GR- Paint the interior of your tail lights - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Go Back   STI Forums > IWSTI Lounge > DIY Mods & Installations > GR- Paint the interior of your tail lights
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.
Like Tree1Likes

Old 09-19-10, 01:27 PM   #1
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 09 LR STI sold
Fav Mod: multi piece piston rings throught engine
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

SLC:STI is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GR- Paint the interior of your tail lights

Alright this is my first post so its going to get sketchy.
Last weekend i got pulled over and was given a ticket for having a cover on my license plate, window tint and last but not least having my tail lights tinted. The tint on my tails was just so so anyway so i decided to take it off and paint the inside chrome piece of the light satin black.
(all these pics are from a blackberry so please forgive the poor quality.)

I took a Dremel with a diamond wheel bit on it. If you use the regular cutting wheels they wear out very fast and made a wider cut.

It also took more paint then i was expecting, i had to run and grab another can. So just grab two from the beginning.

The first lights i did were the reverse lights. They were very straight forward and only have two pieces to them. This is cut line i took to remove the inner piece from the clear lens.

You have to follow a line just inside where the two pieces are melted together in order for the pieces to come apart cleanly. I left this much gap all the way around the edge of the light. Here you can also see that when you cut through the grey backing you see though the clear plastic of the lens.

Here is the piece i cut out as i sprayed with Krylon Fusion semi gloss black

While i let that dry i took the tail light and found what i thought would be the best line to separate the pieces in. I also removed the little wiring harness. All the sockets just half twist out and there is one screw with a washer on it holding the end harness plug in place. (sorry no photo)
I forgot to take picture of the lines i drew on but here are a few with it cut

These are with the clear lens removed
Top/inside

Bottom

Here i went a little too deep on my cut, i got very lucky it just nicked the inner chrome piece. If it had gone any further i would have cut through so it would be visible from the outside.

This is the lens once it was removed just in case it is easier for you to see the cut lines i took.

Here are the three pieces the tail light is made of. The LED "plate" if you will is just attached with four screws. You can just pinch the rubber grommet and push it through the backing to remove the LED plate when the screws are removed.

Random shot of the back piece

Finally after all that, here is the piece i have been after the whole time

Okay so after taking this entire thing apart i could not find a way to get the red reflector off the chromed piece. I tried a little heat and gently prying, pushing on the little tab that is on the back side and nothing. I accidentally made some little stress cracks along the back edge from messing with it so i just said F it and masked over it.

I didnt get any pics of it being painted but it took a ton of coats with all the different depths and angles of the surface. It took me a can and a half of the krylon to do all four pieces.

Going back together was just reverse of taking apart, simple enough.

I chose to do two things to reseal the pieces together just to cover my bases. First i took Loctite Pro strength Epoxy. It is clear so you have to look close to see it in these pics.

Sorry this one is blurry

Then because i am paranoid and i do not want any moisture in the light i took a tube of Permatex ultra black silicone. I chose the black because the epoxy dries clear so if there are any gaps visible it will hide them and blend with the black i just painted.

I put it on liberally so it looks a bit messy. It wont be seen so im not too worried.

and the finished product

The car is a little dirty but i think the light are a huge improvement from the chrome and white they were before. They also look different from the overlays which is nice. The overlays look good but are way popular around here now.

So i have been through two rain storms, one heavy one just a light mist and a car wash with no moisture or water leaking in.
GREAT SUCCESS!!

If any one has questions feel free to contact me and i will answer them the best i can.

Also i would love for yous to help me out and give me some advice on the thread and let me know of any mistakes i have made. General advice is appreciated as well.

Thanks guys, keep on rock'n

I wasn't really sure how to get these to turn out clearer but here are some night shots
Tail and turn signal

Just the tail

Brake Lights

Last edited by SLC:STI; 09-26-10 at 06:17 PM.
SLC:STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-10, 03:16 PM   #2
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

thirtyANDseven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: GR- Paint the interior of your tail lights

Damn man, that looks great. You did a good job on the write up too. 5 Stars.
thirtyANDseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-10, 03:20 PM   #3
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Fav Mod: Race Engine Machining Education
My Subaru Parts for sale

Fujiwara is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fujiwara

Awesome! I've been wanting to do this myself! Think I might paint a bit more than you did since I have an OBP
Fujiwara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-10, 03:51 PM   #4
Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 07 STi
Fav Mod: AP
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

genome is on a distinguished road

Looks unique +1 to you for having the balls to cut open you tails.
genome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-10, 04:50 PM   #5
Developing Advanced Mastery

Fav Mod: Grocery bag hooks/I drive
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

noob2sti is an unknown quantity at this point

The lights look awesome. I have been thinking about that for awhile just don't have the guts to do it.
noob2sti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-10, 06:44 PM   #6
Contributor

Car: 09 Sti Spark Silver
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

jay85 is an unknown quantity at this point

That actually looks good, lets some some night pics please.
jay85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-10, 11:38 AM   #7
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 09 LR STI sold
Fav Mod: multi piece piston rings throught engine
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

SLC:STI is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks fellas. I was nervous that the flat 4 community may not appreciate me messing with the stock tails since i know how much everyone loves them. (just a bit of sarcasm there)

I did make one small mistake just a heads up incase anyone wants to try them selves. I got everything ready even had the lights removed and i decided to look up the price to replace them if i messed up. Totally psyched my selfout made the first cut 100x harder. If you want to do it go for it. Just go slow, becareful and it will turnout sick.

I will try and get some night pics asap.

Last edited by SLC:STI; 09-20-10 at 09:51 PM.
SLC:STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-10, 11:51 AM   #8
Developing Advanced Mastery

Fav Mod: Grocery bag hooks/I drive
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

noob2sti is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the majority of us hate the stock tails. I don't mind them, but I am looking for alternatives.
noob2sti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 02:19 PM   #9

My Subaru Parts for sale

Painted mine today. Waiting on them to dry as I post this. I took a different cut line on the top, and also masked off the front so I could try to get the plastic overhang painted. The white edges wouldn't look so good on my car. Didn't have a spare set of the small triangle shaped pieces laying around, so only the large pieces were done today. Figured out how to get the reflectors out, a good whack on the visible part on the backside of the chrome piece did the job. I'll put some pics up when I can so you can see the difference.
Old 09-26-10, 02:54 PM   #10

My Subaru Parts for sale

Wirelessly posted

Pics are on my flickr page, but these ones won't be going on the car. Epic fail on one, and the other doesn't meet qaqc for me.