GD: Tim's EFR 7670 SM 06 STi: The Yeti IS ALIVE! - Page 195 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Tim's EFR 7670 SM 06 STi: The Yeti IS ALIVE!
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Tim's EFR 7670 SM 06 STi: The Yeti IS ALIVE!
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 04-16-17, 01:23 PM   #1941
armyssoldierboy
Advanced Mastery Level IV
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: seat time
My Subaru Parts for sale

armyssoldierboy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tim's EFR 7670 SM 06 STi: The Yeti IS ALIVE!

I got the head gaskets flipped and fired her back up in about 13 man hours. The header wrap soaked up so much oil it smoked me out of the garage. I let it idle for roughly 12 minutes at 2500-3k rpm then shut it off. Not 1 drop hit the ground and I could watch the smoke roll off of the headers. I washed the car twice and poured the soapy water all over the engine to rid it of oil. It did a little bit. I've driven it 8 miles; throughout my neighborhood, to the corner store and back home. Alot of the smoke is gone. I've crawled under it and saw what looked like a thin, clear oil spot on the back corner of the driver side head. I washed the back of the engine and heads to see if it was just run off from the top since I could see a thin trail going up the back of the head. I drove to to the store and home after and checked under the car today and there's a puddle under there now... I rubbed my hand on the back side of the head and didn't feel anything more than a light film so idk. Maybe a coolant leak? My coolant was low this morning so I'll go get a leak tester and check. It's driving me nuts because the water on top of the engine is boiling when I gother back home. I can hear all of the coolant boiling. I topped off the coolant this morning so we'll see.

The car isn't inspected nor registered so tomorrow I'll drive it dirty to get inspected then to get it registered.

Last edited by armyssoldierboy; 05-17-17 at 08:18 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-17-17, 11:23 AM   #1942
armyssoldierboy
Advanced Mastery Level IV
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: seat time
My Subaru Parts for sale

armyssoldierboy is on a distinguished road

I ended up pressure testing the coolant system and my radiator was seeping. I got another one locally and went for a test drive. I found the source of the oil leak. It was a minor gap in the sealant for the valve cover.

Here's where the bad news comes in. When I got back from the test drive, I saw smoke from the exhaust. I let it cool down and opened the coolant reservoir and it was bubbling after I started it up and the oil level was high and runny. So, once again, I pulled the engine and took the heads off. I went ahead and replaced the head gaskets again but when I pulled the second head... I saw a gouge in the mating surface where the fire ring is. I had to take it to a local machine shop to fill it and resurface the head.

Got the heads back on and just haven't had ANY motivation to get it back together since I've been waiting to get my title from the CA DMV for 2 weeks now. I don't need to get it inspected but I need the title to get it registered which will come with a 1 year inspection. I did however repaint my engine bay. It's not a perfect match but it sure looks better than it did all scraped up and bare metal since fuel hit the paint and ate it away.

I'm now on assignment to Ft. Riley, KS which is an hour from 2 different regions for autoX and one of those hosting events at Heartland Park which I would absolutely love to join NASA in some HPDE.

Full Race, EFR/Borgwarner, IAG, AEM, Manley, Kelford, Clutch Masters, Perrin, GrimmSpeed, KSTech, Kartboy, AST, Tial, Defi, DBA, Project Mu and more

Last edited by armyssoldierboy; 05-17-17 at 11:28 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 05-21-17, 09:13 AM   #1943
Guardian-X-
Advanced Contributor Level 5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Ecutek racerom tune
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Guardian-X- is on a distinguished road

Nicely done! Looks a whole lot better now. Shaved the battery tray too?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0