Other Tuning: Best Gauges *Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure, etc.* - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Best Gauges *Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure, etc.*
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Other Tuning: Best Gauges *Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure, etc.*
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 03-11-17, 09:12 AM   #11
brapp
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2005 STi
Fav Mod: going from GR -> GD
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

brapp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best Gauges *Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure, etc.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noximus View Post
I love my Podi gauges. I went Boost, AFR, Oil Temp, Oil Pres.

If I were to have decided to only have two gauges, I would have went AFR and Oil Pres. Boost is on the AP, and there are very nice mounting solutions for it now. Check out SMY Performance.

Are the Podi's beautiful?
I would've gotten some of those if I had kept my GR. The Defis match the GD cluster better though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubySal
You'll find there are as many philosophies about gauges as there are what oil to use...
Exactly. And it's one of those things where I don't know if anyone can say for sure what's best. More just what's best for you. I did a crazy amount of research to get different viewpoints before I got my gauges.

I do think on the GD though I like the clock pod the best for mounting. Easy to see and (on my 05 at least) the only thing it blocks is some of the view of the hood scoop I have gauges that need to be monitored at WOT and are constantly changing though (boost, AFR). So good to have those just a quick side glance away. I could see the lower mounting point for EGT and Oil Temp as those don't change quite as frequently.

Don't get A pillar gauges though. Driven a few cars with them and they are so annoying. At night, the top gauge is shining directly in your face from a couple feet away.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-11-17, 02:48 PM   #12
Noximus
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: 2015 STI Steering Rack!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Noximus is a jewel in the roughNoximus is a jewel in the roughNoximus is a jewel in the roughNoximus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brapp View Post
Are the Podi's beautiful?

I would've gotten some of those if I had kept my GR. The Defis match the GD cluster better though.

Yeah, they're very nice. They're red/orange and white needle to perfectly match the GR as you know. You just can't beat the price. It was a no brainer for me to get 4 gauges and a wideband at half the price.

My AP isn't mounted there anymore. It's in a SMY AP gauge mount that is in a Solid Mod driver side vent pod.

Like I said before, I would at the minimum get a Oil Pres gauge. Had Podi not been around at the right time, I was going for Defi or combination gauges. I've always wanted Oil Pres and Oil Temp. Pres is nice to let you know if something's up, and Temp to let you know when you're at operating temp. I would have probably found one I liked that had both. AFR is definitely a must. Boost is kind of useless now if you have a V3 AP and you always have it installed.

I only got my Fuel pressure gauge this year when I rebuilt and upgraded the entire fueling system, but it's mounted in the bay at the FPR. It's off to the right in the pic. I must have deleted the closeup from my phone.

Old 03-11-17, 05:22 PM   #13
Flow Wulf
Becoming A Contributor

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Flow Wulf is an unknown quantity at this point

would I want something like this? or dedicated gauges for each? AEM UEGO Failsafe Wideband AFRBoost Gauge | 30-4900 - Free Shipping
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-11-17, 06:24 PM   #14
Noximus
Silver Member

Fav Mod: 2015 STI Steering Rack!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Noximus is a jewel in the roughNoximus is a jewel in the roughNoximus is a jewel in the roughNoximus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow Wulf View Post
would I want something like this? or dedicated gauges for each? AEM UEGO Failsafe Wideband AFRBoost Gauge | 30-4900 - Free Shipping
Those are quite popular. There's also one for Oil Pres/Temp combined.

Old 03-11-17, 07:56 PM   #15
brapp

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noximus View Post
Looks nice!

Though I'm not quite sure what you mean on the price... I think I paid about the same for my Defi's as I would've paid for Podi's.

I'd personally take Oil Temp over Oil Pressure though if you only have one. I think it does an equally good job of alerting you to loss of oil. If you have lost a ton of oil, your temp is going to absolutely skyrocket. If I suddenly see 280-300 degrees I'm going to turn off the car.

I suppose if you had some issue where you were not losing oil but it was not getting pumped through the engine, I can see Oil Pressure saving you then. But as I understand it, the real concern is if you spring a crazy oil leak and start losing tons of oil.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-11-17, 08:49 PM   #16
Cake Eater
Advanced Contributor Level 2

Car: 15 STI
Fav Mod: All of them
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Cake Eater is on a distinguished road

Using a oil temp gauge to catch oil pressure drop will not be quick enough to avoid totally lunching you engine, oil pressure can go from good to catastrophic in less than a second.

I only use the gauge to monitor the oil pressure on start up and idle, when the pressure levels off it's time to lean on it, but at no point will the gauge be quick enough or visible enough in total loss of oil pressure.

When I lost oil pressure in the old 33 when it still had the RB25 I wasnt looking at the gauge, it was the big red light that came on that caught my eye thus saving completely lunching the motor, it still needed a rebuild but the motor was salvageable.

Anyways, from my experience, gauges are for monitoring and warning lights are for saving things from destruction.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-12-17, 10:08 AM   #17
brapp

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake Eater View Post
Using a oil temp gauge to catch oil pressure drop will not be quick enough to avoid totally lunching you engine, oil pressure can go from good to catastrophic in less than a second.

I only use the gauge to monitor the oil pressure on start up and idle, when the pressure levels off it's time to lean on it, but at no point will the gauge be quick enough or visible enough in total loss of oil pressure.

When I lost oil pressure in the old 33 when it still had the RB25 I wasnt looking at the gauge, it was the big red light that came on that caught my eye thus saving completely lunching the motor, it still needed a rebuild but the motor was salvageable.

Anyways, from my experience, gauges are for monitoring and warning lights are for saving things from destruction.
Makes sense. And following this I stand by my thought that Oil Temp is a more useful gauge than Oil Pressure
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-20-17, 03:05 PM   #18
imma_stocker
Silver Member

Car: Black w/red 08 STi
Fav Mod: more boost
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

imma_stocker is an unknown quantity at this point

Mix of autometer, AEM, Defi, and PLX here.

Really the reason I have Defi Red Racer in the STI are they match the factory gauge color almost exactly. PLX with modules allowed fitting less critical readings in a single gauge.

For any performance car: oil temp, oil pressure, water temp
For any turbo car: boost, EGT or AFR
For a performance turbo car: all of the above plus some depending on the setup
Likes 0 Dislikes 0