GD: Carl's 05 SM Class STi - Ain't nobody got time fo dat - Page 14 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Carl's 05 SM Class STi - Ain't nobody got time fo dat
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Carl's 05 SM Class STi - Ain't nobody got time fo dat
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 09-28-16, 07:12 AM   #131
Kyle_05_STi
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: twinscroll
My Subaru Parts for sale

Kyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura aboutKyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Carl's 05 Stock Turbo SM Class STi - LeMons Racing!

Sorry to hear about the other drivers. The HPDE I did a few weeks ago had pretty crowded run groups as well, but everyone was respectful for the most part. There was a C63 AMG that was driving very aggressively in the novice group I was in, but other than that there were no issues.

RE-71R's don't seem to be a very long-lasting option based on your feedback and what I've heard from others. Great grip, but quick-wearing.

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 09-28-16, 11:08 AM   #132
SolidSTI
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: Matte Black Vinvl
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

SolidSTI is on a distinguished road

It might just be my driving plus a heavy car, because they still look brand new on my buddy's Cayman S. Maybe he was driving smoother/easier.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-15-16, 05:50 AM   #133
SolidSTI

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Just got back from MSR Houston's LeMons race. Check our team facebook for lot's of pics. "Team Too Soon Junior"

Saturday one of us spun the car and couldn't get restarted. It required a tow back to pits, and into the penalty box. GP090110 - YouTube

Sunday one of us pass on curbing breaking a wheel and blowing a strut. We swapped on a spare wheel/tire. GP040111 - YouTube

We ended up P4 in B-Class and P11 overall.

24 Hours of LeMons - MSR Houston 11/13/16 - Carl Race Start - YouTube

Last edited by SolidSTI; 11-16-16 at 09:55 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-03-17, 05:11 AM   #134
SolidSTI

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Carl's 05 SM Class STi - Compression, how low can you go?

It was about time for timing belt service, but figured I should get a leakdown and compression test. The car has 98k hard miles on it and is starting to seem a little down on power on straights, as lower HP cars are keeping up.

Welp, compression is in the 125-130PSI range across all 4, leakdown was in the 6%-8% area. Very even wear which is nice, but definitely tired.

Right now I've got 3 options
1. OEM Refresh, sell car for some other track thing that I cannot ever decide on
2. OEM Refresh, keep running it for track use
3. Have an engine built for track use and run something like the 71HTA or that 18G XTR with the 7cm. I'd target about 350whp and fast spooling.

Either way I am going to start running 100 octane when on track for extra protection.

If you guys have some turbo suggestions let me know. 71HTA, 18G XTR 7cm, and Dom 1.5 have been kicked around.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-03-17, 06:53 PM   #135
Kyle_05_STi
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: twinscroll
My Subaru Parts for sale

Kyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura aboutKyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSTI View Post
It was about time for timing belt service, but figured I should get a leakdown and compression test. The car has 98k hard miles on it and is starting to seem a little down on power on straights, as lower HP cars are keeping up.

Welp, compression is in the 125-130PSI range across all 4, leakdown was in the 6%-8% area. Very even wear which is nice, but definitely tired.

Right now I've got 3 options
1. OEM Refresh, sell car for some other track thing that I cannot ever decide on
2. OEM Refresh, keep running it for track use
3. Have an engine built for track use and run something like the 71HTA or that 18G XTR with the 7cm. I'd target about 350whp and fast spooling.

Either way I am going to start running 100 octane when on track for extra protection.

If you guys have some turbo suggestions let me know. 71HTA, 18G XTR 7cm, and Dom 1.5 have been kicked around.
I'm going to go out there and say those numbers are pretty ideal considering the mileage and in no way indicate that a rebuild is necessary. Unless you're looking for an excuse to build, in which case it's definitely screwed.

6-8% leakdown is really good for the mileage, a brand new build is usually around 5%.

125-130 psi compression isn't abnormal for a STi, that's where mine was before the build (I lost head gaskets, car ran as strong as ever). Keep in mind that different compression test gauges may read differently, which is why it's important to pay more attention to the variance between cylinders than how high the numbers are.

That said, the 71HTA can't be beat for the price. Two good friends of mine have made the switch to the 71HTA and are very happy with it. One is at 365/350 on Pure Tuning's Mustang dyno on 93, the other made a little less but his tune is more conservative.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 03-06-17, 10:54 AM   #136
SolidSTI

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Yeah, the wear was super even which made me happy. Just seems a little on the tired side. Guess I COULD save some coin and keep running it on track.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-06-17, 11:08 AM   #137
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud of

I'd personally run it until it needs replacing, but build a motor on the side. Makes for an easy swap when the time comes with minimal downtime.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-15-17, 07:11 AM   #138
SolidSTI

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Been busy with USPSA and two LeMons races so far this year.

I do more wheel to wheel now than HPDE, so doing some crazy STi build just isn't a priority yet. I'll run the car until it needs engine work. Sunday decided to start replacing the belt and water pump. Used two company 23 camlock tools to make the process super easy.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0