IW STi Forum banner

2004 WRX STI Family Car Progress

GD: 
81K views 330 replies 31 participants last post by  TimM 
#1 · (Edited)
Owned this car for nearly 12 years and with the decision to install a new engine this year...likely means an investment for another 12 years...

Bought new in Omaha, Nebraska...3rd STI in the city at the time.

It became our 'family car' for next 8 years...much of the time with multiple baby seats in the back seat. :)

Wonderful day picking it up...12.5 miles on the odometer.

Look how fresh it is!

Changed oil at 500 miles with Pennzoil 5W-30 conventional oil, then again at 1000 miles to Mobil 1 5W-30 which we used for the life of the car until just recently (0W-40 M1).

As the odometer passed 1000 miles-break in was complete...we were hitting the redline! Prior to that we were religious to not exceed 4000 rpm and most of the time 3000 rpm and always a light throttle. I do wonder if this is key to a long, healthy engine as we had nil oil consumption even to its replacement...still counting at 169,000 miles (except track events-.5 quart consumed).

First top speed run @ 2,170 miles...153 mile indicated...hard into limiter.

First drag visit (@ 3,120 miles / 13.57 @ 100 MPH / Scribner, NE):

First autocross (@ 9,500 miles / Lincoln, NE / 5th of 100 cars):

Transfer to United Kingdom (via Baltimore Port):

Only one minor scratch!

Nurburgring Visits (3):

Snetterton Track Visit (UK / Lotus Test Track):

Bedford Autodrome Visit (UK):

Donington Park Track Visit (UK):

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/video-collection/105254-lap-donington-park-uk-o4-sti.html

Cadwell Park ("UK Nurburgring") Track Visit:

Autobahn Run:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/video-collection/61231-150-mph-speed-limiter-autobahn.html

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: yazel
#2 · (Edited)
Transition from Family Car to Fun Car...

Added a Cobb TBE, Cobb Sway Bars, Sparco Pro-2000 seat, and update to Cobb Stage II setting.

Had my 100,000 mile Ohlins Fixed Perch Struts rebuilt by Feal along with set of RCE Yellow springs and offset front camber mounts.

Nice .75 inch drop:

Nifty Offset Camber Strut Mounts (-1.5 negative)

Added BFG Rivals in 245/40-17 size (OEM is 225/45-17):

Sebring Track Visit:

Autocrosses (20 so far):

Drag Visit #2 at Bradenton Dragway, Florida (153,250 miles / Stage II / 12.84 @ 105 MPH):

Updated to Perrin 2.4 inch Turbo Inlet (OEM was damaged at the turbo):

Reactions: yazel
#9 ·
I've owned an '04, '06, and currently have an '07, and now I'm kicking myself for never taking chassis/engine photos of ANY of them when I first brought them home. I LOVE those photos you posted!
I'm officially jealous of you too, as you fulfilled one of my current fantasies; you got to drive your STi on the Nurburgring. I took 4 laps on the Nurburgring in our Diesel Audi A6 which we rented when I went to Germany with my family and that was just a big tease. The automatic gearbox made it feel like I had an arm tied behind my back.

Lastly, the photo of the sod in your trunk is upsetting : )

#10 · (Edited)
I have a few more of the car new (I think 2 days old). I recall at the time I felt a bit odd as magazines had all the imagery already...but the detail that now comes out for an aged car is striking. Every metal surface is bright and shiny, etc.

sti2relaxxin: Nurburgring-great track. I actually had more fun renting a Ring car...the cheapest, but semi-race prepped Suzuki Swift (cage, tires, suspension, and an extra .4 hp from the air filter). As they say, the best handling car in the world is a rental car...

In the Subaru, was ~8 hours from home (and 4 countries) during those trips so driving was kept at the 7/10 level).

I tried to find some images of the Christmas tree sticking out the trunk each year (4 years), but no dice. It has hauled plenty of sod (typically 18 squares at a time) always with plenty of plastic and thorough vacuuming following!

