GD: Project Silverstreak: Time Attack #3 pics and vid! - Page 9 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Project Silverstreak: Time Attack #3 pics and vid!
Project Silverstreak: Time Attack #3 pics and vid!
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Project Silverstreak: Time Attack #3 pics and vid!

Old 03-20-17, 06:35 AM   #81
raisingAnarchy
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: CBS '16 STI
Fav Mod: Driver mod
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

raisingAnarchy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Project Silverstreak: Perrin Gauge install!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubySal View Post
It's splined on the end. That part is still stuck in the CV joint itself.

Image Link
Holy shit! Thanks for the info. Besides getting the splined end out, do you have to worry about the CV joint itself?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-17, 06:57 AM   #82
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: everything done so far
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubySal will become famous soon enoughSubySal will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingAnarchy View Post
Holy shit! Thanks for the info. Besides getting the splined end out, do you have to worry about the CV joint itself?
I just left the broken end in the joint and bought a new half shaft assembly from Subaru. I did save the old one for spare parts.

So according to Driveshaft Shop the CV's are made out of the Japanese equivalent of 4130 chrome moly steel. The axle shaft itself is made out of something a bit weaker. I think Subaru did this on purpose. The outer stub shaft holds the wheel bearings together. Designing the axle to break first allows the car to still be driven. Just lock the center diff and go. I would not drive it on the highway, but I was able to drive it off the course and onto a friend's trailer. If the stub shaft broke the bearings would have been destroyed and the wheel assembly could have came off. It's this thought that kept me from buying the DSS axle shaft upgrade kit. I was concerned about moving the weakest link to the stub shaft.

A friend of mine with a more prepped car has broken a half dozen or so. Always the left rear, always the same place ...the outer spline on the axle shaft. He can change them out in about 5-10 minutes. Unless you launch the car hard enough to break the tires loose it's probably not something an STI owner would have to worry about. As for me I'm going to buy a spare shaft to keep on hand. I'm not sure I'll try and change it at the track though.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 04-11-17, 08:01 AM   #83
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

So I tried to install a PST carbon driveshaft. In short it didn't fit.

You can see in the pic there is virtually no clearance between the body and the car and the shaft.

In the end I couldn't figure out why my car is different. All the bushings have been replaced, but save for a few they are mostly group N. There's no body distortion issues so everything should have been located precisely where it was supposed to be. The one bushing I thought might have changed clearances was the Whiteline outrigger bushings, but they where within a couple millimeters of the OE dimensions. Rally Sport customer service was great in trying to help me solve this problem, but after we exhausted all possible ideas I had to return the shaft. They did also offer to have a custom shaft made specifically for my car. With race season here I didn't have time to mess with all that, but may down the road. The only thing I can come up with is a friend of mine that owns a Subaru repair shop said the chassis can be out of spec 3/4" of an inch from the factory. It might be that variance that caused my clearance issues. Anyway that's the best guess so so far.

The reason I wanted a one piece shaft is to get rid of the carrier bearing assembly. The slop in the rubber cushion drives me crazy because I know that's where most of the bucking in low gears comes from. So then Plan B... well technically C. I tried this first with a compound called Versimold and it proved to be hard to work with and too soft for my application.

So my plan is to use something called a liquid engine mount kit form a company called DST. It's basically 400ml of liquid two-part poly urethane. It comes in four durometer ratings. 60A, 80A, 80A High-performance and 94A. I'm going with the 80A HP. It should come close to the durometer rating of group N bushings which should help to keep things consistent. I know NVH will go up a bit, but it shouldn't be too bad relative to what it is already. I'm going to remove the driveshaft and fill the cushion that surrounds the carrier bearing. The kit costs around $40 so if it does the job I'll be happy.

to be continued...
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-17, 12:54 PM   #84
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is just really niceGot2Boostit2 is just really niceGot2Boostit2 is just really niceGot2Boostit2 is just really niceGot2Boostit2 is just really nice

Subysal,

That portion of the car when I installed the ACPT driveshaft had to be clearanced/finessed/beat the shit out of with a BFH a few times. I'll try and link the image.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => http://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-11-17, 01:11 PM   #85
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Boostit2 View Post
Subysal,

That portion of the car when I installed the ACPT driveshaft had to be clearanced/finessed/beat the shit out of with a BFH a few times. I'll try and link the image.
Yes. I have heard this same thing from a couple friends of mine I race with. This was not something that was made known when I purchased the driveshaft nor was it something I was willing to do. The advantages of a carbon shaft would be awesome, but if I can get the results I want by adding urethane to the oe shaft bushing without altering the body structure I'll be happy with that.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-11-17, 04:25 PM   #86
TimM
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2004 WRX STI
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

TimM will become famous soon enough

I went with a Driveshaft Shop carbon fiber shaft...no clearance issues. It may be smaller diameter, but after 60K+ miles works as advertised.
Stage III: 327 WHP / 12.73 @ 106 MPH
Stage IV: 412 WHP / 367 WTQ / 12.28 @ 112 MPH
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-11-17, 08:13 PM   #87
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

I've heard the DSS shaft is a smaller diameter, but the guys I race with have not had good luck with them. Apparently the bond between the carbon and metal gives up after so many hard launches. That's actually the main reason I went with the PST, I originally wanted a DSS shaft. Theoretically I should be able to get PST to make a smaller diameter shaft for my application. I'm running half the torque the RSD spec shaft is rated for. I just don't have the time right now to go through all that. Also if the poly plan works I'd rather put the 1k towards something else... like a trailer.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-12-17, 12:54 PM   #88
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

So plan C or as I like to call it Liquid Schwartz has arrived. Shooting for tomorrow to get this done.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-13-17, 07:02 PM   #89
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Just for reference here's what the Versimold looked like. It's just not good for this application. I could not get it to cure all the way through using heat. I had to push it in too.

It was imperative to get the shaft dead nuts level. Here's a shot before I poured in the poly. I also cleaned the cavity thoroughly and used an adhesive promoter.

The urethane flowed so well I was able to use a syringe to suck it out of the container and slowly fill the bushing (to avoid air bubbles). This method worked really well and I was able to fill it to the top without over flowing.

I had to set the shop thermostat to 77F and now have to wait 7 days for it to cure properly. This stuff is very exacting. I feel like I should go buy a lab coat just to use it.

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 04-13-17, 07:26 PM   #90
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Project Silverstreak: playing with poly...

On another subject I'm pretty excited my local track is doing some improvements to make the Time Attacks more fun!!!

http://www.youtube.com/v/-eU2ZHIBY1E
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement