Exterior Prorack Whispbar roof rack installed on 06 STI using rain gutter brackets - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Prorack Whispbar roof rack installed on 06 STI using rain gutter brackets
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Exterior Prorack Whispbar roof rack installed on 06 STI using rain gutter brackets
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 04-05-12, 10:27 PM   #1
maverickar15
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 06 STi / 14 FXT
Fav Mod: 115k miles
My Subaru Parts for sale

maverickar15 is on a distinguished road
Default Prorack Whispbar roof rack installed on 06 STI using rain gutter brackets

I bought Whispbar last year after doing some research vs Yakima and Thule solutions. These bars seemed to be the most silent, while being as low profile as possible. I bought the rack originally for my A3 which was going to be my new daily commuter car, but having this "low profile" meant it rendered the sun roof on the A3 completely useless because I could no longer fully open it. Also, my A3 didn't come with a roof rail, which meant I had to mount the roof rack by having pads sit on the roof, and brackets go under the window rubber molding. I didn't like this way of mounting, so I decided to move the rack to my STI by using the rain gutter method.

I used the following

• Prorack Whispbar S16 (through-bar)
  • Fit Kit 323 (permanent)
  • Beefed-up roof rack brackets for GD Impreza Sedan by krazy
  • M6x1.0x50mm set screws and low profile nuts

Some during-install and after-install pictures

How many wings do I have? Well...how about FOUR???

Rain gutter had to come out for the install. I also had to drop the headliner (which meant taking out most of the interior from chest-up) so I could replace the brackets. I put the new one in with liberal dose of silicone for weather proofing. The most trouble I had was actually drilling the rain gutters for the screw holes for the roof rack. I measured many times then drilled it but the curvature of the rain gutter meant I couldn't measure it straight up using a tape measure. Even though I now have oval-looking holes instead of circular hole in the rain gutter, you can't see it because the roof rack pads are hiding the whole thing.

Below is the comparison of stock rain gutter brackets vs krazy's version

13 BRZ (sold)
04 FXT (sold)

Last edited by maverickar15; 04-05-12 at 10:54 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-17-12, 09:35 PM   #2
maverickar15
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Prorack Whispbar roof rack installed on 06 STI using rain gutter brackets

Said bars in use with raptor aero rack.

13 BRZ (sold)
04 FXT (sold)
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-30-12, 08:32 PM   #3
zavigm
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 04 sti psm
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

zavigm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Prorack Whispbar roof rack installed on 06 STI using rain gutter brackets

Looks awesome, thanks for the write up. I have a couple of questions:

1. When looking at various sites, they call for the K368 fit kit for "Naked Roof-Fixed Point" installs (for something like the 08 STi with the mount points that would effectively be the same as with Krazy's brackets)

Just wondering what made you go with the 323 fit kit, and what the difference is if you know?

2. Where you have the m6 x 1.0 50mm set screw going into the bracket, did you use lock-tite along with the nut? And I assume that the feet on the fit kit just have a hidden nut to secure it down onto that set screw as opposed to the yakima "landing pad" style feet that have a bolt that go down into the bracket.

Thanks again for the writeup. I was going to go with the standard yakima setup until I saw your thread and another on Nabisco where you posted your setup. This seems like it will look a lot cleaner on my PSM car.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-30-12, 08:49 PM   #4
zavigm
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I actually figured out the answer to my questions... the pdf of the fit guide lists 368 so I assumed that was the one that bolts into the factory fixed mount points (like on the 2008) but when looking at the pics on another site, it looks more like it hooks under that factory mount.

368:

323:

Last edited by zavigm; 04-30-12 at 08:52 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-04-12, 06:15 PM   #5
maverickar15
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Hey, sorry I didn't see a reply to this post.

I like the "permanent" kit better because it is actually bolted on using screws (through rain gutter of course) rather than having the feet go under the rubber seals on the windows. I think it is more robust and most of the feet is actually just touching the rain gutter, not the paint.

