GD: Jey's MY04 JBP(SoCal) - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Jey's MY04 JBP(SoCal)
Jey's MY04 JBP(SoCal)
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Jey's MY04 JBP(SoCal)

Old 07-02-16, 10:49 AM   #21
Fascinate
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: is now 13 years old!
Fav Mod: NEW SHORTBLOCK
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Fascinate is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Jey's MY04 JBP(SoCal)

Greetings,

Just a quick but solid update--- Have been driving for about 250 miles on the new motor so far. Breaking in with recommended grade 5w30, Dino(conventional) oil. If you've seen any of my previous/recent posts about engine break-in, I had a concern that my engine coolant temps were extremely high.

So when Delicious tuned my car on the dyno, there was so much carbon build up in my old motor that the timing was meant for that engine. I'm not doubting the tuner's skills and knowledge, but I just didn't feel safe breaking in a motor driving at 201-203F coolant temp while traveling 80mph. I was tuned on a 3-port boost controller from Grimmspeed. I removed that and went back to stock, and flashed into an OTS stage 1 map from the Cobb AP3. It was basically having a stock tune with richer settings and conservative timing, but my engine temps were much cooler on the highway at 185-190. Unfortunately that I blew my motor on my dyno day lol, it was good money spent, but the experience with Bill of Delicious Tuning was very good. I will have to hook up with him and retune my car after break in. Probably going to sell my 3-port boost controller which was only on the car for 2 weeks and tuned on.

PM if you want to buy the Grimmspeed EBCS, would let it go for a solid $100... its practically brand new with all the hoses still connected for a 2004 STI. Anyway, Happy 4th of July to all of you! Drive safe!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-16, 12:02 PM   #22
STIGR-Wagon-Dad
Master Contributor Level 1

Car: DGM 08 WRX STI Zenki
Fav Mod: RalliTek sway bars+ Kartboy endlinks, Synapse Engineering Diverter valve
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STIGR-Wagon-Dad has a spectacular aura aboutSTIGR-Wagon-Dad has a spectacular aura about

I wouldn't worry about temps being where it is. It is summer time. If it starts getting past 212, then I would start troubleshooting. How are you breaking in the engine and who put it together? I broke mine in varying load, rpm (keeping below 4500), boost around 10 psi, and engine braking. Majority of the break in was done at Palomar mountain. My bottom end is all forged and it doesn't burn oil
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-02-16, 02:19 PM   #23
Fascinate

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIGR-Wagon-Dad View Post
I wouldn't worry about temps being where it is. It is summer time. If it starts getting past 212, then I would start troubleshooting. How are you breaking in the engine and who put it together? I broke mine in varying load, rpm (keeping below 4500), boost around 10 psi, and engine braking. Majority of the break in was done at Palomar mountain. My bottom end is all forged and it doesn't burn oil
Yea I'm doing the same break in, variable load, variable RPM, not higher than 4500rpm considering if I have to climb hilly highways on the 15 or 805. Yes I get into boost maybe 4-8psi this first hundred miles. Read it was good to help seat the rings in really well. Yes and engine braking most of the time. Unfortunately I don't have any upgraded internals. I only went for the straight OEM short block. So far so good no oil consumption. Still checking my Oil level, it's still full over on the notch mark above full.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-17, 07:20 AM   #24
Fascinate

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Hey guys, I haven't been on here in several months, been very busy with life. The motor is running like a champ. General maintenance keeping the STI alive and well. I just switched to Rotella T6 after an extensive long daily drive break-in period of near 10k miles. Was previously on Castrol Dino 5-30. Went through a chilly winter, and now things are starting to heat up in San Diego, Ca. Recently did the front rotors with KNS 4k discs wth StopTech performance pads. Also decided to add some aesthetics, added a front lip to the ride. I recently have a new job that requires me to drive more as a home health nurse, so I know that my oil change interval will be shortened due to the severe conditions of stop-and-go street driving and warm weather, 3,000mi sounds about right. Thanks for stopping by, hope ya'll like the modest lip in the photos. Take care and be safe everyone.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-18-17, 01:03 AM   #25
Guardian-X-
Advanced Contributor Level 5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Ecutek racerom tune
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Guardian-X- is on a distinguished road

Good luck with the new shortblock. Lip has a nice oem look to it .. i like it. Hopefully the car will give you another (major) trouble free 120k.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement