GD: Sti Swapped 2.5i // SM Class Build EFR 6758 - Off-Season Maint and Suspension upgrade - Page 9 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Sti Swapped 2.5i // SM Class Build EFR 6758 - Off-Season Maint and Suspension upgrade
Sti Swapped 2.5i // SM Class Build EFR 6758 - Off-Season Maint and Suspension upgrade
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Sti Swapped 2.5i // SM Class Build EFR 6758 - Off-Season Maint and Suspension upgrade

Old 04-10-17, 08:13 PM   #81
jvsoundwave
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 07 UGM Limited #534
Fav Mod: AirLift Baggs
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

jvsoundwave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sti Swapped 2.5i // SM Class Build EFR 6758 - 3-17-17 New Dyno #'s

those new bits are sexy as hell!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-17, 12:09 AM   #82
ben_der
Master Contributor Level 1

Fav Mod: Spec C Steering Rack
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ben_der is just really niceben_der is just really niceben_der is just really niceben_der is just really nice

Sexy parts you got there, Krang!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-22-17, 05:48 PM   #83
Krang
Becoming An Advanced Contributor

Car: 07 STi / EFR 6758
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Krang is on a distinguished road

Received the control arms the other day, I gotta say these are without a doubt one of the most bad-ass pieces of fabrication I have ever seen. Given, I don't see much, but.... they're bad-ass.

One of the main reasons I was drawn to Ray Cunninghams design in the first place was how he reinforced the bottom point of the tie rod ends. You will notice there is a plate that attaches to the bottom of the knuckle, this plate provides an attachment point for the other end of the tie rod attachment. Great stuff.

The additional benefit is, of course, the feedback I will receive by changing out bushings (where I can.. notice it still uses the rear carrier bushing here as per SM rules). However, I wasn't expecting the sheer beefiness of these heim joints. These suckers are huge. Really huge. They must be rated for forces far exceeding what they will ever experience in this application, and sized purely based on available bolt sizes... I don't know really. They're just massive.

I'm really thinking about having some lateral links made in a similar fashion, and then modifying my MSI trailing arms to use heim joints.

Onto the good stuff:

The pieces in the middle are the tie rod ends, they will utilize spacers to adjust the height of the tie rod in relation to the knuckle.

This is one of the heim joints where the ball-joint attachment is utilized. A machined sleeve fits inside this and is secured by a bolt on the other side. I assume I could also utilize washers/spacers to adjust the height or drop of this location. You can see on the next picture the sleeve, and ball-joint replacement that is utilized.

One of the forward attachment points for the control arms, I used a quarter to show how large this is. Also, since this point is adjustable, I can dial in as much or as little caster as I want. I think my only limitation here is going to be binding in the rear bushing which can be corrected a number of ways, I will likely notch out the holes a little more so I don't get any binding once I have a adequate amount of caster here.

Weight comparisons as follows:

Standard Aluminum LCA weights pulled from THIS NABISCO THREAD show they weigh 123.21 ounces with the rear bushing / mount, but not including the ball joint which according to an AMAZON.COM SALE is 12.6oz.

Since were adding two parts to the LCA assembly, the arm itself and also the knuckle reinforcement, I weighed both parts individually.

Arm itself 97.9oz:

Knuckle Reinforcement 39.6oz:

Total: 137.50oz or 14.29oz heavier than stock arms, and don't forget this is without the rear bushing/mount, and when we deduct 12.6oz for the missing ball joint we have a mere 1.69oz difference. Not bad.

So I have a net-gain from the arms but I think the geometry benefit will offset the ~1/10th lb gain I have in the front of the car.

Last edited by Krang; 04-22-17 at 06:21 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-17, 01:44 AM   #84
Krang

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Sti Swapped 2.5i // SM Class Build EFR 6758 - Off-Season Maint and Suspension upg

On the table for the next few weeks are:

To make race worthy:
  • - SS Brake Lines ( How have I not done this already? Idk )
  • - Hone rotors
  • - Swap rear diff to the AST Carbon 1.5 way
  • - Install new front control arms
  • - Install Feal 442's when they arrive
  • - Swap stock front sway / rear wagon sway in
  • - Alignment

If I have time:
  • - Fab my fender airbox
  • - Fab ducting for radiator / heat exchanger
  • - Oil / power steering coolers
  • - Remove radio / speakers
  • - Redo electric / gauges
  • - Swap out passengers seat

Today, I replaced all my wheel suds with ARP extended studs, cleaned up and oiled all my hub faces to ensure there is no runout, and disassembled all the suspension on the front of the car to prepare for the control arms installation.

