GD: Jey's MY04 JBP(SoCal) - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Jey's MY04 JBP(SoCal)
Jey's MY04 JBP(SoCal)
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Jey's MY04 JBP(SoCal)
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Jey's MY04 JBP(SoCal)
Jey's MY04 JBP(SoCal)
Jey's MY04 JBP(SoCal)
Jey's MY04 JBP(SoCal)
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 05-10-16, 04:52 PM   #1
Fascinate
Less mods : Less problems
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: is now 13 years old!
Fav Mod: NEW SHORTBLOCK
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Fascinate is on a distinguished road
Default Jey's MY04 JBP(SoCal)

Greetings IWSTI, and folks from other Subaru forums. I will be creating this journal for the benefit of subbing/donating to the forum. I've been here for 2 years since owning the car previously under the name JeySTi_85. However I've had it changed by a moderator to create a new profile because I'm getting heavy into the forums and learning a lot. After 2 years of owning this car, I am still learning the ins and outs of this crazy sedan. At first I was about to get an EVO, but a buddy of mine convinced me that Subarus were a different community. I'm a nurse by trade, but have been in the car scene for a long time. But these are not Hondas/Acuras... So 2 years ago, a lot of Subarus for sale, many of them had bad titles, and though they were fairly priced, I did find this one at 99k miles/clean title/never wrecked/$14,5k... I thought it was stealing, but I had researched through here for about a month before I bought the car.

It had belonged to a chick that had left it completely stock, but the girl's boyfriend was primarily driving it at times, surprisingly the car was always changed with Shell RT6 and OEM blue filter, there was still a quart and a half in the trunk when I took the car. Was crazy because there was so much girl hair in the car, hair ties/scrunchees.. So I took it and immediately had it detailed In and out, did the 105k service from a friend who's from Japan who owned 3 of these cars. WE talked about leaving it totally bonestock, but he said for maintenance and reliability purposes , he convinced me to get parts that were "better than stock". So as of today this year and nearly 20k miles later---

-Mishimoto radiator
-Tomei turbo inlet(silicone)
-Cobb post-MAF hose
-Grimmspeed AOS

The stock radiator had to go before it cracked(researched). The turbo inlet and the post-MAF hose were changed because the hose clamps(worm clamps) began to wear/tear/rip the stock plastic hoses. AOS...I'm hoping its doing its job, but I did get some heat from a smog tech over it, but he passed me anyway, at least no oil through the turbo passage.

I bought an Accesport and decided to use it as set of gauges monitoring knock and DAM mainly, but I did get the car remote tuned last year. Next month in June, I will be meeting with Mike from Infamous Performance and Bill from Delicious Tuning will be dyno tuning the car(in the case my car is healthy enough). In a couple of weeks a buddy and I are going to replace the OEM radiator hoses with silicone ones and going through the horror of burping the cooling system together. The car feels really strong and healthy, but that could only be human assumption since I drive it. It's up to Mike to determine my compression and leak down on my dyno day. At last 120k miles on a completely original stock block and turbo, I have faith since there are a couple of 02-05 WRXs/STIs on YouTube getting dyno tuned at 180k miles. I don't drive like a maniac because San Diego is full of traffic. I don't AutoX because it'd save me gas money. I just own the car. I will conclude this opening post here, and post something new while we are doing the radiator hoses and having a horrific overheating session over coolant refill and burping the system(sarcasm lol).
Attached Thumbnails
Jey's MY04 JBP(SoCal)-image-jpeg  

San Diego, Killafornia

Last edited by Fascinate; 05-14-16 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Addendum
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-14-16, 06:42 PM   #2
Fascinate

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Jey's MY04 JBP(SoCal)

Just received my parts in the mail already for install in a couple weeks. Preparing for dyno tune at Delicious Tuning June 13th and a nice cooling system for the upcoming hot SoCal weather.

