GD: BlueScooby's 06 STI - HyperFest (Pics&Vids) - Page 84 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
BlueScooby's 06 STI - HyperFest (Pics&Vids)
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: BlueScooby's 06 STI - HyperFest (Pics&Vids)
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 05-18-17, 04:51 AM   #831
BlueScooby
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: Recaro Pole Position and Shifter Bushings!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a jewel in the roughBlueScooby is a jewel in the roughBlueScooby is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - WedsSport Wheels are HERE!

when your job flies you up to Philly for the day and you get one of these babys as your rental

Bluescooby's 06 STI Journal
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 05-18-17, 09:44 AM   #832
TurboRev
Active Participant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Silver 2015 WRT STI
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

TurboRev is an unknown quantity at this point

Great Post BlueScooby. Keep up the good work and keep us updated with pics and vids.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 05-18-17, 07:01 PM   #833
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a jewel in the roughBlueScooby is a jewel in the roughBlueScooby is a jewel in the rough

Just swapped on the carbotech pads for Saturday and bedded them in. Whoa they be dusty! But much better bite than the DS2500s I normally run. I found myself not needing nearly as much pressure to get the car to dive down to a stop...

Saturday should be interesting considering I have upped the power, brakes, and tires from last time... Time to start getting a feel for the extra performance

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 05-18-17, 07:02 PM   #834
TBAG
Advanced Mastery Level I

Car: WRB Bugeye STI
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Subaru Parts for sale

TBAG is a splendid one to beholdTBAG is a splendid one to beholdTBAG is a splendid one to beholdTBAG is a splendid one to beholdTBAG is a splendid one to beholdTBAG is a splendid one to beholdTBAG is a splendid one to behold

Video needed.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-19-17, 01:51 AM   #835
ben_der
Master Contributor Level 1

Fav Mod: Spec C Steering Rack
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ben_der is a jewel in the roughben_der is a jewel in the roughben_der is a jewel in the roughben_der is a jewel in the rough

+1 on the Video

Wonder how your Pads will be working with the ABS.

I feel like my Pads (CL RC8) bite too much making it difficult to hit that initial brake pressure just right to not get into the ABS engagement range.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-21-17, 12:42 PM   #836
Guardian-X-
Advanced Contributor Level 5

Fav Mod: Ecutek racerom tune
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Guardian-X- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueScooby View Post
I just don't understand how you're supposed to be able to remove them though? You can't get the center grille off from the front, but you can't get to those pins from the back either... :shrug:
Yep there should be push pins in there as standard. Removal is indeed a bitch and i just pulled the center grill out or the small grills next to it. Once te top push pins of the grills are out you can in fact pull em out by hand. Though it's easy to scratch/break stuff if you manhandle it. Most people probably leave em out for that reason hence most people also have saggy bumpers (pun intended).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueScooby View Post
And now, finally, pics of the new wheels on the car!

Swapped them on today to scrub them a little before hyperfest next weekend. Gives me a chance to confirm fitment and such this week too.

Image Link

Image Link

Image Link

Image Link

Its too bad it wasn't sunny so you could see how brilliant the gold on these wheels are. But they still look good
Love the overall look of the car! Ride height,wheels,mod's all done with taste. Diggin it.

How was the outback btw?

Last edited by Guardian-X-; 05-21-17 at 12:50 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-22-17, 10:41 AM   #837
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Thanks!

The Outback was pretty good! Much more roomy than I thought and rode/drove well. Right now it's probably my top choice for getting the wife a new daily

Will loading details and videos from Saturday shortly

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-23-17, 05:07 AM   #838
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - HyperFest (Pics&Vids)

So this past Saturday I went to VIR for HyperFest, which is a 3 day event with all kinds of cool stuff going on. I was only there for Saturday morning for their HyperDrive sessions, which are like individual 20min HPDE sessions on the Patriot Course. There is also a regular full HPDE taking place on the full track as well (which I did not realize beforehand).

So I purchased two sessions to take the car out and start getting a feel for the new setup on track and get a few minutes of seat time on the patriot course. The patriot course is roughly a 1 mile circuit and is fairly technical. There is also a lot of elevation change which is a bonus but makes the idea of an off a little scary… For each session I had my phone recording using the “TrackAddict” app, as well as a GoPro on my helmet. The phone holder I used is apparently not very stable at all, so the video is crap but the information on the video is kind of nice (no OBD to connect to since I was using the Cobb AP).

First Session:
This is my first time on the patriot course so there is a lot of learning to do. Trying to listen to the instructor for braking/turn-in points/track markers as well as get a feel for the new tires and brakes was quite a task. Oh and there was traffic too… Never the less, everything seemed to go fairly well and the car drove great! The instructor was even impressed with the handling/grip of the car! There was one 3-series that went off twice (hit a barrier the second time) but that was apparently a function of not listening to his instructor :rollseyes:

Near the end of the first session I felt a little momentary hesitation on the “front straight”(?) under hard acceleration and decided to top off the fuel tank in case it was a fuel-starve issue coming out of the corners.