:)

#13 · (Edited)
Placed an order for a Blouch 1.5 XTR turbo with 3 inch inlet and 10 CM outlet.

I'd love to make some decent power, but the street manners and autocross response kept me from going any larger. Although this is my first foray into modifying a turbocharged car. We will see if I'm too conservative or will be disappointed removing the original VF39 turbo (it does have a slight crack in the waste-gate area, but sure runs very well).

Plan to chassis dyno the car as it sits-wish it was completely stock, but it is not.
Current:
Cobb AP Stage II
K+N Typhoon
Perrin 2.4 Turbo Inlet
Cobb TBE

169,000 miles and 22.5 mpg average on a tank

Next, same chassis dyno shop tune with (23 psi? / 93 octane):
Blouch 1.5 XTR 3 inch inlet/10 cm outlet
Perrin 3 inch Turbo Inlet
Process West TMIC
850 cc Injectors (Top Feed Conversion)
Grimmspeed Electronic Boost Control Solenoid
TVG Deletes
Walbro Fuel Pump

Finally, same chassis dyno shop tune with (23 psi? / 93 octane):
New Long Block with Cosworth Cylinder Heads
Cobb Up Pipe
Ported Exhaust Manifolds

Any comments? Thanks.

Reactions: MiLaB21
#14 ·
I built my 05' for road course use primarily. It had an FP Red turbo when I acquired it. I changed it to a Blouch 18g XTR. Some thought it would be too small. If you check out my dyno sheet Although have 14 HP MAX less, I gained 22 HP average. From my perspective I moved 20 HP from over 6K rpm into the power curve under 6K rpm where I have more opportunity to use it. I love the responsiveness, its much better coming out of slow corners.

I LOVE your history with the car! Good luck with the new engine!

#15 ·
bossdog: Thanks. Honestly, figured I would keep the car for quite a bit as it fits my requirements so kept a bit of a log as I went. It has been thru 12 countries as well-used to have a flag of each on the side window (small decals) as we checked off each one.

I hear you on the turbo response. Autocross it is even more evident, but likely can be minimized with a good driver, I suppose.

This video alone shows me shifting 8 times...not counting the initial accel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eVP_0d597k

I was surprised, but the gearing is relatively short. I recall a course that had a 'pin' turn...I took FTD by over a second on entire field, all because the car would come out in second and once the boost hit (very early) it accelerated far better than any other car. The organizers haven't used a pin turn since... :)

I've reviewed your journal...lots of useful info-thanks.

#16 ·
Finally moving to the next stage...prepare the new shortblock for disassembly!

It really is a box motor...:

Even fits on my previously Chevy only stand:

Amazing I just picked the little powerhouse up and stuck it on the stand...so much easier than a 150 pound block of iron-I like these little engines. Amazing it supports 300 + HP stock.

Hate to take it apart, but new rods seem like an easy deal for ~$400 update along with the Cosworth Pistons.

Reactions: yamahaSHO
#17 ·
Yep, they're not heavy at all. I think the bare block on my SHO weight much as an STi long block. The SHO crank was also something like 50lbs (long block with intake and exhaust manifolds was nearly 500lbs).

Building motors can be fun!

Been meaning to ask you... Where in Omaha/Bellevue did you live?

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
I resided in La Vista off of 96th Street.

Your suggestion on the rods makes sense...I would like a few more RPMs out of the engine.

I will say the cylinder heads are fairly substantial in weight and size compared to the shortblock.

#20 ·
Turbo arrived...Blouch 1.5 XTR with 3 inch inlet and 10 CM outlet (coated hot section):

Billet compressor wheel close up:

Turbine:

Exhaust Inlet:

Hope it all works!

Reactions: yamahaSHO
#21 ·
Amazing history on a car that has really been used the way it should. I bought a 350z back in 04 instead of an STi and ended up trading it for an 07 STi and now an 11. Your planned build is exactly what I'm considering.

