05 Center console in a 04 updated: COMPLETED WITH PICS & WRITE UP - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Go Back   STI Forums > GD Series STi Discussion (2003/4-2007) > GD-General > GD-Interior > 05 Center console in a 04 updated: COMPLETED WITH PICS & WRITE UP
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 01-26-06, 04:14 PM   #1
Advanced Contributor Level 5
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

Car: 00 2.5RS
Fav Mod: The next one
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

cleatis is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking 05 Center console in a 04 updated: COMPLETED WITH PICS & WRITE UP

UPDATED WITH MORE PICS ON POST #11 and 14

Ok, like many other 04 STi owners I hated my center console and dash. The problem was fueled more every day when I tried to use the “cup holders”. My hatred for the center console and climate control was compounded when the 05’s came out…. Ever since I have always wanted to convert my console over to the new style.

Well I knew that I would not be able to buy all the parts new, the cost was going to be outrageous. I kept an eye out for a wrecked 05… Well I finally found all the parts that I needed, for the conversion on eBay. I won the auction and got all the needed parts to do the conversion. All the parts came out of a totaled 05 STi.

Once I got all the parts I was excited to see that I got the 05 E-brake assembly and some miscellaneous brackets to do the swap. I even got the DCCD switches, climate control and an armrest extension. See the attached picture of all the parts that were sent. They were all in great shape with no major blemishes.

The install was pretty straight forward. I first removed the complete 04 console, radio, center vent all the way back to the e-brake. I then removed the e brake.

The fist step was so see it the 05 brake would bolt in. And it does. It will bolt in with two of the existing bolt holes (note the 04 is only bolted in with 2 bolts). Now to get the e brake in you will have to move all the DCCD sensors. So I unplugged them and took them out for now. I bolted in the e brake and I found that the cable was too long, and I was unable to tighten the e brake enough to hold the car. So I went to Lowe’s and bought a coupler for steel cable in 3/16. I then cut the e-brake cable and shortened it by about ¾ of an inch see pics.

I then had the e brake working properly. I Had to lengthen the e-brake wire, nothing major, I did the swap at home and my soldering iron is at work so I had to use a but connector, but I will solder it in this week.

Now there is a metal dash bracket that is screwed to the 04 console plastic and two 10mm bolts hold it to the metal dash. You will have to take it out and install the 05 bracket. Then I installed the upper portion of the center consol, it screws to the metal bracket that was just put in. It just screws in with a total of 4 screws IIRC, but you will have to take out the glove box and the left under dash trim and metal brace under the steering wheel.

Next to install was my radio. I found that the cheap metal brackets that hold the radio to the dash are different from 04 to 05, so I had to order them from the dealer ($7), so no radio for a week. I guess I will listen to all my rattles instead

The radio trim plate goes in next, and yes the climate control plugs in and every thing works properly. Also the 04’s don’t have the AUTO feature for the vent position but the 05 does, Well it works fine. Plug and play.

I just installed the center console radio trim. It snaps in on the top and two screws hold it in on the bottom.

I then installed the center dash vent. The hazard switch plugs right in and the vent snaps in. No biggie.

I then went to permanently install the e-brake. I used a washer to shim the e brake so it did not lean to the left. I put it around on of the studs that is welded to the body and not used. The brake is bolted down with 2 12mm bolts. There is a provision on the far left side of the brake for a 3rd bolt, but there is nothing on the car to bolt it to. Also it was flat with the bottom of the e-brake and hung over the curved part of the tranny tunnel. So I bent it down to fit flat on the tunnel for more lateral support.

Now for the DCCD sensors. There are three sensors in total. I had to move the two rear ones. I just bolted them to the rear bolt of the front sensor. They cleared everything and all the wiring was good to fit. But there is only one bolt holding them in now but they are secure.

There is a metal bracket that holds the rear portion of the console, is goes behind the e brake. It has one bolt to hold it on in the rear and two in the front. It fits tight with the stock e-brake cable, but with the shorter e-brake cable that I hade, the cable collet, was hitting the front left mounting tab, and I had to cut the tab off for room. I will go back later and fab up a new mount for it so it has all the strength that it can have, although the
console is nice and secure and does not move.

Now screw in the bottom of the center console, two screws on the rear bracket mentioned in the last paragraph, one screw behind the shifter in the floor and two screws up front behind the air bag control unit. The holes are already their in the floor for the screws.

Now install the front sides of the console. They clip in at the rear and two screws on each side up front, but leave the bottom screws out because the glove box and under dash trim have to go on before the bottom screw.

Now I put on the e brake cover. I found that the 05 DCCD adjustment switch was backwards of the 04 switch. When I move it up, it moved the DCCD back. So I had to install the 04 switch. My wiring was already long enough because I relocated the switch a year ago next to the other DCCD switch. I had to trim the ear off for the switch go in the hole but nothing a sharp razor blade could not fix. With the 04 switch the DCCD was working normally. Just plug in the switches and move the wires so they are out of the way and put the cover on. Two screws hold it on in the front and two more in the rear.