Coolant temp was good, Oil temp never got over 215°F(maybe 220°F; measured at rear gallery port), Oil pressure was consistently around 80PSI, and no knocking indicated on the Cobb AP. Should’ve logged the run though… That would’ve been helpful.

My fastest lap ended up being around 1:03 but I’m confident that I could probably shave a couple seconds off that simply with a little more practice and familiarity with the track and the new tires/brakes.

Heres the TrackAddict cellphone video:
http://www.youtube.com/v/_b4Ddf6A42s
https://youtu.be/_b4Ddf6A42s

Heres the helmet GoPro video:
http://www.youtube.com/v/ifCq4FnUVns
https://youtu.be/ifCq4FnUVns

Heres a screen shot of my lap times (all over the place with traffic and stuff):

Heres a gas/brake speed map based on GPS from the TrackAddict app of my fastest lap. You can see pretty clearly there are a few areas to improve based on this weak level of data recording…haha

Last edited by BlueScooby; 05-23-17 at 10:46 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 05-23-17, 05:08 AM   #839
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Second Session:
Second session got started a little more abruptly than I was expecting (the line getting on track was MUCH faster) so I forgot to turn off the A/C (which I was using in the pits to cool off). I’m hoping this became the source of my problems. This session got started ok initially, but pretty quickly I was feeling a lot of hesitation under acceleration and my coolant temps started to rise almost up to the 3/4 mark. If you listen to our dialogue, you can hear me nervously trying to diagnose what is going wrong and checking all my gauges. As you can expect I did not get a whole lot of good “fast laps” going with all this. I checked the Cobb AP several times and saw zero knock indicated and the DAM was constantly at 1.0. This was both reassuring and puzzling. Oil temp/pressures were good, but coolant temps were rising pretty easily back up to 3/4 after each time I backed off.

It was not until I was pulling into the pits that I was going slowly and noticed that the A/C was still on (IDIOT!). I’m hoping the hesitation I was feeling was more related to the compressor trying to kick on and off while driving but I’m not sure. I’m hoping the coolant temps rising was due to the compressor running (adding heat to engine block, and rejecting heat from the condenser right onto the radiator). Before Saturday if you had asked me if that was possible, I would immediately say that it probably isn’t, but now I’m not sure. But honestly that’s the only thing I can think of that makes any sense currently. The car is otherwise running great, and pulls hard with no hesitation on the road (with the A/C off…).

I am putting down more power than the last track day I attended, but I also added an Oil cooler, so I would think the radiator is still big enough to handle the track day heat since I’m removing some via the oil cooler, but its hard to say now… I could swap my hood vents out for the Singular Motorsports ones, which are proven and will probably help more than my homedepot style vents… LOL Otherwise I would probably need to upsize the radiator again? Hopefully it was just the A/C causing all my problems.

Heres the TrackAddict cellphone video:
http://www.youtube.com/v/X1MGB_hW0zY

Heres the helmet GoPro video:
http://www.youtube.com/v/Bf68yVCVqt8

Heres a screen shot of my lap times:

Heres a gas/brake speed map based on GPS from the TrackAddict app of my fastest lap:

Tire/Brakes review:
So I’ve mentioned this was my first event on the new tires/brakes. I ran 255/40/17 RE-71Rs on my WedsSports, DBA 4000 slotted rotors, and Carbotech XP10(front)/XP8(rear) pads. I already had been using SS lines and RBF600. I also have had rooducts installed and dust shields removed for a while as well.

The tires were amazingly grippy. I read that they could get greasy on track days, but I had no such issues (probably didn’t run fast enough or long enough). The brakes got up to temp and had way more bite and ability to handle heat than I am used to as well. The main thing I learned this weekend was that I need to brake MUCH harder and sharper than I had been. I had so much more brake on the car that it took me several laps to finally get the ABS to start kicking on under hard braking. Might as well have been dropping anchor behind the car!

Now I need to clean my seeming black wheels to find my formerly bright gold wheels… haha

All in the all, Saturday was a bit of a mixed bag but still went pretty well. I had no catastrophic failures and I easily drove the car home so I can’t complain too much

Last edited by BlueScooby; 05-23-17 at 07:35 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 05-23-17, 07:29 AM   #840
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is just really niceGot2Boostit2 is just really niceGot2Boostit2 is just really niceGot2Boostit2 is just really niceGot2Boostit2 is just really nice

I'll fix your video links later or go into edit mode and look at the first video link. Remove the HTTP/ info like I did and the video will appear in post.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => http://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 1 Dislikes 0