08 + steering wheel in an 04 STi? - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Go Back   STI Forums > GD Series STi Discussion (2003/4-2007) > GD-General > GD-Interior > 08 + steering wheel in an 04 STi?
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 10-14-09, 07:31 AM   #1
Master Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Car: Sold..
Fav Mod: White Paint
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

NewGenSTi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 08 + steering wheel in an 04 STi?

My roll connector is bad in my steering wheel. These are $200+ new and very hard to find used...

Does anyone know if the spline is the same as the newer 08+ steering wheel? I am aware there is an additional sensor in the new roll connector that my 04 does not have, but I can source an 08 steering wheel plus roll connector for less than an 04 roll connector. This leads me to believe I can upgrade to steering wheel radio controls (already know the wiring portion so dont worry about that)

NewGenSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-09, 07:09 AM   #2
Authorized Vendor
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

Alex is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Alex
Default Re: 08 + steering wheel in an 04 STi?

I have been planning a similar swap with my 04. There are several immediate problems with this. My largest concern is that the airbag for the 08 is dual stage, while the airbag for our 04s is single stage. I have not installed a 08 wheel in my 04 yet to go for a drive but I am confident that the blinkers and cruise will work just fine. As for the radio controls, they're cool but only a bonus of this project. Subaru sells "blanks" for the left and right hand control spots and I was considering using those instead.

I am currently trying to source a GR STI airbag as the 04 airbag will not fit on the 08 wheel. Nevertheless, I am fairly certain that the 04 airbag will fit into the 08 airbag cover. All that is required is to compare the way the two covers blow and swap the 04 airbag in. This way you keep the single stage airbag, retain the harness/roll connector and take advantage of the looks of the schnazzy 08 wheel.

The controls on the wheel as well as cruise generally ground to a plate on the airbag unit. You would more than likely need to ground this somewhere for your test drive without the bag.

alex@jpmcoachworks.com
http://www.jpmcoachworks.com

Tel: (770) 293-2120 Ext. 102
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-09, 07:19 AM   #3

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Interesting about the airbag issue.. This was unknown to me.

I recently purchased a new Eclipse 726 head unit and it came with a box to work with the steering wheel controls. That was the only real reason I would consider hooking them up. To do so, you would need to use the 08+ roll connector because the 04 connector would be missing the wires needed for the radio control.

I do admit, I like the looks of the 08 wheel a bit more than the older style. Then again I like the looks of the 08 car better too.. Just cant afford one with the current state of economy.

I take it you have tried and confirmed the 08 spline is the same as the 04-07?

Please keep me posted on how everything works. Maybe I will hold off on purchasing anything until I find out that it is indeed a feasible idea.

I don't mind swapping air bags, but I am a little uncertain after looking at mine as to how you would go about dissecting it.

What goes on with this new dual stage airbag system? Suppose I will have to go and research now

Thanks for the info!

Old 10-15-09, 07:52 AM   #4
pwn n00bs
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

Fav Mod: GTX3582R 1.06 A/R
My Subaru Parts for sale

VSGTS14 is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm interested too. i want that DAMD d shaped one for the 08s. i have no idea if it's a direct swap though.
Old 10-15-09, 09:01 AM   #5

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSGTS14 View Post
i'm interested too. i want that DAMD d shaped one for the 08s. i have no idea if it's a direct swap though.

Yeah, that JDM wheel is pretty slick..... I just want functioning cruise control and maybe volume on the wheel.. That would be satisfying to me. haha

Old 10-15-09, 10:49 AM   #6
Authorized Vendor
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

Alex is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Alex

MY04 to 07 steering wheels fit on the GR so I would imagine vice versa to be true. The roll connectors are not difficult to remove or replace, just a little bit of time.

If you have a 2006+ STI (IIRC), then you already have the dual stage deployment bag. It may be 2005 but I do not have my notes in front of me right now.

alex@jpmcoachworks.com
http://www.jpmcoachworks.com

Tel: (770) 293-2120 Ext. 102
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-09, 02:10 PM   #7
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2010 STi WRB
Fav Mod: Hella Horns
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Gabriel~ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
MY04 to 07 steering wheels fit on the GR so I would imagine vice versa to be true. The roll connectors are not difficult to remove or replace, just a little bit of time.

If you have a 2006+ STI (IIRC), then you already have the dual stage deployment bag. It may be 2005 but I do not have my notes in front of me right now.
any update on this? I have an 05 STI looking towards the possibility of doing this also
Gabriel~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-09, 02:22 PM   #8
pwn n00bs
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

Fav Mod: GTX3582R 1.06 A/R
My Subaru Parts for sale

VSGTS14 is an unknown quantity at this point

yea any updates.
Old 11-13-09, 10:02 AM   #9
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

neoshi is an unknown quantity at this point

bump for updates
neoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-09, 10:17 AM   #10

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Yeah, it was 06 they must have changed because I know alot of people put the 05 black airbag in the 04 to make it look better.

The roll connector changed in 05+ to have the roll sensor (might be 06+ not sure)

As far as updates go, I dont have any time to fool around with a project that might not work. I work 45 hours per week and attend college full time so I have little to no play time for the car. That plus my other hobby of dirt bikes really absorbs alot of me time since its cheaper and more fun to tinker with them than cars.

If someone decides to try this, Please post info as I am still curios about it.

For now, I wired a momentary switch and mounted it on a switch blank inside the car to get my cruise working again (and it does just fine now)
For my travel too and from college/work this will serve its purpose until I can A located a new roll connector for my 04 wheel, or B find an 08 wheel and roll connector UBER cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post