IW STi Forum banner

STI2NR MY05 Slowly but surely build: UNIQUE MODS INSIDE!

66K views 152 replies 39 participants last post by  2.5 turbo hyped 
#1 ·
Well I have been lurking here soaking up knowledge over the past two years and decided it was time to man up and document some of the installs I have done to her.

A little bit on my background for any and all who might have a slight inclination to care :D

I have owned a few cars in my life: 1979 datsun king cab pickup, 1998 honda civic, 1992 awd plymouth laser, 1992 twin turbo awd aws dodge stealth, 1997 nissan king cab 2wd pickup, 2005 wrx sti.

I have a plethora of knowledge on the mitsubishi 4g63 motor as I built a 2.4 liter g4cs/4g63 stroker motor on the plymouth laser, pulled an 11.8 second 1/4 mile and got kicked off the track because I had no roll cage or helmet. That was the only 1/4 mile that car saw before it became cop magnet and I sold it.

The civic I had was wicked, supercharged, loud, and a cop magnet as well. It was my first tuner car and I sold it.

The twin turbo stealth was by far a nice vehicle but I got sick of fixing it all the time. They surely were not built for longevity.

So here I am with a car I had to wait 4 years to get my hands on at the right price.

Lets get some pictures up and get this show on the road!!

March 24th 2007, I brought her home. I bought her from a local dealership that only deals with sti's, evo's and 350z's. Silverline automotive, they are on ebay and craigslist and Leo is a stand up guy. She had 18,168 miles on her when I brought her home. I met Leo at the burger king parking lot in delta park right after he picked her up from the detail shop. I drove it one block and Leo had to "phone a friend" to get a ride home after I handed him $4000 cash and a check from capital one for $15000. Hell of a deal on an STI with low mileage. She is a theft and vandalism recovery so she has a "reconstructed" title in Oregon.

See less See more
#2 ·
Stereo install

I have got to have my trance music, PERIOD. One of the first things I did was a stereo install.

Eclipse basic mp3/cd head unit.

Rockford fosgate 900 watt amp.

Kicker comp vr kevlar carbon 12" dual voice coil sub

1 box that took alot of trial and error to get right.

This is the first box I built.

It was ridiculous and took up way too much trunk space so I came up with this space saving idea.

Well the box did not have enough airspace, did not hit hard at all, and just really pissed me off. I took it out, used it for firewood and built this final version that is spot on. It hits hard, still saves trunk space, acts as a strut/cross brace and is very pleasing to the eyes.

#3 ·
Braille battery

You don't have to be blind to know what this mod is all about.

For such a small battery I am amazed everyday how well it performs.

#5 ·
Aerocatch hood locks

This was a mod that took a lot of patience, time and thought.

The one thing I love about these is that it is unique and you do not see it done on other STI's.

#6 ·
K and N typhoon wrinkle red intake

Tuners apparently hate this intake because of the inconsistencies it causes.

This will soon be taken out and replaced the the Perrin wrinkle red CAI.

The k and n is louder than stock and gives a slight bit more power without a tune.

#7 ·
19" wheels

I have no clue why I went this route. I was mod hungry and did not do enough research.

These were not on the car long. I had to use spacers and they did rub a bit.

#8 ·
Fog lights

This is an idea I came up with on a whim.

They are actually walmart $40 fog lights.

I had some sheet aluminum, rivets and a small amount of carbon fiber left over and came up with this project.

#10 ·
Ksport coilovers

Ksport coilovers, it's a relationship of love and hate.

Back when I had my dodge stealth I worked with Ksport to get a set blueprinted for the twin turbo models since they only made them for the front wheel drive versions.

We talked on the phone quite a bit, they sent me prototype parts and we finally got a kit assembled that worked with the stealth and the vr-4 3000gt's. The customer service was phenomonal.

I think that lately they must be short handed or something. That is all I will say about that.

Plan on replacing the strut cartridges every year ($400) because of the aggressive damping. They do work great though.