If you need more pictures of the rack tower with the covers off I can post them here.
13 BRZ (sold)
04 FXT (sold)
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-04-12, 06:35 PM   #6
maverickar15
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Oh another thing... one great thing with this rack is, if you want to take the cross bars off (taking to track, not carrying anything whatever), you can do so without having to remove the whole assembly. In fact, the base is still low profile but enough to hide the ugly screws which otherwise would protrude through the rain gutters.

Here is with just the cross bars removed.

The cross bars are held by two pins on each base.

Here is my crossbars with bike rack still on it
13 BRZ (sold)
04 FXT (sold)
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-04-12, 09:16 PM   #7
krazy
Becoming An Advanced Contributor

Car: 04 Subaru WRX STi
Fav Mod: jdm fogs
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

krazy is an unknown quantity at this point

Officially my favorite set up Mav! Well done sir! Awesome!

04 JBP STi

EDO protuned 300awhp, 314awtq, K&N typhoon, helix dp, borla hush, walbro, defi BFs, gt spec subframe, gt spec alk, STi rep strut bars, cusco zero-2e, work emo kai 18x7.5, s202 cf wing, v-limited replica lip, 05 interior console
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-05-12, 04:07 PM   #8
zavigm
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

sweet, thanks for the response!

I ordered 50mm grub screws and jam nuts to attach to Krazy's brackets (just got them all in the mail and they seem like they'll be nice and sturdy!)

I was thinking of making the holes in the rain gutter large enough that I could remove the screws and throw a hole plug in there if I ever wanted to remove the rack. I'll probably just end up never removing but as you pointed out, it doesn't look bad just having the smart foot setup on there if you were to remove the rest of the rack.

One last question: How is the raptor aero working out for you? I'll be carrying 3 bikes on my rack and before I place my order for the whispbar, I'm still trying to decide between the raptor aero, Inno 382 (or possibly 388) and/or something like the Yakima Front Loader.

thanks
z
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-07-12, 09:02 AM   #9
maverickar15
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavigm View Post
sweet, thanks for the response!

I ordered 50mm grub screws and jam nuts to attach to Krazy's brackets (just got them all in the mail and they seem like they'll be nice and sturdy!)

I was thinking of making the holes in the rain gutter large enough that I could remove the screws and throw a hole plug in there if I ever wanted to remove the rack. I'll probably just end up never removing but as you pointed out, it doesn't look bad just having the smart foot setup on there if you were to remove the rest of the rack.

One last question: How is the raptor aero working out for you? I'll be carrying 3 bikes on my rack and before I place my order for the whispbar, I'm still trying to decide between the raptor aero, Inno 382 (or possibly 388) and/or something like the Yakima Front Loader.

thanks
z
I have both both Raptor Aero and Front loader. Front loader is definitely much more secure but also more expensive and much heavier. Notice that Front loader also does not come with the "aero bar" adapter kit (or whatever they are called) so that is an extra $30-40 on top of the price on a Front loader. I'd say Front loader is slightly easier to load the bike but not by much.

I personally think you'd be just fine with Raptor Aero. I personally don't like removing my front wheel so that is the best solution. If you are okay with removing front wheel, then look into Rocky mounts - they make some of the most sleekest looking bike mounts.
13 BRZ (sold)
04 FXT (sold)

Last edited by maverickar15; 05-07-12 at 09:05 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-07-12, 09:42 AM   #10
zavigm
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Well I ended up going with the Whispbar HD base kit (T16) + 323 fit kit and 3 Front loaders.

I was under the impression that the yak FrontLoader was a universal fit and goes right onto the aerobars. (I believe the HighRoller—slightly more expensive—was the one that required the mighty mount kits) I guess I could be wrong but I sure hope not. I've spent a lot of coin for this setup so I really don't want to kick down anything more!!

I think overall I would have been fine with the Raptor Aero but it didn't look like you could secure it to the base rack though. I didn't want to get it stolen.

And the Rocky Mounts looks very nice, but I definitely don't want to have to take the front wheels off. I'll be taking a long road trip this summer with the two kids and I need all the trunk space I can get for other clothes/gear.

Last edited by zavigm; 05-07-12 at 09:47 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0