Do you ever accelerate in the midst of a turn and .... - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Go Back   STI Forums > IWSTI Lounge > General Subaru Discussion > Driving Tips & Techniques > Do you ever accelerate in the midst of a turn and ....
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 03-23-05, 01:56 PM   #1
Super Moderator
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: mo boostaz
My Subaru Parts for sale

WolfPlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Curious if others get this too. If you are in the middle of a turn and get on the gas does your STI seriously push to the outside of the turn? Just curious. Mine has always done this. If I am in the middle of a turn and I get on it then I NEED to turn the steering wheel at the same time in order to maintain my current direction. If I don't turn the wheel when I push the accelerator down then the car will immediately push to the outside.

Just curious. Any explanations? The best I could come up with was that when you hit the accelerator you get 65% to the rear wheels which causes the push?

t

WolfPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-05, 02:27 PM   #2
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

mike_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Re: RE: Also blacked out 04 steering wheel

Pushing to the outside of a turn would be understeer, which would come from weight transfer/front heavy car/undersized sway bars/too much power to the front wheels or anything else that would reduce grip to the front two wheels.

The STi and most AWD vehicles (hell, just about all production cars) understeer. The good news is that you can correct it with some minor mods and an alignment.
mike_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-05, 02:47 PM   #3
Advanced Mastery Level I

Fav Mod: Track Time
My Subaru Parts for sale

WE_R_ND is an unknown quantity at this point

If I get on the gas hard, no it doesn't do that. If you learn to be more aggressive with our throttle you will notice the car doesn't do it. I used to be the same way as you. Then one time I got pissed and just floored it. The car squated as the weight transferred to the rear and outside then just turned through the corner. If your light with your throttle input the car will understeer as described above. If your more agressive the weight transfer can actually benefit you.

PM me
WE_R_ND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-05, 02:48 PM   #4
Advanced Contributor Level 4

Car: Subaru
Fav Mod: N/A
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ParkerSTi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: RE: Re: 2004 STi vs. 1986 Lincoln Mk. VII

The only way I have gotten around this is to take some of the power from the back and put it up front with the DCCD.

And if you do a search this has been covered in other parts of the forum. (Just to keep you from getting reminded).

But I to would like to know if anyone has a "great" solution to this problem. I have read everywhere from different sway bars to pinks and top hats to ajustable struts. I'm not that price sensitive, but damn some of these options can run into thousands of dollars.

Any help...
ParkerSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-05, 03:22 PM   #5
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: Blue 2004 STi
Fav Mod: 2001 2.5RS Rally car...
My Subaru Parts for sale

Xman is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Xman Send a message via MSN to Xman Send a message via Yahoo to Xman

the technique WE R ND describes works better than any suspension change that I know of, the problem is that it is counter intuitive to most drivers (magazine writers especially). Also the 2005 front diff responds less dramatically than the 2004 to this aggressive input, so the reaction will not be as noticeable. The 2004 really tightens its line when you stomp the gas just before the apex. Coming from a 2002 WRX to a 2004 STi, I noticed that LESS steering input was required because the limited slip front diff was pulling the front of the car through the corner rather than being pushed and the rear wheels were inducing oversteer due to the active center diff doing its thing. I nearly clipped the curb just before the apex of quite a few turns until I got used to dialing in less lock and enjoying the amazing feeling you get from feeling the car work so well.

Suspension changes will make it less prone to understeering, but that is more costly than adapting to the excellent system that is just waiting for you to learn to use it to it's full potential.

Bottom line is to experiment with more aggressive pre-apex throttle application. the rally based heritage is designed for this style of driving and you will get the most out of the car if you treat it that way. It's also a LOT of fun to practice. just do it in a safe place, like a driving school or autoX.

Learn more about rally here!!!!!!

Everyone NEEDS to watch this flash

Best NASIOC thread ever!

Heel & Toe does NOT mean literally using your heel and toe!!

Mod the driver, the return on investment is much higher.
Xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-05, 03:49 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Car: 08 DGM STI
Fav Mod: My wife :)
My Subaru Parts for sale

Digitalfiend is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 18" rims

As Xman said, I've noticed that being more aggressive with the throttle really gets you tucked in nicely and it just rockets out of a corner (makes getting on on-ramps very fun. )
Mods: Stage 1 94 Custom tune | Kartboy f/r shifter & TiC pivot bushings | StopTech SS brakelines | Whiteline 24mm adj. front and 22mm adj. rear swaybars & front brace | RCE springs | Cosworth oil control baffle | STI competition engine & tranny mounts | NGK 1-step colder plugs | Group-A pitchstop mount & front/rear endlinks | MadDad EL header

2009 DGM WRX265 (wife's car)
SOLD - 2005 Aspen White STi
Digitalfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-05, 05:05 PM   #7
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: 05 STi + 08 RS4
My Subaru Parts for sale

Datadatum is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, with my '05, I can correct my turn-in angle very easily with the throttle. I am partial to coming in fast, and if I slightly overcook, a little throttle corrects my initial error nicely.
Datadatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-05, 06:25 PM   #8
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Fav Mod: Software Engineer
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

t00h0t is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to t00h0t

You need to be on the gas as soon as you turn in. Sounds like you are going in too fast and then when you get on the gas the car pushes. Try going in slower and getting on the gas when you turn in. You'll be able to exit MUCH faster and your steering input wont change half way through the turn.
t00h0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-05, 07:08 PM   #9
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: Silver 04 WRX STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

SAMMYBOY is an unknown quantity at this point

Try installing a rear-end sway bar. I just installed it not too long ago and I wished I have done it long time ago.
It should take care of the annoying understeer problem.
Old 03-23-05, 09:59 PM   #10
Becoming An Advanced Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

jaylw314 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think what people are trying to describe is weight transfer and static/sliding friction...

WARNING--GEEK ALERT!!!--WARNING

There are two factors that determine whether the car understeers or oversteers. There is the weight transfer issue--if the car is under braking, the weight shifts away from the rear wheels and the car oversteers. If the car is accelerating, the weight shifts away from the front, and the car oversteers.

The problem is, the weight transfer also puts more frictional load on the respective tires, e.g. while in a braking turn, the front wheels have to do more of the work stopping the car, and if you ask too much of them, they lock up. Sliding friction is less than rolling friction, so all of a sudden, the FRONT wheels have less traction and you're back to understeer.

Likewise, if you stomp on the gas and you break away the rear wheels, the car will be begin to oversteer.

So in short:

Braking very hard (with tires skidding) - understeer
Braking hard - oversteer
Accelerating hard - understeer
Accelerating very hard (with tires skidding) - oversteer

GEEK ALERT OVER!
jaylw314 is offline   Reply With Quote