GD: Project Silverstreak: Loving it! - Page 11 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Project Silverstreak: Loving it!
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Project Silverstreak: Loving it!
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 05-17-17, 09:40 AM   #101
brapp
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2005 STi
Fav Mod: going from GR -> GD
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

brapp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Project Silverstreak: driveshaft is back in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubySal View Post
Image Link

The Time Attacks are kinda like a big autocross, but also very different. You don't work the events. There is no membership required. You just show up, pay the entry fee and proceed to grid. Though this last event had a short course the courses are usually longer and faster. You get 5 runs per event... and fun runs most of the time (depending on weather and such). They run the whole grid at once so there is more time between runs. Some SCCA guys don't like this, but I do. 71R's run better cold and it's nice not having to rush between runs. The track surface has at least twice the grip of the back lot and is very smooth. PPIR is constantly working to improve the events and even the course itself. They've recently added a bunch of turn sections to the infield to expand course designs. In fact they are working on new improvements on the infield right now.

Most of the news and activity about events is focused on the facebook page here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/7125...?ref=bookmarks

The rules, roster, overview, etc. are here:
http://ppir.com/page/25
Sounds awesome. I love our local SCCA events, but if I were to change things... it would be faster, longer courses less focused on slaloms and a bit more of a relaxed sort of attitude. This sounds right up my alley. Also would be cool for the girlfriend to get out on some longer/faster events. She's killing it in autox but pretty nervous about jumping up to a HPDE event.

I'm about 4-5 hrs from the Springs... looks like I'll probably be making the trip for the July event at least, hopefully some of the fall ones too.

Last edited by brapp; 05-17-17 at 09:50 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-18-17, 10:13 PM   #102
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: everything done so far
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubySal will become famous soon enoughSubySal will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Project Silverstreak: Loving it!

Ya know I'm giving the SCCA a break. I'm not even renewing my membership this year. I'm tired of the way the SCCA does things. Just too much regulation not enough driving for me. The icing on the cake is two years after I spent a heap of money and time building my STI for STU they dropped Corvettes and 350Z's into the class. I (and others I'm sure) wrote many letters to the SEB that fell on deaf ears about how true sports cars don't belong in STU.... give them their own class! We can't compete with that kind of car with our rule set.

They came back with lame excuses like the Vette's don't have optimal gearing and such. When those cars took the first four spots at Nats in their first year competing the SEB then made an allowance for AWD's to go up to 265's. I can't fit those. Everyone I know with GD's that went to 265's either changes tires at the track because they rub so badly or has the struts/coilovers modified to get enough backspacing to fit them properly. I'm not doing that. I like my car's balance with 245's and I don't want to start popping half-shafts.

Since the SCCA is all about competition and they effectively outmoded my car there is no incentive for me to bother with them. In fact I feel a bit alienated. The SCCA says they're a club, but they are really a business looking for a buck. Sport compact cars are yesterday's news. They are not many of us left so we get pushed to the back. CAM is the new fav. Hmm... I guess I didn't need to say all that. Take it for what it's worth. I'm just really glad the Time Attacks came along.

Time Attacks focus on the drive and having fun. The courses are not as technical, but they are challenging and flow well. They are fast and the surface is grippy. The way I see it, Autocross is for competitors and Time Attacks are for drivers.

If you like to drive I'm fairly sure you'll like the Time Attacks!
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 05-19-17, 05:33 AM   #103
raisingAnarchy

Car: CBS '16 STI
Fav Mod: Driver mod
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

raisingAnarchy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Ya know I'm giving the SCCA a break. I'm not even renewing my membership this year. I'm tired of the way the SCCA does things. Just too much regulation not enough driving for me. The icing on the cake is two years after I spent a heap of money and time building my STI for STU they dropped Corvettes and 350Z's into the class. I (and others I'm sure) wrote many letters to the SEB that fell on deaf ears about how true sports cars don't belong in STU.... give them their own class! We can't compete with that kind of car with our rule set.

