GD: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Diffuser/Underbody RE-DO - Page 91 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
BlueScooby's 06 STI - Diffuser/Underbody RE-DO
BlueScooby's 06 STI - Diffuser/Underbody RE-DO
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Diffuser/Underbody RE-DO

Old 07-21-17, 09:53 AM   #901
BlueScooby
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: Recaro Pole Position and Shifter Bushings!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a jewel in the roughBlueScooby is a jewel in the roughBlueScooby is a jewel in the roughBlueScooby is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Diffuser/Underbody RE-DO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
How else are you wanting to mount yours?l
I was considering possibly shifting it upwards so that the top of the cooler is even with the top of the bumper beam, rather than the bottom. Just to get some extra ground clearance since its so far forward. I'm kind of wishing it had brackets to mount to the radiator support, but I would also need to relocate the inlet/outlets off the back side to the bottom.

Bluescooby's 06 STI Journal
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-17, 09:57 AM   #902
xirallicGDB-F
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: satin white pearl 07
Fav Mod: 2012 blue Sparco evo 2
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

xirallicGDB-F is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueScooby View Post
Been slowly working on parts of the revised underbody setup. Still a long way to go, but I'm almost ready for the new one-piece section (hopefully) to go under the main cabin. Also added some skirting that I think will be pretty sweet. No pics yet since I'm not done, but just wanted to let you know I'm still working

also received something in the mail today that I've wanted to put on for a long time...
I'm looking forward to the updates! Especially the diffuser! I've been working on my rear bumper project that I've wanted to do for a long time. I chopped it and opened up the wheel well. I'll post pictures in my journal once I get the carbon brackets made.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-21-17, 10:07 AM   #903
brapp

Car: 2005 STi
Fav Mod: going from GR -> GD
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

brapp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueScooby
Thats more-or-less my understanding as well. I would even narrow down the "sweet spot" to right around 220°F (IMO).

I picked the "high temp" (200°F instead of the regular 180°F) thermostatic sandwich plate since I daily this car but the oil cooler is supposedly sized to maintain a max of 220°F on the track. Even though I've only done two "events" (neither are up to what a full track day would see) since the oil cooler install, I haven't seen any oil temps above about 205°F so far.
If the sweet spot is about 220 though, wouldn't you want to target 220 as normal vs 220 as max? Or are you thinking more that 220 is the limit you want to hit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
I am aiming to keep my oil temp around 230-240F. My last setup held 240-250F on hot days, which I was fine with considering I use good oil, but I was ultimately limited by the airflow that it was getting. Since I added a turbo, I couldn't just redo the mounting for flow... I needed bigger! Not to mention I moved up several thousand feet in altitude, which makes it even harder to cool
Any thoughts on what you'd consider to be too hot? As in... now it's time to back off (on track) and take a cooldown lap.

Just started getting into track stuff last fall... in my 2nd session of HPDE 1 I started having to back off as my water temps were starting to rise more than I was comfortable with (only on stock gauges). Went home after that day, ordered oil temp gauge and way to mount the AP to monitor water temp more accurately.

I had no idea oil temp fluctuated as much as it does though. Haven't had a chance to get back on full track (I can usually just make fall events for those because of work) but in autox and time attack events I haven't gotten above 220... though those are not really all that hard on the car.
Max oil temp I've seen was about 230 pushing it a bit in the mountains up by Silverton (9000+ ft elevation).
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM   #904
xirallicGDB-F

Car: satin white pearl 07
Fav Mod: 2012 blue Sparco evo 2
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

xirallicGDB-F is on a distinguished road