Power steering problem @ auto-x--looses assist... - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Power steering problem @ auto-x--looses assist...
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Power steering problem @ auto-x--looses assist...
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 03-11-09, 02:50 AM   #31
Lutfy
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Silver 04 WRX STi
Fav Mod: Stage 2
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Lutfy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Power steering problem @ auto-x--looses assist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEye View Post
No need to overfill, just fill to the max for the appropriate temperature. Most likely caused by low level of fluid. All it takes is a little bit of weight shifting, which in turn sloshes the PS fluid around. Then in goes the air bubbles, then you loose PS!
Well bringing it up from the dead. The fluid lasts me 2-3 months at best (I believe ATF is hydroscopic as well?). Anyways, I am burning the crap out of my oil (partially because of the freaking Dubai heat). That said, I did do a search for oil coolers. Anyone has a kit tested out? If so, care to share the part/source?

Thanks in advance.

Lutfy

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-19-17, 06:17 AM   #32
Scargo
Gold Member

Fav Mod: Driver lobotomy
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Scargo is on a distinguished road

I am having a loss of power steering when the fluid gets hot (I am assuming fluid heating is the trigger).
This is a track car and it has a PS cooler exposed to the air. After a few laps the PS goes away. Happened in three successive sessions. Once cool it works again for a while.
I am using new Redline PS fluid. AN lines and fittings are new for this season. Car did not have a problem last season. The reservoir is an aluminum aftermarket version. No visible signs of bubbles or foaming and car is fine during normal street driving. No visible leaks. Fluid is not overfilled/it is at normal height. Thompson course is fairly tight. Could air be getting in? Pump shot or rack shot but work when cool?

Old 05-19-17, 06:49 AM   #33
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: everything done so far
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubySal will become famous soon enoughSubySal will become famous soon enough

I would lose p/s in my 2004 2.5RS when going through a slalom. It was annoying. I believe the cause is the Redline ATF I was using. Get rid of it. Flush the system with Subaru synthetic. I know that seems odd, but if I were you that's what I would do. I have no issues with the power steering in my STI using Subaru synthetic. It's a stock system. Last year I did a Time Attack event where ambient temp was 113F. The car would not launch because it kept pulling timing, but the p/s worked fine. I also did a track day that toasted my brake pads, but again p/s was flawless. I'm in my fourth season of racing on that fluid and still it works just fine. I would also make sure the p/s belt in in good condition and tensioned properly.

Additionally a friend of mine was having this issue last year in his 2005 STI. I said you're using Redline ATF. He said yes. I told him the same thing. I haven't asked since, but he hasn't complained about it anymore so I figure he changed it out. I will swear by Redline motor oil all day long, but aside from brakes I stick to OE fluids in all my vehicles.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-19-17, 08:03 AM   #34
Scargo
Gold Member

Fav Mod: Driver lobotomy
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Scargo is on a distinguished road

I am glad that worked for you but I am skeptical. Here's the thing: I lied. It's a good friend that is having the issue. Similar car/setup. My track car with a cooler and Red Line D4 ATF has not had an issue. Same day, on the same track. While I see that Red Line does make a power steering fluid, it's not what I used. I think my buddy used the same as me but I cannot verify that at this moment. I think I saw a D4 bottle in his shop...
I am however, now suspicious about the level of fluid in his reservoir. I mean, this is an experienced track guy and instructor. However, I did see the level was 1/2" below the baffle plate in the reservoir and under hard cornering it might have sucked air. He said the level was OK.

Update: Spoke to Red Line. Neither D4, D6 or their "Power Steering fluid" (in the white bottle) are hygroscopic so they cannot create gas when hot (like in brake fade). He recommended the D4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubySal View Post
I would lose p/s in my 2004 2.5RS when going through a slalom. It was annoying. I believe the cause is the Redline ATF I was using. Get rid of it. Flush the system with Subaru synthetic. I know that seems odd, but if I were you that's what I would do. I have no issues with the power steering in my STI using Subaru synthetic. It's a stock system. Last year I did a Time Attack event where ambient temp was 113F. The car would not launch because it kept pulling timing, but the p/s worked fine. I also did a track day that toasted my brake pads, but again p/s was flawless. I'm in my fourth season of racing on that fluid and still it works just fine. I would also make sure the p/s belt in in good condition and tensioned properly.

Additionally a friend of mine was having this issue last year in his 2005 STI. I said you're using Redline ATF. He said yes. I told him the same thing. I haven't asked since, but he hasn't complained about it anymore so I figure he changed it out. I will swear by Redline motor oil all day long, but aside from brakes I stick to OE fluids in all my vehicles.

Last edited by Scargo; 05-19-17 at 10:58 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0