They came back with lame excuses like the Vette's don't have optimal gearing and such. When those cars took the first four spots at Nats in their first year competing the SEB then made an allowance for AWD's to go up to 265's. I can't fit those. Everyone I know with GD's that went to 265's either changes tires at the track because they rub so badly or has the struts/coilovers modified to get enough backspacing to fit them properly. I'm not doing that. I like my car's balance with 245's and I don't want to start popping half-shafts.

Since the SCCA is all about competition and they effectively outmoded my car there is no incentive for me to bother with them. In fact I feel a bit alienated. The SCCA says they're a club, but they are really a business looking for a buck. Sport compact cars are yesterday's news. They are not many of us left so we get pushed to the back. CAM is the new fav. Hmm... I guess I didn't need to say all that. Take it for what it's worth. I'm just really glad the Time Attacks came along.

Time Attacks focus on the drive and having fun. The courses are not as technical, but they are challenging and flow well. They are fast and the surface is grippy. The way I see it, Autocross is for competitors and Time Attacks are for drivers.

Who hosts the Time Attack events? Are you saying for SCCA or a separate club all together?

Also, bummer about the change to STU. I was thinking about getting more involved in SCCA, but between you and Jack Baruth's complaints it's making me a little reluctant. I'm sure if I was tracking a C6 vette or something it'd be great, but I'm not and don't ever plan on it.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-19-17, 06:10 AM   #104
brapp

Car: 2005 STi
Fav Mod: going from GR -> GD
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

brapp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The way I see it, Autocross is for competitors and Time Attacks are for drivers.

I completely hear you on that. I often feel that a large percentage of the folks at our SCCA races are there almost exclusively to talk about classes and rules and less so to actually just go race cars.

And then when/if they get beaten, more often than not the discussion is about how that person classed themselves wrong, or how that's a cheater car, or whatever. Not just about holy crap that dude just pulled a crazy time.

Anyways... I'm pretty stoked to have found out about these. Seems there's lots more racing/events in CO than appears at first (google) glance. Definitely planning on the July one and hopefully some fall ones.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-19-17, 10:44 AM   #105
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: everything done so far
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubySal will become famous soon enoughSubySal will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingAnarchy View Post
Who hosts the Time Attack events? Are you saying for SCCA or a separate club all together?

Also, bummer about the change to STU. I was thinking about getting more involved in SCCA, but between you and Jack Baruth's complaints it's making me a little reluctant. I'm sure if I was tracking a C6 vette or something it'd be great, but I'm not and don't ever plan on it.
The Time Attacks are done in-house by the racetrack. The SCCA has nothing to do with it. Vette's never get outclassed. I think it's because the higher ups at the SCCA race them, but who knows. The SCCA events can be fun though. They are worth checking out. Then you can make your own determination..

Quote:
Originally Posted by brapp View Post
I completely hear you on that. I often feel that a large percentage of the folks at our SCCA races are there almost exclusively to talk about classes and rules and less so to actually just go race cars.

And then when/if they get beaten, more often than not the discussion is about how that person classed themselves wrong, or how that's a cheater car, or whatever. Not just about holy crap that dude just pulled a crazy time.
Yea, I've seen that occasionally. I try to stay out of the drama. I think for the most part the people that run/participate are a great bunch. My problem is the regulations get in the way of driving. COR does a better job at getting in more runs than CDR... but 3 or 4 runs for $40-45 plus yearly membership and you have to work and such.... blah. It comes down to math for me. Time Attacks are a better value.

Quote:
Anyways... I'm pretty stoked to have found out about these. Seems there's lots more racing/events in CO than appears at first (google) glance. Definitely planning on the July one and hopefully some fall ones.
Take a look at the Growlfest at PPIR put on by Hueberger Motors. That is the most fun I'vs ever had at a driving event. The entry was $30 something and we ran all day. I got like 15 runs!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-19-17, 10:52 AM   #106
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by brapp View Post

And that's a major reason I like the race track.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0