IW STi Forum banner

Stock Intake Silencer Delete (pics)

303K views 461 replies 198 participants last post by  bourmb 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
ok, so today i decided to remove the silencer that feeds the stock airbox. most of you know what it is, yada yada yada. :)

but anyways, im happy with the result. you can really hear the turbo spool up nicely, and than the bypass valve. for a 10-20 minute process, its worth it. :tup: we also did this with my friends MY05 WRX, and a cousins bugeye. it worked as well.

ok, heres what to do!

first off, i would recomend removing the wheel (passanger front). i had it all unbolted, but it wouldent fit out! even with the wheel turned. so i removed the wheel. save some time, and its less strain on the wheel well liner. leave the passanger front up on the jack.

next off, you remove the clip on the liner, the one that is to the top. (somewhere around 1-o-clock, you could say) than, start taking the liner out/off of the fender, take your time and it wont rip. push the liner back with little stress, far enough that you can fit your hand in to reach the bolts. be careful with older cars, because the plastic can be weatherd and more prone to ripping.

PICS #1 & #2

ok, so now you have the liner pulled back, and you can see the large obnoxious piece that you want to remove. (can be white OR black)
grab a 10mm ratchet, and get an extended piece, so it can reach back. (the bolts are tricky to reach / find, reach in and find them with your hand first, that guide your ratchet in.)
it will take some precision ratcheting, but once they are loosened up, its not bad. they arent too tight to begin with.

** you can unbolt the top one from inside the engine bay**

since locating the 2 10mm bolts can be confusing, heres a general idea of there locations:

PIC #3

ok, now you have it unbolted! nice :naughty:
it will take a good amount of fidgeting to get the piece off the screws, and off the top near the airbox. wiggle it free until it drops down.
once the piece is all freed up, you have to coarse it out. make sure the liner is pulled back, and rotate the piece around until it comes out. its alot bigger than youd think! :lol:

ok awesome, now its out! replace the liner carefully and get that clip back in place.

PIC #4

now, put your wheel back on, lower it off the jack, and BAM, there ya go!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

now that you have the piece in your hand, you can modify it!
im going to try this, and see if you can still hear the noise. it seems like it will work the same, if not better. you can saw off the big box part at the bottom, and reattach the top. i havent reattached mine yet, but i did the sawing. ill keep you updated on this part, heres a picture of the "modified" one.

PIC #5

:tup:

well, i hope this helped. any questions, you can ask on this thread, and they will most likely be answered! thanks :lol:

Attachments

See less See more
#249 ·
Re: How To: Stock Intake Silencer Delete (pics)

Did it on my 04 last night. Didn't notice any difference, except that there's a big, goofy- ass, snorkel-looking think in my garage now. :lol:
Actually, the biggest improvement is that it bought me a LOT of room under the hood in that area.....as tight as cars are packed under the hood these days - that's gotta be a bonus!

#250 ·

Just FYI. I originally had the entire elbow removed from the fender well allow the airbox to suck directly from the wheel well. Today I decided to just cut off the tumor part leaving the elbow hole open and put it back in and reinstalled the front ram air intake.

The results:

No elbow at all created a louder sound, but was somewhat raspy sounding.

With the elbow installed with the cut off hole open the sound was almost just as loud and it sounded smoother (no raspy turbulent sounding).

I feel better with the elbow in since it allows air to be forced in to the wheel well from the front ram air intake. And it produces a smoother sound.

#252 ·

I just did it to my 08. They have made it a lot easier. Take the right wheel off and then start taking inner fender well off. The silencer is only held in by one screw. Once that is off, starting twisting it off. There is no elbow or anything, just the can. Very easy!!

#295 ·

I just did it to my 08. They have made it a lot easier. Take the right wheel off and then start taking inner fender well off. The silencer is only held in by one screw. Once that is off, starting twisting it off. There is no elbow or anything, just the can. Very easy!!
Super easy! just did my 08 in about 20 minutes. The one "screw" is a white philips head clip. Clocked the silencer and it came right out. I'm off for a drive. I will give my results. Cheers.

#254 ·

:rolleyes:
Why do people call this a "silencer"..? When it's function is as a ballast?

