GD: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Diffuser/Underbody RE-DO - Page 90 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
BlueScooby's 06 STI - Diffuser/Underbody RE-DO
BlueScooby's 06 STI - Diffuser/Underbody RE-DO
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Diffuser/Underbody RE-DO

Old 07-14-17, 09:24 AM   #891
Krang
Becoming An Advanced Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 07 STi / EFR 6758
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Krang is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Diffuser/Underbody RE-DO

This looks like an awesome functional and asthetically pleasing (to me) mod. Love it!
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-17, 09:59 AM   #892
xirallicGDB-F
Advanced Contributor Level 4

Car: satin white pearl 07
Fav Mod: 2012 blue Sparco evo 2
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

xirallicGDB-F is on a distinguished road

You inspired me to go see how high I can get my exhaust tucked up. To my surprise I was able to rotate both the midpipe and muffler quite high! I just had to notch the bumper beam a little. The midpipe is almost as high as my diff! Gotta love a slip fit design!

Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 07-17-17, 04:39 AM   #893
BlueScooby
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: Recaro Pole Position and Shifter Bushings!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a jewel in the roughBlueScooby is a jewel in the roughBlueScooby is a jewel in the roughBlueScooby is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krang View Post
This looks like an awesome functional and asthetically pleasing (to me) mod. Love it!
Thanks! That's the dream isn't it

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirallicGDB-F View Post
You inspired me to go see how high I can get my exhaust tucked up. To my surprise I was able to rotate both the midpipe and muffler quite high! I just had to notch the bumper beam a little. The midpipe is almost as high as my diff! Gotta love a slip fit design!

Image Link
Lookin good! Glad I could be of some inspiration I would recommend you put a small heat shield under the diff/rear subframe as I did since you lifted the exhaut up. Check this guy out as an option to traditional heatwrap that won't rust away your piping

Bluescooby's 06 STI Journal
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-17, 08:39 AM   #894
xirallicGDB-F

Car: satin white pearl 07
Fav Mod: 2012 blue Sparco evo 2
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

xirallicGDB-F is on a distinguished road

Good idea on the heat shielding, I'll look into that! I'm really looking forward to the new diffuser design and fabrication. I'll be following closely .
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-18-17, 07:32 PM   #895
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud of

How's the oil cooler working for you and are your coolant temps back in check? I just got my oil cooler in today and it's pretty large.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-19-17, 03:25 AM   #896
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a jewel in the roughBlueScooby is a jewel in the roughBlueScooby is a jewel in the roughBlueScooby is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
How's the oil cooler working for you and are your coolant temps back in check? I just got my oil cooler in today and it's pretty large.
oil cooler is doing great! I havent seen the oil get above 200 at all this summer and usually I would hit 220F on the way home from work pretty quickly in the hot months...

I did do one auto-x since Hyperfest and I havent seen those temps moving at all either. I truly think the issue I was having was simply because I forgot to turn off the A/C on that second run

I saw your cooler, it looks like a beast I'm having second thoughts about how I mounted mine, and am wondering if I could mount it differently...

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-19-17, 09:56 AM   #897
brapp

Car: 2005 STi
Fav Mod: going from GR -> GD
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

brapp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueScooby View Post
oil cooler is doing great! I havent seen the oil get above 200 at all this summer and usually I would hit 220F on the way home from work pretty quickly in the hot months...

I did do one auto-x since Hyperfest and I havent seen those temps moving at all either. I truly think the issue I was having was simply because I forgot to turn off the A/C on that second run

I saw your cooler, it looks like a beast I'm having second thoughts about how I mounted mine, and am wondering if I could mount it differently...
What are you trying to target for oil temps? Or trying to keep them below?

I've been trying to get a sense on what is too hot... I've been putting together a bunch of thoughts from different threads but no one seems to want to give a pretty firm answer. Even asked Blackstone at one point.

From what I've sorta seen... seems like 200-230 is kinda the sweet spot, with 260 being a fairly definitive "too hot" point.

I usually seem to run about 180 in non-summer months and about 220 during the summer. All of which seems fine, I'm more worried about monitoring during track days.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-19-17, 10:07 AM   #898
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by brapp View Post

I've been trying to get a sense on what is too hot... I've been putting together a bunch of thoughts from different threads but no one seems to want to give a pretty firm answer. Even asked Blackstone at one point.

From what I've sorta seen... seems like 200-230 is kinda the sweet spot, with 260 being a fairly definitive "too hot" point.

I usually seem to run about 180 in non-summer months and about 220 during the summer. All of which seems fine, I'm more worried about monitoring during track days.
Thats more-or-less my understanding as well. I would even narrow down the "sweet spot" to right around 220°F (IMO).

I picked the "high temp" (200°F instead of the regular 180°F) thermostatic sandwich plate since I daily this car but the oil cooler is supposedly sized to maintain a max of 220°F on the track. Even though I've only done two "events" (neither are up to what a full track day would see) since the oil cooler install, I haven't seen any oil temps above about 205°F so far.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old Today, 03:49 AM   #899
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Been slowly working on parts of the revised underbody setup. Still a long way to go, but I'm almost ready for the new one-piece section (hopefully) to go under the main cabin. Also added some skirting that I think will be pretty sweet. No pics yet since I'm not done, but just wanted to let you know I'm still working

also received something in the mail today that I've wanted to put on for a long time...

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old Today, 05:32 AM   #900
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud of

Quote:

Good to hear it's been working out for you. So many people undersize oil coolers these days... I wonder why they do them.

How else are you wanting to mount yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brapp View Post

Quote:
Thats more-or-less my understanding as well. I would even narrow down the "sweet spot" to right around 220°F (IMO).

I picked the "high temp" (200°F instead of the regular 180°F) thermostatic sandwich plate since I daily this car but the oil cooler is supposedly sized to maintain a max of 220°F on the track. Even though I've only done two "events" (neither are up to what a full track day would see) since the oil cooler install, I haven't seen any oil temps above about 205°F so far.
I am aiming to keep my oil temp around 230-240F. My last setup held 240-250F on hot days, which I was fine with considering I use good oil, but I was ultimately limited by the airflow that it was getting. Since I added a turbo, I couldn't just redo the mounting for flow... I needed bigger! Not to mention I moved up several thousand feet in altitude, which makes it even harder to cool

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement