IW STi Forum banner

Pics of the inside of my trans. UPDATE 3/7/12

14K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  got2boostit2 
#1 · (Edited)
If you ever wondered what the inside of your six speed looks like then you're in luck. I had my girlfriend take these as I tore down my six speed to replace the clutch housing, or bell housing for all you domestic guys. Enjoy.

Looks like I've been doing a little gear grinding

All of this was done because or this

Subaru I hate you for using a pull type clutch.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Re: Pics of the inside of my trans.

Cool pictures :D

It's really neat to compare with another transmission I took apart.

A friend of mine went to drag his heavily modified '98 Nissan Maxima SE. For the last run of the night, he let his pro-drivin' mechanic take it for a spin (like he has done countless times before). All through the night, the transmission was starting to act a little funny. On the last run (even though he made it all the way to the end of the run and home later), second gear was completely destroyed, and first gear was hard as hell to select. A week later, I took his transmission apart. It was war zone of gear teeth clumped together in some kind of pasty protective goop (anyone know what that is?).

TL:DR... I dismantled a destroyed Nissan Maxima tranny. Its cool to compare :D

#4 ·

Cool pics, just out of curiosity what clutch were you running?
Stock. The reason the holders on the release pin broke is that the plug holding the pin in the trans backed out. That allowed the release pin to back out far enough that it was only held on one side and broke one holder. When I found the pin had backed out I put it back in and pushed the clutch, thus breaking the other holder. It was hard to see what was going on without pulling the trans off the car, but once it was off it was obvious what had happened. However, it all could have been avoided if subaru used a push style clutch on the 6mt :lol:

#5 ·

Awesome pics!

#8 ·

So decided while I had this apart I would do the impossible and drop in the JDM 5th and 6th gears. I was told it couldn't be done by anyone other than god and subaru techs. Well I beg to differ.

Here's some pics a friend took while I pressed the old gears off and the new ones on, in no particular order.

and no, the pipe wrench was not used it just happened to have already been on the workbench.

#14 ·

So Pitcherman, how many miles on the transmission since the rebuild?

#15 ·

So Pitcherman, how many miles on the transmission since the rebuild?
0, I'm still waiting on one bearing that I found that was trashed to come in. As it sits now the front diff is in the new clutch housing, along with the speedo sensor and all the new seals. I've set the lash on the front diff and now I'm just waiting. Once the bearing comes in I can put the gearset back on the adapter plate and get the rest of the case assembled. I'll keep updating as it goes.

#17 ·

Wow I always like to see such pics have you opened all the things by your self. or you were in a auto repair shop.
Did it all myself, I went to a buddies hotrod shop to press the JDM gears on but that was it, the rest was done by me in my garage.

To update the thread, I finished getting the car together tonight and took it out for a spin. Initial impressions on the gears was; why the hell did I not do this sooner. RPM's at 70mph seam to have increased by about 400, however the gap between 4th and 5th is gone.... completely.

As for the clutch, it's a ACT sprung 6 puck with a prolight flywheel and heavy duty pressure plate . Driving with it has just reaffirmed my belief that people on the internet just talk out of their *** for the most part. It's not hard to drive, doesn't shudder when taking off, hasn't thrown a CEL, and isn't noisy sitting at a light. The car is definitely more responsive with the flywheel, and downshifting is a breeze. I'll update more once I have some good solid miles on the transmission.

#18 ·

Awesome pics man. Glad you got it all back together. Looks like a mess of gears if you ask me :lol:. I'm running the same clutch setup on my Evo and so far I really love it. Its a little grabby, but not horrible. Enjoy the new gear ratios!

#29 ·
Just a little update for those 04 through 06 guys considering JDM 5th and 6th gearing. I have about 700 miles on the trans since I finished getting it back together. With the tire size I'm running (245,40,18) I still have a top speed of 163. The tires are .75" taller than stock so with stock tires I would be gear limited to 158mph. Now as far a mpg's go I haven't really noticed a difference. I took a 130 mile trip where I averaged 27mpg at 70mph according to my AP. That was with a bit of a tail wind, other shorter trips of aobut 25 miles I have averaged 24mpg at 70mph. I should mention that at 70mph with these tires I am at 2900 rpm. If I was on stock tires I would be right at 3000rpm. In town mpg have actually increased from 16 to about 18mpg. My only guess is that the rpms in 5th gear put the engine closer to it's volumetric efficiency range while cruising around town.

As far as the prolite flywheel and six puck clutch, I have still had 0 problems. The car seems just as drivable as it was with the stock clutch. I can feel the engagement point of the new clutch much better that I could with the stock clutch. It does engage faster and with the lighter flywheel there is less room for error when starting from a stop. My guess is all the people that claim to have problems with a set up like this are just lazy in their shifting technique. I can't be sure if the flywheel had any effect on mpg as I did it at the same time as the gears, but I would guess that it didn't hurt.

#31 ·
I've got a question, why not use 3rd and 4th gears from the usdm 07 and up sti since those two are longer and on the track you'd never have to switch to 5th past 99mph you'd be able to keep going to almost 120 mph on 4th gear. That's what I wanna do what would I need to switch out exactly if I wanted to do that?

#32 ·
Short answer, because I don't drag race the car and have no need to do 120 in 4th.

Presumably all you would need would be a set of drive and driven 3rd and 4th gears from the 07 transmission. I would contact a company like rally spec though and make sure that you're not going to run into the issue of different size keyways for the the gear sets. Subaru makes minor internal changes from time to time and guys that dive into these things on a regular basis would have better info than me.

Also for anyone interested, this transmission is still going strong 4 years later. It's about time for a new clutch though and I may redo the front diff lash since I have better tools to check it now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.