Then just snap on the shifter trim plate, the cig lighter plugs in.

I left out the mirror switch because I will be getting 05 door panels some time and rewiring the switch to fit in the panels. For now I left the switch out of the car and tucked the wires in the console.

That’s it.

Here are Cliff’s Notes

Remove complete 04 console, Climate control and e brake
Shorted e brake cable about ¾ inch.
Install 05 ebrake
Trim rear console bracket mounting tab if needed
Relocate DCCD sensors
Lengthen DCCD wires
Reuse 04 DCCD roller switch
Install new metal bracket to dash
Install new console

Here are the only problems I found that made it a little more than a bolt in

E-brake cable to short.
My e-brake leaned to the left, I could not tell if it was bent from the car it came out of being wrecked or if that is how it is. I shimmed it and bent it over to sit normally.
DCCD switch for 05 is different
Need to lengthen DCCD wires
Need new radio brackets
Need metal dash bracket for a 05
Need 05 door panels for mirror switch

I am sure that there is many different ways to get around to shorten the e-brake cable, but that was the best I came up with at the time.

Here are pics of the important parts of the install. As putting the console in after the brackets and e-brake are in is pretty simple. I will post final install pics when I get the radio brackets in from Subaru and the radio in. until then these will have to do.

Nick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0015.JPG
Views:	7415
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	5339   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0057.JPG
Views:	5671
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	5344   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0058.JPG
Views:	5210
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	5345  

Current: 05 CGM STi
Previous......
00 STM 2.5rs
99 2.5rs
07 SWP/ Gold STi
04 WRB/ Gold STi

Last edited by cleatis; 12-15-06 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Updated with new pics and full write up
cleatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-06, 04:21 PM   #2
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: '04 STi / '05 ZX-10R
Fav Mod: HTA86
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

javasti is an unknown quantity at this point

very interested...
Old 01-26-06, 04:35 PM   #3
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Car: 05 Subaru WRX STi
Fav Mod: Carbon Ti
My Subaru Parts for sale

Endless_STi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Endless_STi

i don't have the answer, but if it works, it will look awesome.
hope it works man. good luck. and post pictures when it is done.
Endless_STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-06, 05:00 PM   #4
pwn n00bs
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

Fav Mod: GTX3582R 1.06 A/R
My Subaru Parts for sale

VSGTS14 is an unknown quantity at this point

is it even possible?

the 05 HVAC seems to be more electrical meaning the plugs for the 04 are probably wayyyy different...
and the ebrake has to be moved.
Old 01-26-06, 06:03 PM   #5
Poor Speed Racer
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Car: pedal powah!
Fav Mod: Tightening the nut behind the wheel!
My Subaru Parts for sale

spazegun2213 is an unknown quantity at this point

no this "should" not work. I mean that you cant just bolt an 05 interior into an 04. That i KNOW you cant do. I'm sure though with some time an a lot of effort you could to it. I talked to a subaru parts person about it (she autoX's her wrx so i trust her word). and she said that the 04 has a more narrow center console and that the bolt patterns are different.

but, thats not to say you cant make it work, but i bet it will be a PITA!
spazegun2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-06, 06:16 PM   #6
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: BNR32 GTR
My Subaru Parts for sale

munky69 is an unknown quantity at this point

someone has done it,it can't be that hard. i've put integra dashes in civics, even that bolted in just fine, but alot of wiring was needed. i may be wrong but i thought i read the 05 hvac plugs in to the 04 harness. now what'd be really cool is to see someone make the tribeca hvac knobs work
Old 01-26-06, 08:01 PM   #7
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: None...
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

MeoW71 is an unknown quantity at this point

You have to put everything in. Dash, etc. Somebody put an 05 interior in a bugeye. I can't find the thread though.
Old 01-26-06, 08:13 PM   #8
Advanced Contributor Level 5
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

Car: 00 2.5RS
Fav Mod: The next one
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

cleatis is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis
Can it be done? Will it ever be done? Who knows?

Maybe I do..................

More to come

IT CAN BE DONE.... IT HAS BEEN DONE..... I KNOW!!!!

I will have pictures of the install, with a list of needed parts and a step by step up soon...

Keep posted...

Nick

Current: 05 CGM STi
Previous......
00 STM 2.5rs
99 2.5rs
07 SWP/ Gold STi
04 WRB/ Gold STi
cleatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-06, 05:24 AM   #9
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

Boxer is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen 05 console stuff in a 04, too. Not sure if it actually works, though..
Old 01-27-06, 11:33 PM   #10
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

volkl23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't wait for the writeup!
volkl23 is offline   Reply With Quote