Do people even know what they are doing? Or are people just wondering why it's louder when removed, thus calling it a "silencer" when still on the car...?

This whole thread is insane!

#255 ·

Just got done doing the mod (cut the tumor off duct tape the whole and put the elbow back in), and I'm pretty disappointed.

Car Specs - 2007 STi Stage 2, HKS TBE, Cobb springs, Cobb AP v2, Stock intake silencer delete w/ stock drop in.

Result - Not drastically louder, I can only hear it when I have my windows up because my exhaust is loud when my windows are down. Stock blow off valve has a very very soft sound, not at all what other people say as loud as it would be.

Conclusion - I will see if I can pick up a used K&N filter because paying $55 + tax at Shucks here in WA is too much. Any suggestions of a local place where I can get it cheaper?

Thanks

#257 ·

UPDATE::: Installed a brand new drop in K&N filter and still no difference in sound. :( Returning it to Schucks, looks like in order to get the sound that I want I have to get a CAI.

Just got done doing the mod (cut the tumor off duct tape the whole and put the elbow back in), and I'm pretty disappointed.

Car Specs - 2007 STi Stage 2, HKS TBE, Cobb springs, Cobb AP v2, Stock intake silencer delete w/ stock drop in.

Result - Not drastically louder, I can only hear it when I have my windows up because my exhaust is loud when my windows are down. Stock blow off valve has a very very soft sound, not at all what other people say as loud as it would be.

Conclusion - I will see if I can pick up a used K&N filter because paying $55 + tax at Shucks here in WA is too much. Any suggestions of a local place where I can get it cheaper?

Thanks

#256 ·

my car didn't seem slower - the only time it seemed slower was when i installed my cobb a.p. 2.0 - - - freaking wierd. maybe the car had a map installed before i got it (used) and it wasn't removed. anyways...i'm still running very low 13's in the 1/4 so it's all good. plus - that turbo sounds like SEX!

#269 · (Edited)

Im not sure if it has been mentioned but, yesterday i spent the whole damn day trying to get to that lower bolt, and i found a way that makes the whole thing SO much easier. If you take off the fog light cover, the bolt is right there.............wish that would have been included in the instructions, i even started removing the bumper to try and get a better angle. I implore you, add this detail in the original instructions. It REALLY makes things much much easier.

Here it is, i took the pic after i did it because im dumb, but the bolt goes right there in the left corner, that little blue support hanging down

BTW, I think im the first guy to do this, but i ported the snorkus:lol: I just took a dremel and ported all of the intake points to smooth the airflow.(You can also use a knife and sand paper get the "edge" off and to port, thats how i started till i found the dremel.) I am pretty confident that this will improve airflow, whether enough to make a noticeable difference is the question:D

I didnt quite get it this nice....but just to give you and idea, i think im going to port it more tomorrow when i take it out (again, *sigh*) to put some sort of filter there

#270 · (Edited)

For those who cant notice a difference in sound, it might be because you didnt make the hole big enough on the bottom... Also i am fairly positive that this mod will accelerate the need to replace the air filter. I think im going to make a filter for the hole. Im thinkin a bounty paper towel (not every restrictive but still offers a lot of filtration) over the hole and duct taped. IMO i think it will help keeping the filter from getting dirtier faster than it normally would. Also i think it will help redirect the air coming from the front snorkus scoop ;)

#271 ·
Sorry to bump this thread again but i did this mod a while back and notice a howling/whistling sound between 65-67mph. It only happens when i coast or when i'm only on the gas a little. If i'm on the gas hard, there is no sound. I'm thinking that this has something to do with the intake. Anyone else experience this?

#276 ·
actually no you dont. If you turn it all the way left there is room to get to the inner fender well liner. It is easier to take it off for more room but not absolute.

#283 ·
I wouldnt go with a K&N, personally that is. IMO they just dont make good products, and they are a crap company that sell because they work and ppl fall for marketing gimmicks that they put out there. Ive used their stuff before, got LOTS of filters with small holes in them and bubbles in the seal. If you get a CAI that goes into the wheel well your are going to need to remove the intake silencer assembly completely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.