GD: Project Silverstreak: Perrin Gauge install! - Page 9 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Project Silverstreak: Perrin Gauge install!
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Project Silverstreak: Perrin Gauge install!
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 03-20-17, 06:35 AM   #81
raisingAnarchy
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: CBS '16 STI
Fav Mod: Driver mod
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

raisingAnarchy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Project Silverstreak: Perrin Gauge install!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubySal View Post
It's splined on the end. That part is still stuck in the CV joint itself.

Image Link
Holy shit! Thanks for the info. Besides getting the splined end out, do you have to worry about the CV joint itself?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-20-17, 06:57 AM   #82
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: everything done so far
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubySal will become famous soon enoughSubySal will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Project Silverstreak: Perrin Gauge install!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingAnarchy View Post
Holy shit! Thanks for the info. Besides getting the splined end out, do you have to worry about the CV joint itself?
I just left the broken end in the joint and bought a new half shaft assembly from Subaru. I did save the old one for spare parts.

So according to Driveshaft Shop the CV's are made out of the Japanese equivalent of 4130 chrome moly steel. The axle shaft itself is made out of something a bit weaker. I think Subaru did this on purpose. The outer stub shaft holds the wheel bearings together. Designing the axle to break first allows the car to still be driven. Just lock the center diff and go. I would not drive it on the highway, but I was able to drive it off the course and onto a friend's trailer. If the stub shaft broke the bearings would have been destroyed and the wheel assembly could have came off. It's this thought that kept me from buying the DSS axle shaft upgrade kit. I was concerned about moving the weakest link to the stub shaft.

A friend of mine with a more prepped car has broken a half dozen or so. Always the left rear, always the same place ...the outer spline on the axle shaft. He can change them out in about 5-10 minutes. Unless you launch the car hard enough to break the tires loose it's probably not something an STI owner would have to worry about. As for me I'm going to buy a spare shaft to keep on hand. I'm not sure I'll try and change it at the track though.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0