Other Tuning: Best Gauges *Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure, etc.* - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Best Gauges *Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure, etc.*
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Other Tuning: Best Gauges *Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure, etc.*
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 03-10-17, 06:22 PM   #1
Flow Wulf
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Flow Wulf is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Best Gauges *Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure, etc.*

I want to get some gauges for my soon to be STI & I was wondering what gauges would be best for monitoring my car? I am looking for gauges that will tell me when something is wrong with my car so I can save myself from an exploding engine or something similar. I was told fuel pressure, oil pressure, & air/fuel ratio. I am planning on getting DEFI gauges because I read that they are #1.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-10-17, 06:35 PM   #2
brapp
Advanced Contributor Level 3

Car: 2005 STi
Fav Mod: going from GR -> GD
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

brapp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best Gauges *Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure, etc.*

I love my Defi gauges. There are a lot of cheaper alternatives... way cheaper alternatives... but I saved up and waited for quite awhile until I felt like spending the money on the Defi ones. Way I see it, a measuring tool that isn't completely dead accurate is worse than no measuring tool at all.

Personally, on my Stage 2 car, I have boost, oil temp, and AFR. Of these, I like oil temp the most. Lets me know when it's safe to drive hard, will help alert me to critically low oil levels, and will let me know if I need to back off on a track day.

AFR... I'm on the fence with this one. It can give you great info, but is mostly just used while tuning. But it can help you monitor a ton of different things, so can be useful. FYI, can also help you know if your fuel system is having troubles. Not enough fuel - it'll read lean.

Boost is just fun. I have it because I like it more than it's actually useful. But is nice to see that I'm consistently hitting target boost and can also be good in letting you know if something is off.

As for oil pressure, I went back and forth... I think oil temp is more useful. And will serve the same "oh shit" function as if you lose tons of oil, your temp will skyrocket.

Only time I've heard of people running fuel pressure is on built motors pushing lots of boost through heavily modified fueling systems.

I think the one I'd add if I were to add another one would be EGT as it can help you monitor detonation.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 03-10-17, 07:06 PM   #3
Flow Wulf
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Do you have the Defi Advanced Control Unit? How much was it? Do I just need to buy that and the gauges? or is there extra wires and shit I need to buy?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-10-17, 07:16 PM   #4
Flow Wulf
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Oh and brappp what do you think of the newer Defi Advance A1 gauges? I am looking into those because they seem like the top of the line gauges that are fairly new. & is it easy to learn to read the different measurements? The A1 Advance series seem to all be metric. Where should I buy my gauge pod? How does this one look? ATI Triple Meter Center Dash Pod - Subaru WRX STI 2004-2007 | CLUST-25EJ-5 What gauges would you recommend I get? Plan on sticking with an exhaust, intake, & custom tune by a shop. Want to be mostly stock the car has enough power for me.

Last edited by Flow Wulf; 03-10-17 at 07:25 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-10-17, 07:46 PM   #5
brapp

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I got the Red Racer series gauges, so no control unit. The Advance A1 units look nice... not a fan of the white personally. The Red Racer ones match the stock cluster almost perfectly. Look practically OEM.

The main advantage of the ones with control units is they can datalog for you. For my purposes, I don't feel that is terribly necessary. I mostly got the gauges so I can monitor the engine during track use... and it's easy enough to glance over on a straightaway to see that everything looks good.

As far as figuring out what they should read, it's pretty easy. You can research around and find what good values are for everything and you'll pretty quickly get a sense of what is normal for your car.

I got the ATI Triple Gauge pod. I'm pretty meh on it. It works well and looks pretty good. Not nearly as perfect of a match to the stock dash as reviews/descriptions make it seem. Color is spot on but it is smooth vs the textured finish of the dash. I also had to do a bit of sandpapering down on one of the rings before a gauge would fit in it. Overall... I'd give it a C+. But I'm very picky

If you are interested I'd be happy to grab a shot of what the 3 gauges and pod look like in my 05 for ya.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-10-17, 09:29 PM   #6
Flow Wulf
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

yeah id love to see a shot when you get a chance! & yeah I don't like the white but I could live with it, if it gave better results over the red racer series. Do you know if it does?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-10-17, 09:33 PM   #7
brapp

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I would not expect the accuracy of the gauges to be any different.

If datalogging is important to you, then it might be worth considering.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-10-17, 10:14 PM   #8
Cake Eater

Car: 15 STI
Fav Mod: All of them
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Cake Eater will become famous soon enough

I like oil pressure gauge, it will run high until the oil temp comes up and then levels out, I use this as a gauge that the engine is warm enough to lean on.

As for monitoring oil pressure and collant temp, I find idiot lights the best, a big (insert color here) bright light on the dash will be more visible than a little light on a gauge, if you lose oil presure you have 0.5 secondsto get of it, if you're lucky, if the temp light comes on its less of a nightmare and you have more time to react.

The only issue is if like me you set the light at a relatively high point, the light will be on until the revs bring the pressure up, I found this as a non issue, the safety value was worth it, and at least you know the globe works.

Plus they cost a pittance.

Longacre are what I've used, I'm surethere are other brands

Longacre GAGELITES™ Senders

My missus asked what the red light was for one day, I said "because race car", I think idiot was the term she used.

Seems to be alot of monitoring talk today
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-11-17, 05:58 AM   #9
Noximus
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: 2015 STI Steering Rack!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Noximus is a jewel in the roughNoximus is a jewel in the roughNoximus is a jewel in the roughNoximus is a jewel in the rough

I love my Podi gauges. I went Boost, AFR, Oil Temp, Oil Pres.

If I were to have decided to only have two gauges, I would have went AFR and Oil Pres. Boost is on the AP, and there are very nice mounting solutions for it now. Check out SMY Performance.

Old 03-11-17, 07:27 AM   #10
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: everything done so far
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubySal will become famous soon enoughSubySal will become famous soon enough

You'll find there are as many philosophies about gauges as there are what oil to use...

So here's mine. I started with SPA dual digital gauges. I like the idea of two functions in one space. So I installed Boost/EGT and Oil press/ temp. I limited myself to the two spaces using the Subtle Solutions gauge pod. I don't like gauges obstructing or cluttering my view so nothing up high or impeding the OE gauge cluster. Anyway these gauges annoyed me after a while. I knew digital gauges would be difficult to read quickly, but these had alarms and peak hold. The problem is the pressure readings were always high on the oil and boost. I had other issues as well I won't go into here.
Here's a pic...

So back to the drawing board. I knew I wanted to go back to analog gauges and still wanted only two spots. I got rid of boost because though it's fun to watch, functionally it's useless to me. If I need to check it I'll use my Accessport. And I realized when it came to oil pressure I care that it's working not what it is. In short I prefer warning lights for OP. I switched out the OE pressure switch for a higher-rated pressure switch. My engine is stock and I fortified the oiling system so I felt the OE warning light was enough. If I had a modified engine I'd use something like the Longacre set up.

This left EGT and oil temp. I also find oil temp to be the most important for the same reason Brapp mentioned. I want to make sure the oil is warm so I can push it on course. I like EGT because it can indicate if the engine is being pushed too hard or a lean run condition or if something is not right in general. I tried Perrin gauges this time around. There's not much info out there on them. I did what research I could then took a shot. They had the features I wanted, visual and audible alarms as well as peak recall and all without extra control boxes. So far I'm very happy with their performance, but they'll get their first real test at the Time Attack Sunday.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0