IW STi Forum banner

*PSA??* Cobb V3 gauge setup: knock monitoring

103K views 129 replies 37 participants last post by  yamahaSHO 
#1 · (Edited)
My setup (I will switch voltage to A/F correction)

(Yes Jorge's tunes give me better mileage than a Prius
)

Main thing I want to draw people's attention to is feedback correction/fine knock learning. Say you are doing fine after a protune and few months down the line you get presumably a bad tank of gas. If you consistently keep the Cobb V3 attached as a gauge, and you do a pull, you'll see the changes in the max/min values of feedback correction (most of the time negative) after the pull. You will instantly know that you are pulling timing due to knock and you may want to investigate further with a full datalog or just take it easy on this tank of bad gas.

Significant knock = consistent and/or occurs across multiple cells

I think the Cobb V3 is a game changer in realtime knock monitoring which allows constant vigilance of factors that can damage piston ringlands where in the past, these factors went unnoticed for too long or a hassle to obtain in a lengthy datalog.

This makes Cobb AP an even more worthwhile purchase for your car. You gain such a comprehensive assessment of the health of the engine and tune with constant awareness of the DAM, FKC, and FKL. You know at a moment's notice something isn't right and it is your judgment call to not push the car too hard on this batch of bad gas or delve into it with a full datalog.

This is bad gas:

My DAM was 1 prior to this fill up. Right after I filled up with apparently bad 93 octane, I noticed -1.1 knock at partial throttle and DAM dropped to 0.8 which means timing was pulled by 20% across the board. My DAM came back to 1 after the next tank. Had I not been monitoring, I could have unknowingly encountered this repeatedly in the future and you could see how bad it would bode for my motor in the long term.

See less See more
1 3
#3 ·
Double sided tape that came on the pod and stick it right onto side of radio :lol:

#5 ·
yeah hopefully I can get 60k miles or more out of this built motor ;) I like the balance I have with power and drivability right now, who knows if I just completely decide to trash drivability in the future for power

#7 ·
get 2000cc injectors :lol:

I would change out A/F for A/F correction. The OEM sensor gives out worthless A/F values since it is narrowband, mostly. A/F correction can detect any leaks in your system or bad MAF sensor, etc if >8%

#10 ·
:lol:

The insane spool up sound and 600 pound wall of torque hitting your face with a big turbo makes you quickly forget the cute, hello-kitty turbo that has an asthma attack past 5.5rpms.

#17 ·
Yeah I think the middle ground is just hook it up at least one time for every new tank of gas to make sure that gas is decent quality :D

#21 ·
A bit off topic, but curious why not many people do knock lights anymore...

I like the ability of the V3 to monitor multiple parameters, just wishing someone comes up with a clean install.

I'm looking into multiple gauges so I can monitor multiple parameters without feeling like I'm driving a spaceship. Lol.

#28 · (Edited)
A bit off topic, but curious why not many people do knock lights anymore...

I did the same thing looked for a separate knock light for ever and I couldn't find one. AP wasn't really an option because I had move to open source. I the found this :

RomRaider • View topic - Hacking with HEW

I like it it's more integrated :)

4 flash at -1.4
8 flash at -2.8

#25 ·
^^^I've had a v2 before and ended up going open source, but I knew I had to get the v3 once I saw it. It's leagues better because of the ability to monitor multiple parameters and is also a bit faster. It kind of reminds of the GT-R's digital gauges and it's so convenient now with the new On/Off button and the included dock.

I leave it hooked up 24/7 now, basically an extension of my gauge cluster.

#30 ·
This is how is had mine set up. I just ran the cable around the top of the steering wheel and tucked up under the column so it didn't hang down at all. I uno,ug it and out it wpaway when out of the car but the cable just hides right next to the steering wheel. Made it simple.

Though I had all the same parameters as you do after a couple days. Now though it's going to be a bit different with the new gauges but my AP will be in the same spot. It's easy to see and monitor there. Very handy.

#33 ·
Re: Re: *PSA??* Cobb V3 gauge setup: knock monitoring

This is how is had mine set up. I just ran the cable around the top of the steering wheel and tucked up under the column so it didn't hang down at all. I uno,ug it and out it wpaway when out of the car but the cable just hides right next to the steering wheel. Made it simple.

Though I had all the same parameters as you do after a couple days. Now though it's going to be a bit different with the new gauges but my AP will be in the same spot. It's easy to see and monitor there. Very handy.

Image Link
Kinda off topic, but I noticed your vacuum reads -8.3 with the engine warmed up, what elevation are you at?

#36 ·
Hmmm maybe I did? It's a bit too late now as I'm sure it'll all be worked out but IIrC it was at 10 when I was driving around for the couple of weeks I had it. Even on the picture you can see the min value was almost -8.56. In any case like a said kind of a moot point at this stage of the game. But thank you for the reference point for the future

#39 ·
Re: Re: *PSA??* Cobb V3 gauge setup: knock monitoring

The v3 can display your last gauge setup once it turns on and you can display up to 6 gauges at once, so you no longer have to re-setup the gauges each time. It also has an on/off button, which is why it can now become a permanent part of your car.

#43 ·
@ebricky
I would like to think that if you were to log the stock tune vs a pro tune and prove that said pro tune is safer than the factory tune, subaru would still cover any possible damage done. Wishful thinking. But then again, the second you modify the engine in any way the repercussions are on the owner, not Subaru.

There are a ton of guys who have modified with no issues, and now thanks to a cheap/easy way to live monitor with the V3 AP you can really see what's going on. Data logging + Live Monitoring = piece of mind.

The best part about this whole thing is that there are great resources with knowledgable people on these forums and as much information as you want to get your hands on. My suggestion is to do a ton of searching and reading to make the best possible choice for you. And if modifying the engine scares you, spend some money on handling. Either way you'll love the car even more.

#46 ·
so i broke down and traded in my v2 for the v3 because i want to view multiple parameters at one time. although, honestly speaking, the most important parameter to monitor is feedback knock correction.

mine is set up like this going down from top left: feedback knock correction, fine knock learning, coolant temp, boost, dam, and a/f learning.

#47 ·
I think the potential problems with the motor you can avoid makes the V3 worth it ;)

#51 ·
DAM should be 1, feedback knock correction and fine knock learning should be ideally be 0

then do boost, coolant temp/intake temp, a/f learning

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.