IW STi Forum banner

VDC, DCCD, and SI-DRIVE Explained! (Great Info)

206K views 123 replies 67 participants last post by  subaruracing92 
#1 · (Edited)
HOW WOULD YOU LIKE YOUR DRIVE TODAY?

What’s the lay of the land?

What kind of weather are you having?

What’s traffic like out there?

Confused as to which of the WRX STI SI-DRIVE, DCCD, and VDC settings to use?

I came across this on the web and thought I would post it here as it explains the VDC, DCCD, and SI-Drive. This is everything you need to know about the VDC, DCCD, and SI-Drive.

I think anyone who has an '08 STi needs to read this as this explains all of these 'gadgets' pretty well. It also shows you when you should switch each on and what setting it should be at.

For your convenience I saved the web pages as images and will post all the information on here.

Here are the original links where I got the information from if you prefer going to the website instead:

BLUEPRINT: TAILORING THE STI – VDC, DCCD, AND SI-DRIVE

DCCD - DRIVER CONTROLLED CENTER DIFFERENTIAL

SUBARU INTELLIGENT DRIVE (SI-DRIVE)

YouTube - Subaru Impreza STI '08 JDM and DCCD use

See less See more
#7 ·
Am I crazy, or is their description the "green" VDC mode wrong? I believe it is stability without traction, rather than the other way around. When I'm in green mode I don't get the car occasionally limiting my revs during 2nd gear pulls like I do with everything on. Surely that's a function of the traction control and not stability?

#20 ·
VCCD on Auto and I Drive is my guess. Haven't owned the car long enough to give personal advice though. Man...this car is smarter than I thought. That drive article was good though. For once they have a good article in there, instead of the normal, "great picnics to take with your dog in your Baja".

thanks for the links and stuff.

#22 ·
I didn't even notice this thread before but it should definitely be a sticky, so I'm going to make it stick. :)

#23 ·
well, the article's explanation of DCCD is pretty horrible....

The DCCD in [-], or with the minimum # of bars allowed, fixes the torque split at 41/59, essentially, while allowing the front to rotate at a speed which is independent of the rotational speed of the rears. Like the article says, this is good for spirited driving on high traction surfaces, good for tight turns (like, oh, doughnuts for example :) ). Bad for driving out of a ditch.

The DCCD in [+], or in LOCK, essentially fixes the fronts and rears such that they must rotate at the same speed, essentially, allowing the torque split to be as much as 100/0 if the fronts are on tarmac and the rears are on ice, for example. Like the article says, this is good for slippery surfaces. Bad for canyon carving.

If left in AUTO, under normal driving conditions, the car will just default to OPEN ( [-] or minimum # of bars) if you're turning, and LOCK if you're driving in a straight line. Manually putting it in OPEN is going to be better for mpg, as well as benefiting drivetrain longevity.
What is best for racing is debatable.

OK, now someone else elaborate on the SI-Drive and VDC portions of the article...ha...

#24 ·
It seems the DCCD info is actually referring to the '05 setup.

#27 ·
Quick question about the SI drive while driving...

This may sound VERY newbie, but am I supposed to be able to change the SI drive mode (S to S#, I to S#, etc) during actual driving? I thought it was supposed to be locked out while the car was in gear/moving, and only adjustable when in neutral or stopped.

#28 ·
Yes, that is the point of SI drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.