GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **It ran again, this time much better!!** - Page 82 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **It ran again, this time much better!!**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **It ran again, this time much better!!**
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 04-18-17, 12:51 AM   #811
ben_der
Master Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Spec C Steering Rack
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ben_der is a jewel in the roughben_der is a jewel in the roughben_der is a jewel in the roughben_der is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **It ran again, this time much better!!**

Glad you finally got to put some miles on it after such a long time, Gavin!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-18-17, 07:10 AM   #812
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud of

Logs look good for break-in and the limited data we're taking right now. Drive it... And drive it more. I may have to reduce the knock sensor sensitivity a little more, but we'll see how much noise that motor makes.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-18-17, 12:46 PM   #813
blurred
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: RCE T2 600/500
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

blurred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOBeefdip View Post
I was concerned about oil pressure from the previous oil on Saturday, because I was super low at idle, but changing to the current oil I was at 10-18 idle depending on incline today; a little better.
Looks like you are using a oil pressure sender extension? If so I wouldn't worry about idle oil pressure. If you kick the throttle to, and hold it at about 1000-1500rpm it should go right up past 25-35psi right? I had a similar problem with my old gauge, it was just having it go through that line reduced the pressure that the sender could read... sometimes it would be 0-5psi at idle but I know it is false because the OEM pressure switch wouldn't trigger the light. I switched to greddy gauges and the tiny sender is now tee'd with the factory switch and idle pressure now reads correct at 25-30psi range.

Old 04-18-17, 01:22 PM   #814
killerbmotorsport
Authorized Vendor
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Car: Blue 05 WRX STi
Fav Mod: It's all good
My Subaru Parts for sale

killerbmotorsport is a jewel in the roughkillerbmotorsport is a jewel in the roughkillerbmotorsport is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
The magnetic drain plug can only catch so much.
Throw that drain plug in the garbage and put a Fumoto Valve in there. We did a magnetic drain plug test on two cars (A well known magnetic drain company wanted us to sell their product, but I told them we needed to test first), and repeated the test because I didn't believe the results the first time around, on both cars!. Blackstone Labs has a paper written about their own testing results, which our results mimicked. Snake oil! Don't assume 'it can't be any worse running one', yes it can.

Quote:
I was concerned about oil pressure from the previous oil on Saturday, because I was super low at idle, but changing to the current oil I was at 10-18 idle depending on incline today; a little better.
What is your current oil and what port is the sender located? If you're concerned, a $15 mechanical gauge will tell you for sure if your gauge is correct or not. Oil pressure is not something to screw with, and $15 is cheap insurance to know what's going on. Plus it's a tool for the toolbox that can be used in the future.

OEM Oil Pickup Failures vs. The Ultimate Oil Pickup

V2 High Performance Aluminum OIL PAN

Brushed Delrin Shift knobs - Grab Our Knobs - It's Good Shift! CLICK HERE!
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 04-18-17, 01:24 PM   #815
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud of

What did you find in the test?

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-19-17, 03:22 AM   #816
killerbmotorsport
Authorized Vendor

My Subaru Parts for sale

killerbmotorsport is a jewel in the roughkillerbmotorsport is a jewel in the roughkillerbmotorsport is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
What did you find in the test?
This goes back to ~2013-ish. Metals were marginally higher with the magnet. Personally, I feel this might have something to do with the magnet magnetizing ferrous debris. As the magnet collects and looses particles (it can only hold so much), the magnetic debris could become stuck, causing wear, to other ferrous metals because of the added magnetism. Whereas without being magnetized, is would just wash through.

The magnets we tested are super strong, on a plug that is considered to be "the best" magnetic plug out there. That being said, an oil pan is a dynamic environment. Fluid is pumping through at a rapid rate, with temperature variations, and directions changes. The marketing that eludes to debris accumulating and never coming off, is IMO hopeful.

Another thing is I would never say 'a magnetic drain plug will kill your engine'. The results were marginally worse, although repeatable. I wouldn't say it's enough to be worried about, but IMO there is more value in watching a cat get dizzy trying to watch that money as it disappears in the toilet.

Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 04-22-17, 07:26 PM   #817
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

How many miles do you have on the car now?

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM   #818
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: SSR Type C RS
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip has a spectacular aura aboutBaronOBeefdip has a spectacular aura about

Yes blurred, I'm using an oil pressure sender extension, so yeah maybe that has something to do with it. When I put the RPMs at 1000-1500, with the current oil, I'm at 28-38psi. I also have the OEM pressure switch connected as well, hasn't lit up at all.

killerb, thanks for the info. I'll be changing the oil again soon, at 500 or so. I bought the drain plug a few years ago and it was like $25 or so. Not a crazy amount of money. I have the sender connected to the rear oil galley on the passenger side of the block, pretty common spot. The only thing is, and like blurred said, it could be the length of the pressure hose that may have something to do with it.

Jason, there's 200 miles on it now I'll probably be putting some more on it tonight. I have more logs for you if you want.

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; Yesterday at 10:58 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM   #819
killerbmotorsport
Authorized Vendor

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
I have the sender connected to the rear oil galley on the passenger side of the block, pretty common spot.
This is actually a much less common location, for the exact reasons you're observing. It will show lower oil pressure. If you're OK with that, leave it. If you want to compare apples to apples, with what everyone else is seeing, then move it to the front port like 90% of installs out there

Likes 0 Dislikes 0