#22 ·
lidrew: Glad you enjoy. I catch myself reviewing it as well-quite a few experiences a car offers. I've been very fortunate to have it just at the right time for career/family it seems. Additionally, I had more than a couple folks tell me the car wouldn't be reliable back in 2003-glad Subaru proved them wrong or it would have been a short relationship.

Coworker had a 350Z Track Pack (2004?) as well. We did Snetterton track event together in the UK...similar brakes, but vastly different powerplants/chassis. Great fun to sample his car (passenger) and then jump into mine. Loved its exhaust note and seating arrangement (felt like a race car as low slung sports cars do).

I hope my engine update pans out-lots of folks with assembly/tune issues with these engines and I'm not exactly an experienced builder. :)

#23 ·
What is hiding under the car cover with the little mag-lite wheels?

Have been enjoying reading your car history, really fun seeing your car brand new too! I also love seeing these cars as practical family cars that allow for fun time. I didn't gather, did your engine fail, or are you just upgrading as a project?

#24 · (Edited)
The original Smart car...1972 Mini 1000 (38 HP / 45 MPG!). Benefit of being in UK for 3 years.

No I'm not a giant! Checking the oil prior to its 'first' trip on the British Motorway (highway)...seriously. Car had 12,282 miles on it and never left the suburb in London.

Original engine is going strong and do hate to pull it, but more power is required and instead of failing the mill at the track and being down extended period (daily drive it 250 miles a week), I've got the opportunity to freshen it up on my schedule.

I'm impressed with Subaru reliability, but nearing 170,000 miles...I expect something has got to give as I hope to add another 100 HP.

#26 ·
^^ I knew it was a Mini! Short hood, fender mirrors, maglites.

I have an '70 MGB GT that I love, so it's nice seeing other subie owners with the British bug too.

Yeah my motor just blew in my 04. I guess the previous owner didn't replace the pulleys when he did the timing belt (cheapo!), and a bearing exploded in my timing assembly. So I'm doing an engine swap now at 165k, but just going with a stock ej207. It is the twinscroll version tho, so it should be pretty nice.
Look forward to your progress...

#27 ·
QuailEyes: I should clarify on the condition of the original engine. It does have an issue-overheats/pushes coolant on a road course. I don't do track events much now, but last two trips to Sebring the car filled the overflow tank and began to run hot (within last 18 months). That ended my day earlier than liked. Between the events, I confirmed I had a good fill/bleed of coolant and new OEM caps. I then had it tested a week after the event for combustion gases in the coolant-no telltale.

Outside of track events-absolutely no issues with the cooling.

It also leaks oil...oil pump / oil pan area and possibly the cam seals.

I can't eliminate track events from the fun, oil leaks are unpleasant, and possibility the car may go overseas again...time to assemble a new powerplant.

Mini: I enjoy the engineering of it...engine/trans share the same lube oil, rubber biscuits for suspension springs, and 10 inch wheels with 7.5 inch brake rotors. Impressive packaging. Besides UK, these cars are dime a dozen like a Cobalt/Cavalier here. It is a clown car. I began driving in a $600 1971 MG Midget with chrome wire wheels. Forced me to work on cars...

#29 ·
QuailEyes: I should clarify on the condition of the original engine. It does have an issue-overheats/pushes coolant on a road course. I don't do track events much now, but last two trips to Sebring the car filled the overflow tank and began to run hot (within last 18 months). That ended my day earlier than liked. Between the events, I confirmed I had a good fill/bleed of coolant and new OEM caps. I then had it tested a week after the event for combustion gases in the coolant-no telltale.

Outside of track events-absolutely no issues with the cooling.
TimM- If you are only experiencing coolant going into the overflow tank at track events there is a good chance you'll need new head gaskets. I just had them replaced on my car due to the coolant system purging the coolant into the overflow tank only under boost. If I drove around without any boost the system would perform perfectly. The issue is that the increased pressure under boost lifts the heads and introduces air to the system, thus creating air bubbles in the coolant and making your system overflow into that tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.