Exterior ULTIMATE Impreza Roof Rack Solution!!! Pics and Installation Write-Up - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
ULTIMATE Impreza Roof Rack Solution!!! Pics and Installation Write-Up
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Exterior ULTIMATE Impreza Roof Rack Solution!!! Pics and Installation Write-Up
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 04-12-11, 09:05 PM   #1
krazy
Becoming An Advanced Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 04 Subaru WRX STi
Fav Mod: jdm fogs
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

krazy is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up ULTIMATE Impreza Roof Rack Solution!!! Pics and Installation Write-Up

Disclaimer: This thread topic is purely informational and to answer any questions in regards to the set-up. Please do not ask about pricing and or things related to that. I do not want to get this locked.

Some of you guys have been reading about this from start to finish. It all started with jsavage's 2nd gen DIY thread. He did his set up based upon the Thule rack, while I developed my set up based upon the Yakima rack. (NASIOC - View Single Post - Custom Roof Rack Installation w/Instructions - Second Generation!) This topic specifically deals with the Yakima set up, why you ask?

The 2008+ Subaru Imprezas use the same exact set up (Yakima). The 2008+ OEM Subaru rack is also similar with exception of the screws (this I am not sure on, they could be in fact the same size screws as what I used). So this allows MY01 - MY07 to use the same rack as the newer cars, that is more solid, sleek, and secure.

The old way of modifying q-clips (How To: Custom Installed Yakima Rack - NASIOC) is long gone, and this is the BEST permanent solution in my opinion. You don't damage any paint, they CANNOT be pried off the car like how they were originally on my car :diaf:

I originally started with modifying the original brackets located on the car. Drilling and tapping the thin steel, and using anorexic 10-32 cap screws to secure the Yakima Landing Pads (#11) to my car. They worked for awhile, but they didn't suit me as a "permanent" solution. So what I did was launched up SolidWorks and made a simple bracket that would suit my needs.

Conception:

From there, it launched this thread topic: New product interest thread, Roof Rack related - NASIOC

Then to the prototypes:

Then we get to this thread, where the final iterations are decided on and a solution to the everlasting issue of solidly mounting a roof rack is resolved

Here, compare the 2, which one looks more sturdy?

What we have on the left is a mild steel bracket, stamped into shape, with some pressed in studs. The new bracket is made from 303 Stainless Steel, machined from a billet bar stock, drilled/tapped with M6x1.0 threads, and bead blasted. Hardware is 18-8 M6x1.0 x16mm socket head cap screws, and you use the hardware that come with the Yakima Landing Pads. Onto the installation! Next post.

04 JBP STi

EDO protuned 300awhp, 314awtq, K&N typhoon, helix dp, borla hush, walbro, defi BFs, gt spec subframe, gt spec alk, STi rep strut bars, cusco zero-2e, work emo kai 18x7.5, s202 cf wing, v-limited replica lip, 05 interior console
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-12-11, 09:05 PM   #2
krazy

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: ULTIMATE Impreza Roof Rack Solution!!! Pics and Installation Write-Up

So, you have to removed the old brackets, and it takes a bit of work, but it's not too bad. Remove the rain gutter strips on the roof to expose the stock bracketry (sorry I didn't take pics of this, but there is a online guide somewhere). You basically have to use a small screwdriver and locate the sliding clips under the strip. Once you locate one, push it forward with the screwdriver to unlock it from the metal tab on the roof. You will see if you stand on the door sill, and look on the side farthest to the door. Put it aside, and move to the interior.

1) Remove the sun visor, and put the screws somewhere safe.

