Thoughts/Review/Comparison Should i buy this stock 04 STI - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Should i buy this stock 04 STI
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Thoughts/Review/Comparison Should i buy this stock 04 STI
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 02-18-17, 01:11 PM   #1
Mastermuffin
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Mastermuffin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should i buy this stock 04 STI

Hey all, been browsing the forums ever since i decided i could finally afford to buy an STI.

Tons on great info here!

I went and looked at one yesterday, its an 04 Silver STI completely stock, never modified.
(except for aftermarket stereo).

It has 68000 miles

Hes owned it for 3 years and had all maintenance done at his local Subaru dealer. The car looks very clean except for the normal rock chips.

It does have its original timing belt, which i feel might need replacing due to how old it is.

He wants $18000 and is firm on his price, said he recently took it in too see what he could get for trade in and they offered him 17000.

i'm very tempted to buy it, i have the cash though i originally wasn't planning on spending that much. Was looking at rebuilt titles and higher mileage cars but they all looked like money pits.

Basically i'm torn. I know these cars hold their value well. But 18000 seems like a ton for a 2004 car.

I always wanted an STI when i was younger, and figured they would drop in price. But they seem just as expensive now as they where back in 2008 -2010

From what I've researched this seems like a good deal. At least around where i live in the PNW. What do you guys think? Am i crazy for not buying the car already?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-18-17, 02:25 PM   #2
brapp
Advanced Contributor Level 3

Car: 2005 STi
Fav Mod: going from GR -> GD
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

brapp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Should i buy this stock 04 STI

04-07 STi's hold their value extremely well. Often they run nearly the same price as a similar mileage 08-10+. When I was looking, most of the ones that I saw for sale were over 20k with higher miles and mods.

I was in almost your exact situation a year ago. I found a clean 2005 STi, one-owner, completely stock, with 68k miles locally. He also wanted 18k for it. I checked it out, it was super clean mechanically with a pretty good exterior (rock chips, some scratches, etc). I bought it 2 days later before I had even sold my other car. He hadn't even put it on the market officially yet and had already had a good few people inquire about it as he owned a body shop and had mentioned it to a few people.

At the same time, I had a friend selling a 04 STi that I looked at too. Bit higher miles, about 80k I think. A few mods. He was selling for 16k -- ended up selling about a week after I bought the other one.

Honestly I wouldn't think in terms of "X money for a 2004 car" -- think in terms of "X money for THAT car". If you want a GD STi (04-07), then it's definitely worth jumping on a clean one and IMO definitely worth spending a premium to get a clean, stock, low-mileage one.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-18-17, 04:26 PM   #3
BootsJunkie
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Car: '05 WRB STi
Fav Mod: JDM V8 seats
My Subaru Parts for sale

BootsJunkie will become famous soon enough

I promise you, that car will NOT remain for sale for very long at that price!!

Take that as you will.

2007 Sea-Doo RXT 215 - ET 127 S/C wheel, 3" intake, free flow exhaust, catch can, Rule bilge pump
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-18-17, 11:13 PM   #4
tastetickles
Advanced Mastery Level I

Car: 2013 STi Hatch
Fav Mod: Nut behind wheel
My Subaru Parts for sale

tastetickles will become famous soon enoughtastetickles will become famous soon enough

Buy it now

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-19-17, 05:43 AM   #5
carcus
Becoming A Contributor

Car: WRB '04 WRX STi
Fav Mod: 100% stock
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

carcus is an unknown quantity at this point

X2 buy it, that sounds like a good deal for a clean and stock STi.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-19-17, 06:35 AM   #6
Jay11STI
Developing Advanced Mastery
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI will become famous soon enough

Me personally, I wouln't spend 18K on a car thats already 13yrs old. Yes its an sti, and yes they hold their value well especially with low miles but still. Why not use that money for a nice down payment on a new sti? Figure you can put 15K down and use the other 3K to give yourself a couple of months of debt free driving or use it towards other things. This way you will have a brand new sti and all the nice modern day features and comforts. New and improved suspension and amazing handling out of the box. Although the engine is the same, you will know what yo expect in terms of power and future upgrades. Another perk of a new car will be that the engine is brand new! No need to worry about how it was treated and cared for in the past, it will be brand new.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-19-17, 07:51 AM   #7
mheyman
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Nomal wear & tear
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a jewel in the roughmheyman is a jewel in the roughmheyman is a jewel in the roughmheyman is a jewel in the rough

Jays answer is the correct one if you don't mind having a loan and you don't want to mod - at least till the load is paid off.

An 04 is an old car. Mine is 05, I know. Personally I would not pay that much for an 04 because the 05, 06 and 07 have improvements I would want. Aesthetically I prefer 04-05. I would pay that much or more for a very clean 05-07 though, and they are great cars to build. If you don't want to build, then back to the top. Newer with warranty is a far easier way to go.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI

Last edited by mheyman; 02-19-17 at 06:31 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-19-17, 10:05 AM   #8
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is just really niceGot2Boostit2 is just really niceGot2Boostit2 is just really niceGot2Boostit2 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay11STI View Post
Me personally, I wouln't spend 18K on a car thats already 13yrs old. Yes its an sti, and yes they hold their value well especially with low miles but still. Why not use that money for a nice down payment on a new sti? Figure you can put 15K down and use the other 3K to give yourself a couple of months of debt free driving or use it towards other things. This way you will have a brand new sti and all the nice modern day features and comforts. New and improved suspension and amazing handling out of the box. Although the engine is the same, you will know what yo expect in terms of power and future upgrades. Another perk of a new car will be that the engine is brand new! No need to worry about how it was treated and cared for in the past, it will be brand new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
Jays answer is the correct one if you don't mind having a loan and you don't want to mode - at least till the load is paid off.

An 04 is an old car. Mine is 05, I know. Personally I would not pay that much for an 04 because the 05, 06 and 07 have improvements I would want. Aesthetically I prefer 04-05. I would pay that much or more for a very clean 05-07 though, and they are great cars to build. If you don't want to build, then back to the top. Newer with warranty is a far easier way to go.
What these guys have said. I've owned an '04 since new. But it has been modified with '07 suspension parts.mto me te year to buy would be 2005 or 2006. Just my preference.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => http://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-19-17, 02:47 PM   #9
brapp
Advanced Contributor Level 3

Car: 2005 STi
Fav Mod: going from GR -> GD
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

brapp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay11STI View Post
Depends on what you want.

I bought my 05 specifically because it was not a more modern car. I could've easily afforded a brand new one, but the GD cars are really something special.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-19-17, 06:06 PM   #10
Mastermuffin
Becoming A Contributor

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Mastermuffin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the responses!

I really only want an 04 -05 STI. My current car is a 1991 Miata with no power steering, so it would actually be a major upgrade in terms of road noise and comfort. As for a loan, I've never had a car loan and enjoy the freedom of not having monthly payments. i prefer to own things outright. I guess the biggest holdup is that i really prefer an 05, and really want an Aspen White Sti. But finding one that's lower mileage and as clean as this car is probably like finding a needle in a haystack from what I've seen so far.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0