#11 ·
Rota p45f wheels

These are much better than the 19's I had on. They are light, strong and a unique awesome color. Subydude hooked me up on these.

#12 ·
Drilled and slotted brakes

This mod was easy, just time consuming.

I used hawk pads and stainelss braided lines as well.

I like to cross my t's and dot my i's before I start to add power.

#13 ·
Yakima sst towers and racks

This is another unique mod that you just don't see out there on sti's that often.

I had to mod the y-clips but they fit perfect.

I regularly carry a bicycle and my recumbent trike on them with no issues whatsoever.

#14 ·
Fuel pump install

I just installed this yesterday. I got it for 78 bucks shipped from high flow fuel.

It fits better than a walbro and is good for 600whp.

I did notice an increase in my top end pull since I installed it.

I also took a couple of shots of the engine bay.

#15 ·
Future mods

Here is a list of what is coming up for mods:

Cusco (or replica) 6 point cage with carbon cross bar

Every ported, coated, and polished piece grimmspeed makes including tgv delete

Blouch dom 3.0r

Catted downpipe

Cobb accessport

1 step colder ngk iridiums

f1 clutch with 6 puck sprung disc

Primitive full underbody 3/16 armor

Here is a few pictures of the Hks replica I forgot to post

I am sure there are more mods I can't think of right now.

The mods will be done on a cash availability basis. I have done the "go in debt to make your car better" program before and am not going to do it on this one.

#16 ·
Questions?

You can email me directly at hyped1@comcast.net or sti2nr@gmail.com

I hosted the pictures on putphoto.com so hopefully that did not hamper the iwsti servers.

Thanks for documentation space!

Back to lurking :D

Sean

#17 ·
I just discovered the benefits of microsoft live 14% off on ebay using live search. I have no idea why I was not using this in the first place since I shop ebay so much.

I just bought:

Perrin wrinkle red CAI

Cobb accessport v2

Downpipe to butcher and weld in a 3 inch stainless steel catalytic converter

Ngk iridiums, one step colder.

That's enough spending for now.

Devils own meth injection kit is next on the list.

Stay 2ND! :D

#20 ·
Trance has kept me motivated since I was 17 (33 now). I ran the Portland marathon last year in just over 4 hours and the trance music powered me through it. I ran in the clydesdale category, I am 5'9" and weighed 208 lbs. I placed pretty well for my weight category. I do not have a runners body. Every morning when I workout I listen to it as well.

Oh and dancing, don't even go there. Red Cap Garage has been the best place as of lately for diverse people and awesome progressive trance sets on Saturday nights.

12" sub, Fosgate amp and plenty of vocals and highs from the tweeters = ABSOLUTE MOTIVATION!

Surfing ebay for some cheap headers and am going to get them coated at finishline coatings in Milwaukie along with a downpipe. I will post pictures when I get them back.

:D

#22 ·
Sweet ride bro, keep it up! I've never heard of any issues with K&N Intakes ... but, to each their own. And you should have gone with opensource and internet tuning over the Cobb AP, but I'm sure you gotta plan :)
I know the owner of Perrin and live right down the street from them. :D

Always got a plan ;)

#24 ·
Perhaps the temperature dropped 50 degrees or my old pump was on it's way out. Who knows. I did however have more top end pull for some magical reason. Maybe it was the ecu reset since the battery was disconnected?

Who knows.

#25 ·
Ordered a set of Synic equal length headers and a bbp up pipe.

I am going to get all of the pieces: header, up pipe and downpipe coated at Finishline coatings with there turbo-x coating good for constant temps of 1600-2000 degrees Fahrenheit.

I am going to post pictures as this will be the first time I have ever used coatings on any exhaust pieces.

BTW race tuner software = :tup:

STAY 2ND!! :D

#26 ·
Coolant change, Accessport install, 3" high flow cat, working on race tuner.

First off, the new fast and furious movie is pretty good. The original cast is back and the chase scenes, especially the first one, rock. A definite Blu-ray purchase. Thanks to perrin for the build on the sti. No thanks to Paul Walker for trashing it!!

