OEM Turbo boost gauge red light mod - **with pics!** - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Go Back   STI Forums > GD Series STi Discussion (2003/4-2007) > GD-General > GD-Interior > OEM Turbo boost gauge red light mod - **with pics!**
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 03-24-05, 06:50 PM   #1
Indiatr0n in yo IWDPL
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Fav Mod: Brum Brum
My Subaru Parts for sale

nandanrp is an unknown quantity at this point

Well before I jumped in and converted my OEM boost gauge to red, I did a search on here to see if I could find some pictures of what I was going to get myself into. I didn't find any threads with pictures or complete instructions, so I figured I would put pictures of mine up...I know it's fairly simple, but I'm sure there are others out there who wouldn't mind seeing these for future reference.

First of all, let me say that the rubber housing around the boost gauge has a really, really good grip on the gauge. It took some time, a few flathead screwdrivers, and some sore thumbs before I got the gauge out of there...

When you are getting the screwdrivers in there, you need to stretch the rubber housing and stick the flathead in (if you don't stretch it by hand, the screwdriver won't make it very far in there). Also, avoid putting a screwdriver at the top (12 o'clock position) as the power connector is there and you don't want to break it. I didn't know this until I had the gauge out, so avoid that mistake. One last picture with the white gauge, just so people can see the difference...

After the gauge was out, I unplugged the brown power connector (it is at the top of the gauge, just a simple push and it slid right off). There is a small black piece under this power connector - it holds the bulb. Turn it counter-clockwise (if you are facing the back of the gauge) and with about a quarter-turn it will come out. Pull it straight out - the OEM gauge has a blue bulb condom on it. I tried to pull the condom off without tearing it, but it's very thin and rips easily.

The hole in the picture below is where the bulb came out of (sorry, it's a crappy, blurry picture)

The red bulb condoms (ordered from parts express, these are the ones I bought) are a little longer than the bulb, so I had to cut off about 1/4" from the end.

All ready to go back in...

Line the gauge up with "TURBO" horizontally (unless you want to rotate it...) and then push it back into the rubber cup. Here's how it turned out:

Yes, the red needle on the boost gauge is a bit hard to see, but the white lighting on the boost gauge used to glare a lot, and this is much easier on the eyes at night.

OG PWT Member #1 | JDMPW Member #2

2005 OBP purchased 3/16/2005 (Journal) | Mod list
nandanrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-05, 08:34 PM   #2
Platinum Member
Feedback Score: 19 reviews

Fav Mod: Track Time
My Subaru Parts for sale

BoostJunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BoostJunkie

nice work, that looks really good.
Old 03-24-05, 08:36 PM   #3
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: Diamond Black BBS RE's, S2K retrofit
My Subaru Parts for sale

JJ18Sniper is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to JJ18Sniper

Thanks for the writeup! I'm definitely gonna do this mod.

2005 WRX STi - OBP/Diamond Black BBS RE's
2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited w/Nav & Moonroof -
2005 Honda Aquatrax R-12X Turbo - Jetski summer fun!

Journal - Modifications/Pics - EFI Logics Tuned - 354whp, 352 wtq @ 22Psi peak in 5th gear - 93 octane
JJ18Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-05, 10:02 PM   #4
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Meteor Grey 09 TT-S
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Usdmsti is an unknown quantity at this point

dude you are the reason I save money and grow balls to do things like this = ) thanks man Thumbs for kick ass write up
Usdmsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-05, 04:41 AM   #5
sponge worthy

My Subaru Parts for sale

gixxer6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to gixxer6

cool, looks good i think i'll try this too. thanks for the write up this should be a sticky
Old 03-25-05, 04:59 AM   #6
Indiatr0n in yo IWDPL

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: RE: evil car

Thanks guys, I figured I'd show some of the others what they are getting into

I added some tips regarding the screwdrivers - don't put one up at the top (12 o'clock, above where it says "TURBO") because the power connector is up there and you don't want to accidentally snap it with a screwdriver. 15 hours later and my thumbs are still sore from pulling on that rubber housing

Old 03-25-05, 06:28 AM   #7
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 71 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

Paperchasin is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Paperchasin

good job!!! i would've gone with an omori 45mm gauge myself, since its already red lit and slightly larger....
Paperchasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-05, 06:33 AM   #8
Indiatr0n in yo IWDPL

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default RE: Re: RE: New tires on ride but I got rubbing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperchasin
good job!!! i would've gone with an omori 45mm gauge myself, since its already red lit and slightly larger....
My car came with the OEM boost gauge, or else I would have saved up for the Defi BF's...I figure this is a good middle-ground solution, and I don't have to put up with that annoying white glare anymore!

Old 03-25-05, 07:13 AM   #9
Gold Member

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

kat398 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to kat398
Default Re: RE: turbo timer?

cool.
DIY Scoop Screen/STi Floormat/K&N Typhoon/Dual Perrin Catch Cans/Perrin Radiator Shroud/eBay front strut bar/StaticX grounding kit/Helix Downpipe/RockBlocker DIY/Cobb AP Stage2/Goodridge SS BrakeLines/Cobb Catback/CF V-Limited lip/Work Emotion CR KAI 18x8.5 + Kumho Ecsta ASX 245-40-18/Whiteline Steering Rack Bushing/NRG Hood Struts/Whiteline 27-29mm front & 24mm rear swaybars/kartboy front & rear endlinks/Tanabe GF210/Hella SuperTones/
kat398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-05, 07:38 AM   #10
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 71 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

Paperchasin is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Paperchasin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandanrp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperchasin
My car came with the OEM boost gauge, or else I would have saved up for the Defi BF's...I figure this is a good middle-ground solution, and I don't have to put up with that annoying white glare anymore!
i kno wut u mean.... but wut i meant was that u could squeeze an omori 45mm gauge into that lil cup if u wanted to and replace that quarter-sized gauge...
Paperchasin is offline   Reply With Quote