Mishimoto silicone radiator hoses
OEM Ancillary hoses for the upper reservoir with clamps(don't troll me, I don't know why I didn't buy the silicone ones, the damage has been done)...
OEM thermostat/gasket, housing, and bolts
OEM Green coolant...(1 gallon distilled water not pictured obviously &#128516

A friend and I were sarcastically saying we are going to have a horrific time burping the system. But he has the burping funnel that connects to the radiator(Mishimoto). I have left over coolant from another friend so I'm going to use that to fill another quarter gallon to top off the 50:50.
Then I was reading through the forums, in a set paranoia over my bearings approaching 120k miles, all the horror stories of spun bearings at 5500RPM and beyond convinced me to buy a Killer B oil pick-up tube from KNS Brakes. Sweet deal shipped. Hoping to have it installed just in time for tune day. I don't know if my stock oil pick-up is broken, ya know, better safe than sorry...(hopefully lol)

The BEFORE SHOT, will post AFTER when job is finished.

Thanks for stopping by folks!

San Diego, Killafornia
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-14-16, 06:45 PM   #3
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is just really niceGot2Boostit2 is just really niceGot2Boostit2 is just really niceGot2Boostit2 is just really nice

Nice, keep the updates coming.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => http://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 05-17-16, 01:03 PM   #4
Fascinate

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Wife called in today, decided to stay home with her... And!..

Finally change out the parking bulbs. Took about 1 hour. Enjoy the modest view!

San Diego, Killafornia
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-18-16, 03:10 PM   #5
Fascinate

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Oh yes... Not chancing oil starvation. I'll crap myself if my stock one isn't broken. Killer B oil pick up.

San Diego, Killafornia

Last edited by Fascinate; 05-18-16 at 03:39 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-23-16, 02:14 PM   #6
Fascinate

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Well, today we did the radiator hoses, thermostat, and thermostat housing... took a good 2 hours. We've been taking our time. Buddy of mine assisted, is a tech at Toyota but knows the EJ platform really well. It was his spill-free funnel. We used to bleed the cooling system. Kudos to him!
Homeboy measuring hose. Made some trims to the Mishimoto hoses to avoid hitting the alternator pulley and radiator fan. The bottom hose had to be measured as well. It would be pinched at the radiator end. They are both set flushed and good.

And we spilled "some" coolant on the street... Simple green and hose. Totally out of county compliance

We decided to cheat and fill the radiator up all the way first, cap it ---- then straight to the upper reservoir. It burped pretty good, went through 7-8 fan cycles with heater on high.

And to conclude, we test drove the car to pick up his gf. Took 1 gallon of OEM forest green coolant and one gallon of distilled water. No overheating, fans come on at 200F and bring the temps down to 185F. Will open the resevoir tomorrow morning after a cool down and set over night. Successful day for us.

San Diego, Killafornia
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-23-16, 06:30 PM   #7
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is just really niceGot2Boostit2 is just really niceGot2Boostit2 is just really niceGot2Boostit2 is just really nice

Spill free funnel - two thumbs up on the Butler scale!

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => http://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 05-23-16, 08:04 PM   #8
Fascinate

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Boostit2 View Post
Spill free funnel - two thumbs up on the Butler scale!
Thanks! Yea those things are very useful, made life grand! Should be in every Subaru owner's garage! Thanks for stoppin' by!

San Diego, Killafornia
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-26-16, 04:33 PM   #9
Fascinate

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

AND 3 DAYS LATER--- got the Killer B Ult oil Pick Up into the 04 STI. Had mild scares of fitment because of oil pan compatibility, but we got her in. He 04 OEM oil pan fits the Killer B tube. Peace of mind at it's finest. Make sure my bearings are lubricated for Delicious Tuning dyno. Picture is the OEM oil pick up after 12 years. No cracks, just gunk really. I got really lucky all those times I had revisions road tuning my car. Thanks for stopping by!

San Diego, Killafornia
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-27-16, 05:11 PM   #10
STIGR-Wagon-Dad
Master Contributor Level 1

Car: DGM 08 WRX STI Zenki
Fav Mod: RalliTek sway bars+ Kartboy endlinks, Synapse Engineering Diverter valve
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STIGR-Wagon-Dad will become famous soon enoughSTIGR-Wagon-Dad will become famous soon enough

Nice project! Bill did wonders tuning my car.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0