2) Pull away the side pillar

3) Remove the "Oh *****" handles

4) Pop out the lower panel by the seatbelt

5) Pop off seat belt slider cover and loosen slider

6) Pop off top panel by seat belt

7) Pull down headliner to expose "Oh *****" handle bracket (you will have one in the front and one in the rear)

04 JBP STi

EDO protuned 300awhp, 314awtq, K&N typhoon, helix dp, borla hush, walbro, defi BFs, gt spec subframe, gt spec alk, STi rep strut bars, cusco zero-2e, work emo kai 18x7.5, s202 cf wing, v-limited replica lip, 05 interior console

Last edited by krazy; 05-04-12 at 07:26 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-12-11, 09:06 PM   #3
krazy

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: ULTIMATE Impreza Roof Rack Solution!!! Pics and Installation Write-Up

8) Remove the nuts holding the stock bracket to the car, once they are removed, you can lift up the old bracket and chuck it in the trash!

9) Get a new bracket out and put some included silicone on the bottom of the bracket, covering the holes, being as liberally as you want. Then place over the holes.

10) Place silicone on screws, covering a good amount 360 degrees around the screw.

11) Put the screws in the hole and use the stock nuts to tighten down.

12) Use some masking tape to mark the location of the threaded holes, and put the rain gutter strips on to estimate where to drill. Drill a big enough hole to clear an M6x1.0 screw.

13) Use some threadlocker and mount Yakima Landing Pad onto roof, thread in and grab to check sturdiness.

14) Repeat for all corners! Attach the rest of the Yakima Rack (control towers and cross bars).

Enjoy!!

http://hectordtruong.blogspot.com/

04 JBP STi

Last edited by krazy; 04-12-11 at 09:09 PM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 04-12-11, 09:06 PM   #4
krazy

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

reserved for updates/questions

04 JBP STi

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-12-11, 09:16 PM   #5
JZeezSTi
"The LEGEND"
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Fav Mod: The Driver Mod
My Subaru Parts for sale

JZeezSTi is on a distinguished road

Wow. Impressive!

(first)

Old 04-12-11, 09:34 PM   #6
Andor
Advanced Contributor Level 4

Fav Mod: Catless TBE
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Andor is an unknown quantity at this point

wow very simple and easy write up!! great job!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-12-11, 09:36 PM   #7
krazy

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Thanks guys!

04 JBP STi

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-13-11, 09:22 AM   #8
2.5 turbo hyped
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: Carbon/Kevlar Karlton's flares
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

2.5 turbo hyped is an unknown quantity at this point

I ended up using the old school yakima racks/clips and attached it to the rain gutter brackets.

This, however is even cleaner.

Slick.

Tons of pictures of all of my DIY projects can be found here http://www.putphoto.com/sti2nr

Visit my youtube page http://www.youtube.com/sti2nr2
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-13-11, 10:12 AM   #9
etl003
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 16 reviews

Car: CGM 06 STi
Fav Mod: zerosports air splitter, lomileage, & EFI Logics tune
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

etl003 is an unknown quantity at this point

damnit another 80 bucks i have to spend
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-13-11, 10:22 AM   #10
krazy

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Thanks for the support guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.5 turbo hyped View Post
I ended up using the old school yakima racks/clips and attached it to the rain gutter brackets.

This, however is even cleaner.

Slick.
I used to have this set up too, then I did the drill and tap method. I wasn't 100% happy so I had to do this. For those that don't know, there are other roof rack "solutions" as well but here is the round up, and why they could be inferior:

1) Stock yakima/thule set up which clips to the pillar edge above the window. Metal to metal contact and the feet sit on the paint. Horrible. You can't use window visors, and they sit fairly low.
2) Modified q-clips from 1), they basically now clip into the brackets under your gutter strip instead, but they can be stolen easily with a pry bar. Ive had mine stolen with a bunch of damage.
3) EDM Roof carrier, the most OEM of the systems but is UGLY as poop, LOUD (square bars), and sits super high, with no option for a fairing. Costs about $350ish from the UK as well.
4) Drill and tap stock brackets, this is what I had before these brackets came along, but they are mild steel, thinly stamped metal, and they will rust once you drill and tap them.

04 JBP STi

Likes 0 Dislikes 0