Other OEM exhaust manifold porting - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
OEM exhaust manifold porting
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Other OEM exhaust manifold porting
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 01-25-11, 06:12 AM   #11
stinkfinger
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: CJ-7 STI FJ100 EC300
Fav Mod: x-brace
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

stinkfinger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OEM exhaust manifold porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma_man View Post
How did the x-pipe "outlet" diameter compare to the inlet diameter of the manifold section (the one with 3 inlets and connected to the up-pipe). Was there an appreciable step-down? If so, this would presumably cause more back pressure than the step-up from the other manifold into the x-pipe.

i hope that made sense...
The inner diameter of the Grimmspeed x-pipe was quite a bit larger (~1/4" going from memory) than the manifolds to which it attaches. This mismatch is the same at both ends. I'd agree with your assumption that such a large step change in diameter would negatively affect flow. I wouldn't bother installing a larger x-pipe without port matching the cast iron manifolds.

2006 WRB, RallyArmors, RPF1s, AEM CAI, Perrin inlet, Dom 1.5, ported: [IC Y-pipe, throttle body, exh manifolds], GR TMIC, MAW TGVs, Aeromotive FPR & rails, ID1000s, xpipe, uppipe, 3-port, Tial MVS EWG, APS 3" catless, Walbro, 1-step colder NGKs, EBCS. RCE blacks, WL 24mm RSB, COM-Cs, ALK, free caster mod, cowl stays, CL X-Brace, Group-N susp bushes, WL rear subframe lock bolts, R diff & outrigger bushes, TiC shift & trans x-member bushes, SS brake lines. 19psi 352whp@6500/330wtq@3700-5500
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-27-11, 06:37 AM   #12
Cycluraman
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Car: TT350 Z , Golf R
Fav Mod: 3 Turbos!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Cycluraman is an unknown quantity at this point

I Just finished porting my cast iron manifolds and got the Grimmspeed Xpipe. I am doing a turbo upgrade so no dyno #s compared to the STG2 tune. I just gasket matched each flange and smoothed everything over. I also went and ground off the exterior flash casting as to not cut the wrap and I read somewhere it helps. I am going to wrap them with some DEI Ti wrap and spray them with heat treatment. I have some Prosport EL headers and they are not compatable as they come 3 flange and the turbo kit is set up for 2.(P&L 3076R .62) So they are for sale now. My car did really well (302whp,358wtq stg2 Dan Mach V) with the EL I will be curious how switching will affect it. I am sure once I get it tuned after the install I wont notice the change over!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-18-11, 04:40 PM   #13
fatbastard

Car: '11 STi Sedan
Fav Mod: Suspension
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

fatbastard is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkfinger View Post
The inner diameter of the Grimmspeed x-pipe was quite a bit larger (~1/4" going from memory) than the manifolds to which it attaches. This mismatch is the same at both ends. I'd agree with your assumption that such a large step change in diameter would negatively affect flow. I wouldn't bother installing a larger x-pipe without port matching the cast iron manifolds.
how many carbide burrs did you use for the exhaust manifold porting?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-31-11, 09:31 PM   #14
stinkfinger

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
how many carbide burrs did you use for the exhaust manifold porting?
Just one, it held up fine and is still going strong.
2006 WRB, RallyArmors, RPF1s, AEM CAI, Perrin inlet, Dom 1.5, ported: [IC Y-pipe, throttle body, exh manifolds], GR TMIC, MAW TGVs, Aeromotive FPR & rails, ID1000s, xpipe, uppipe, 3-port, Tial MVS EWG, APS 3" catless, Walbro, 1-step colder NGKs, EBCS. RCE blacks, WL 24mm RSB, COM-Cs, ALK, free caster mod, cowl stays, CL X-Brace, Group-N susp bushes, WL rear subframe lock bolts, R diff & outrigger bushes, TiC shift & trans x-member bushes, SS brake lines. 19psi 352whp@6500/330wtq@3700-5500
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-02-11, 09:36 PM   #15
04ssti
Advanced Contributor Level 4

Car: Black 04 STi
Fav Mod: Hybrid Boost Control
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

04ssti is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an 04 with a 35r, heads, and cams. I am running the perrin EL header, primaries are less then 1.5" so I think its choking, and there are bad transitions from ports. I want to get an UEL header or port out an oem manifold myself. I was thinking the oem route and porting it all the way through to match the grimmspeed x-pipe, 1.9" and port matching. Thoughts? I guess anything would be better than what I got now...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-09-11, 11:43 AM   #16
stinkfinger

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ssti View Post
I have an 04 with a 35r, heads, and cams. I am running the perrin EL header, primaries are less then 1.5" so I think its choking, and there are bad transitions from ports. I want to get an UEL header or port out an oem manifold myself. I was thinking the oem route and porting it all the way through to match the grimmspeed x-pipe, 1.9" and port matching. Thoughts? I guess anything would be better than what I got now...
I guess I would have assumed (based on the classic "Rainmaker" header dyno comparison thread over on nasioc) that Perrin ELs flow better than P&P stockers w/crosspipe.

Why specifically UEL, out of curiosity? If I had a big turbo car, I'd probably look for an EL alternative with larger primaries.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-19-17, 09:55 PM   #17
jmlegacy
Joined the Conversation

Car: 2005 JDM Legacy GT
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

jmlegacy is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently bought a porting tool and carbide bit to port the stock header. Also will wrap it in titanium wrap when I'm done.

But based on what I'm reading the head and the manifold are already the same diameter. hmm. So the claims of spool increases are mainly due to smoothing out the bend in the manifold or what?

EDIT: Ported my manifold. I thnk there is an advantage in porting it. Why? Because hot exhaust gases leaving the ex valve needs some space to go, but not too much. This is why the ex port on the head is significantly larger than the valve itself. I'm guessing the sweet spot diameter is closer to what we reach when porting the stock manifold.

Last edited by jmlegacy; 03-31-17 at 08:21 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0