Ended up just grinding the heads of the ARP studs, way easier, and all-in-all was much easier than I thought it would be to get them all in there.

Last edited by Krang; 07-14-17 at 02:48 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-14-17, 02:33 AM   #85
Krang

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Sti Swapped 2.5i // SM Class Build EFR 6758 - Off-Season Maint and Suspension upg

So, race this Sunday, and I needed to do this:

To make race worthy:
  • - SS Brake Lines ( How have I not done this already? Idk )
  • - Hone rotors
  • - Swap rear diff to the AST Carbon 1.5 way
  • - Install new front control arms
  • - Install Feal 442's when they arrive
  • - Swap stock front sway / rear wagon sway in
  • - Alignment

SS Brake Lines - DONE!)

Hone rotors - DONE!

Where I'm located we just get a ton of rain, coupled with having to park the car uncovered results in some serious rotor rust. This of course kills my bite, and I have to do this every now and then. Using a flex hone delivers great results, and is super fast.

Before:

After:

Swap rear diff to the AST Carbon 1.5 way - DONE!

All-in-all not bad at all, having a fluid transfer pump is a must, and made the job really quite easy. However, it was very difficult drilling out the holes on the driveshaft spindle to fit the DSS Carbon shafts larger hardware, I had nothing available to hold the shaft in place so things got interesting.

New home:

Install new front control arms - DONE!

This required minor drilling to the hub, but not enough that would prevent me from using stock components again, big thanks to Ray Cunningham for the awesome fab work!

Install Feal 442's when they arrive - Will be delivered tomorrow

Can't wait! First set of "serious" dampeners I have ever had, heard many good things. Will likely post up a review soonish.

Swap stock front sway / rear wagon sway in - Will pick up / install tomorrow

A good friend has a stock 20mm front sway and a 17mm rear sway he is going to let me use, going to give the softer bars a shot and see how things work out now that the diff is in.

Alignment - Scheduled Sat 8am

Got a feeling I'm going to spend at least 2 hours on the rack, the front now has more adjustment than the rear, so I'm going to try and see what my limits are for caster and camber before deciding where to settle. I believe I will still be able to get at least my previous settings of 6 degrees + caster and -4.2 degrees camber. Not sure if I should go with some toe out in the rear, but going to try and stick with -2 degrees rear camber, the Hoosiers seemed to like that.

Might even.... WASH THE CAR on Saturday. God forbid.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 07-14-17, 05:20 AM   #86
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud of

Bedding the pads more often seems a lot easier than taking the rotor off and cleaning the surface rust.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-14-17, 09:17 AM   #87
Krang

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
Bedding the pads more often seems a lot easier than taking the rotor off and cleaning the surface rust.
I bed them multiple times in-between doing this, after a while they just seem to lose a bit of power.

I also don't have to take the rotors off, everything just happened to be apart so pics were easy.

You are right though, it could very well be placebo.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-14-17, 04:17 PM   #88
05 STI-STU
Active Participant

Car: 05 STI
Fav Mod: Tires/Seat time
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

05 STI-STU is an unknown quantity at this point

All these parts make bumping up to Spend Money class to race is very tempting. If you need some help dialing those new 2 way 442's id love to help out. I run in group 3 I think.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-24-17, 01:13 PM   #89
Krang

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 STI-STU View Post
All these parts make bumping up to Spend Money class to race is very tempting. If you need some help dialing those new 2 way 442's id love to help out. I run in group 3 I think.
I think we both missed the TNT, see you at the 1st race this weekend?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-24-17, 01:22 PM   #90
Krang

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

First time ever having the car on scales, this is with me in it at around 230lbs. Started off at 50.29 cross weight but the front was too low, after bringing it up a bit we settled down to 49.64%.

Should do for now, I still have a few things to remove to bring the weight down and then we will dial it in perfectly.

- radio / speakers
- passengers seat -> Sparco EvoII
- metal plates in glove box / air bag

So I'm at around 3100lbs, and this is with a AWIC system with a 4ish gal capacity (33.5lbs water), and associated pumps and coolers ( probably about equal weight to a FMIC, but better distributed ( reservoir in the trunk ).

Aside from AC ( can't live without this, sorry not race car enough ), what else can those who know my ruleset think of to remove that I'm forgetting?

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement