IW STi Forum banner

Do you ever accelerate in the midst of a turn and ....

14K views 61 replies 46 participants last post by  Major Anarchy 
#1 ·
Curious if others get this too. If you are in the middle of a turn and get on the gas does your STI seriously push to the outside of the turn? Just curious. Mine has always done this. If I am in the middle of a turn and I get on it then I NEED to turn the steering wheel at the same time in order to maintain my current direction. If I don't turn the wheel when I push the accelerator down then the car will immediately push to the outside.

Just curious. Any explanations? The best I could come up with was that when you hit the accelerator you get 65% to the rear wheels which causes the push?

t

#53 ·
I'm a little late to the party, but here's my take on the torque steer issue from my experience as an engineer working on a prototype diff and with the family that designed the original torsen type 1 (there a little biased against the changes made over time to it after they sold it, as well as the torsen type 2)

with the GR chassis, we have parallel axis diffs front and rear (torsen 2, quaife, etc. their all the same basically) which work by shoving the balance gears which connect the 2 axles into the diff housing to prevent one from spinning faster then the other to prevent wheel slip. the drawback is that while cornering and applying the throttle, it tries to lock up in the same way, preventing differentiation, causing the car to push. while off the throttle the diff is free to differentiate.

I've done a crude test on the rear diff in the GR and its a 2.5:1 bias ratio roughly. the harder to hit the gas, the more locked up it becomes (to a point) so this becomes the necessary traction difference between the axles where the differential can no longer prevent the axles from running at different speeds relative to each other.

#55 ·
i just went through all 6 pages and am trying to wrap my head around this. their is this turn by my house which the speed is posted at 45 but i have noticed if i enter the turn at 45 in 5th and floor it and hold the pedel down my exit speed is 90. is that what you guys are talking about. because their has to be that fine line with "pinning it to win it" and ending up in the trees at speed. as in is 45 mph floored in 5 i assume is not aggressive. so what about 45 in 4 floored. do you guys understand what i am talking about. i want to know where is the line between bravery, and stupidity.

#57 · (Edited)
IMO it's in the eye of the beholder. some are comfortable at 60 degrees sideways mid turn, some would rather understeer. I think it really depends on you're behind the wheel expierence and what "you" think is drawing the line.

#60 ·
what scares me the most is if you enter a turn a bit too quick, the car will just continue in the same direction, even though it behaves pretty neutral / slight oversteer if i'm accelerating while already in the turn.

ive had it happen few times at autox, and it really makes me back off on the street until im already in the turn.

#62 ·
what scares me the most is if you enter a turn a bit too quick, the car will just continue in the same direction, even though it behaves pretty neutral / slight oversteer if i'm accelerating while already in the turn.

ive had it happen few times at autox, and it really makes me back off on the street until im already in the turn.[/QUOTE

I forget the name of the famous Formula 1 racer who said it best;
When getting into the turns,''Go in slow and come out fast,Go in fast & come out dead!''

#61 ·
The ALK solves a majority of the abruptness of this effect.

Driving technique is a workaround for the rest. The fact that car has 3 differentials keeps it from wanting to turn under part throttle. Light throttle application will start locking the diffs and the car will want to go straight. Full throttle (in the right gear) will allow the diffs to lock and then overpower the inside tires. The car will want to turn more easily at this point because the inside tires are slipping. Although the inside tires are slipping, the outsides are still receiving torque due to the locking effect of the diffs.

In order to drive these cars quickly, you need to be aggressive on the throttle or else the diff lockup will make the car want to push. What I have found works best for me is to start the car turning under braking, go to maintenance throttle briefly during turn in, then quickly go to full throttle. The quicker you get to full throttle, the more the car will want to turn (as long as you aren't over the limit). Choose your line to allow this. You need to break the inside tires loose for the car to turn the best- Essentially drifting around the track.

As I like to do: Pitch it in sideways and let the diffs sort it out!

Keep in mind that I am more comfortable in an oversteer situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.