I took a few pictures today. I am going to do a coolant change since I have 32k on the odometer. I am also changing out my spark plugs to one step colder ngk iridiums.

The Perrin cold air intake I ordered is out of stock across the USA in wrinkle red. I requested a refund from CSSPerformance and put a dispute on paypal to insure I receive it back. I think I will stick with the k and n for now. I am slowly but surely learning how to use race tuner and I think I can tune for this intake just fine.

This is a lot different from the hexadecimal system of tuning I was used to for the dsm platforms. I wrote a map for a 2.4 liter stroker g4cs/4g63 motor I built and it ran awesome. Relearning a new tuning sytem will just take a bit of time.

I will be welding in 2 o2 bungs and the 3" high flow cat into the downpipe I should receive this week. I will post pictures of the process. I will then be taking the downpipe, uppipe and headers in to be coated.

I took a picture of an egt probe and was wondering if anyone can confirm if it is from an autometer setup. I have so many old parts laying around I forgot where they all came from.

Do you like the accessport setup?? I am still trying to figure out if you can "live monitor" more than 1 item on the accessport screen. Has anyone had success with this??

I am thinking I will use the refund from the perrin intake to purchase a Devils own meth injection kit.

Does anyone know if k and n makes a Cold air red wrinkle extension kit that would get the filter in the fenderwell so I can remove this ridiculous heat shield box??

Slowly but surely I will learn.

#27 · (Edited)
there's just a fake perrin fmic on that sti in the movie. it just had rims and that weird veilside one off/horrible paint job.and paul walker didn;t crash it, the studio did :lol: alot of them actually...also noted as the most reliable car during filming...the movie was pretty good tho. not toooo much rice,and the rice in it was just funny. ....same here btw, been listening to trance since i was about 12, i just turned 30 ;) ...btw the typhoon is a good intake. idk who told you it was inconsistent, mike at gst and dan harman said it was easy to tune this short ram compared with others they work with. if anything get a aps or custom cai. those are the best. if u can weld ,u could probably make the k&n into a CAI....(btw, NO ONE likes the bold font thing ;) )

#28 ·
I read about the cars in the modified mag I believe?? Correct me if I am wrong.

Perrin told me they do not like the k and n intake. My datalogs on it show that it is consistent. I guess if you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

I just ordered 2 nrg catch cans that I am going to "red wrinkle" high temp coat like I did to my alternator shield. I will post pics of the install.

It is still only 34 degrees out here and it is supposed to get to 60 today. I guess I will doing the spark plugs and coolant after lunch.

Sorry on the font thing. I am not a guru on these message boards at all and was trying it out.

#29 ·
Well, well, well, lookee here!

So before you ask I am an ebay addict especially with the use of the live search option which gets you anywhere from 10-35% cash back. That's a huge plus in my book!

I did some research and found this obx downpipe which stands for "OBNOXIOUS" as in "OBNOXIOUS AMOUNT OF PIPE".

It is a 4 inch downpipe with so many extra pieces you could make an entire exhaust out of it if you really wanted. I have no clue which parts bolt to which. This is a good thing though because I need to weld in a high flow cat and a couple of o2 bungs.

I welded in the first o2 bung today on the downpipe that will be used for a wide band 02 setup. I took the downpipe over to finishline coatings to have the turbo-x coating put on it.

www.finishlinecoatings.com

Lona sent me several informative emails on their coating process. Most places do one coating inside and one on the outside. Finishline does 1 on the inside and 2 on the ouside for longevity. She showed me a couple of pieces that had just been finished and it is a black semi glossy finish. Looks semi thick and real sharp. They are going to try and have it ready for me on Friday as I will be bringing them more parts (Synic headers and a bbp up pipe). This will be good cause I can bump it up to a stage 2 cobb ots map.

I will spend the majority of Friday trying to figure out the puzzle that obx created with this downpipe. There is probably enough extra pieces to reach all the way to the axle back section. I will be cutting it to suit my needs though.

STAY 2ND!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.