IW STi Forum banner

08 + steering wheel in an 04 STi?

Interior 
33K views 94 replies 22 participants last post by  DNelly 
#1 ·
My roll connector is bad in my steering wheel. These are $200+ new and very hard to find used...

Does anyone know if the spline is the same as the newer 08+ steering wheel? I am aware there is an additional sensor in the new roll connector that my 04 does not have, but I can source an 08 steering wheel plus roll connector for less than an 04 roll connector. This leads me to believe I can upgrade to steering wheel radio controls (already know the wiring portion so dont worry about that)

#2 ·
I have been planning a similar swap with my 04. There are several immediate problems with this. My largest concern is that the airbag for the 08 is dual stage, while the airbag for our 04s is single stage. I have not installed a 08 wheel in my 04 yet to go for a drive but I am confident that the blinkers and cruise will work just fine. As for the radio controls, they're cool but only a bonus of this project. Subaru sells "blanks" for the left and right hand control spots and I was considering using those instead.

I am currently trying to source a GR STI airbag as the 04 airbag will not fit on the 08 wheel. Nevertheless, I am fairly certain that the 04 airbag will fit into the 08 airbag cover. All that is required is to compare the way the two covers blow and swap the 04 airbag in. This way you keep the single stage airbag, retain the harness/roll connector and take advantage of the looks of the schnazzy 08 wheel.

The controls on the wheel as well as cruise generally ground to a plate on the airbag unit. You would more than likely need to ground this somewhere for your test drive without the bag.

#3 ·
Interesting about the airbag issue.. This was unknown to me.

I recently purchased a new Eclipse 726 head unit and it came with a box to work with the steering wheel controls. That was the only real reason I would consider hooking them up. To do so, you would need to use the 08+ roll connector because the 04 connector would be missing the wires needed for the radio control.

I do admit, I like the looks of the 08 wheel a bit more than the older style. Then again I like the looks of the 08 car better too.. Just cant afford one with the current state of economy.

I take it you have tried and confirmed the 08 spline is the same as the 04-07?

Please keep me posted on how everything works. Maybe I will hold off on purchasing anything until I find out that it is indeed a feasible idea.

I don't mind swapping air bags, but I am a little uncertain after looking at mine as to how you would go about dissecting it.

What goes on with this new dual stage airbag system? Suppose I will have to go and research now

Thanks for the info!

#6 ·
MY04 to 07 steering wheels fit on the GR so I would imagine vice versa to be true. The roll connectors are not difficult to remove or replace, just a little bit of time.

If you have a 2006+ STI (IIRC), then you already have the dual stage deployment bag. It may be 2005 but I do not have my notes in front of me right now.

#7 ·
MY04 to 07 steering wheels fit on the GR so I would imagine vice versa to be true. The roll connectors are not difficult to remove or replace, just a little bit of time.

If you have a 2006+ STI (IIRC), then you already have the dual stage deployment bag. It may be 2005 but I do not have my notes in front of me right now.
any update on this? I have an 05 STI looking towards the possibility of doing this also

#25 ·
Yes, it's an 06 with dual stage airbag. I did get the controls working as well. I unfortunately did not take pics of the install, but lucky for you guys (crappy for me) I had to send my DAMD wheel back because it had a cut in the leather. As soon as i get the new one I will take pics of what I did and do a write up for you guys.

#29 ·
The spline on the 08 is not any different. I have had every wheel on our 08 STi and they all "work". For those wondering about the single stage / dual stage dilemma. I believe you could put the 04/05 airbag into this wheel and use the 08+ cover. I am still waiting for a 08+ airbag to surface so I can test this theory though. Feel free to donate to the cause :)

#31 ·
I love it...... I think it might have solved my problem were I love the 06-07 exterior and but prefer the 08+ interior. I love that wheel!!. So thats an aftermarket wheel with an 08+ STI airbag cover? or does that come together? Ive seen that wheel on Japanparts.com but did not have the STI cover:eek2:

#32 · (Edited)
i'm pretty sure the 08+ airbag cover is the same shape and size as the GD 3 spoke wheel..

modliving of subaruforester.org installed the DAMD setup on his 08 Forester Sports XT with a GD airbag. He said you can just purchase the silver pieces between the ring and the airbag and reuse the old airbag.

used this ring: http://www.avojdm.com/product_info.php?cPath=65_71&products_id=176

to make this setup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.