What can $20,000 do for a 2011 sti with shot engine? - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
What can ,000 do for a 2011 sti with shot engine?
Go Back   STI Forums > > > What can $20,000 do for a 2011 sti with shot engine?
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 05-19-17, 03:24 AM   #11
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What can $20,000 do for a 2011 sti with shot engine?

I think its really important to set a goal when building. The 20K is just your budget and should not be goal. I would recommend an IAG built block for any type of build nowadays. When doing builds likes this, i would recommend having 1 shop remove, assembly, install, and tune the car. Less finger pointing down the road.

There is also a thread on here call "how much did you spend". It will give you an idea as to how much some guys have spent on their builds.

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 05-19-17, 03:29 AM   #12
lidrew
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 2011 DGM Sedan
Fav Mod: Brake Dust
My Subaru Parts for sale

lidrew will become famous soon enough

I have an 11 pretty much maxed out on stock turbo E85. If things take a turn for the worse with motor at any point, I would do an IAG block. They seem highly recommended in recent years, have different stage blocks good reliability and my shop uses them a lot. I would do a IAG street block , Dom 1.5, TMIC, bigger injectors and clutch on E85 or flex set up and probably be around $10k-12k.

Old 05-19-17, 03:33 AM   #13
b18c5rjdm
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

b18c5rjdm is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadayadayada28@gmail View Post
Any suggestion on build reguarding the long block?
Yeah, Roger Clark Motorsports.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-19-17, 04:38 AM   #14
mheyman
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Nomal wear & tear
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a jewel in the roughmheyman is a jewel in the roughmheyman is a jewel in the roughmheyman is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Purple STi View Post
Are you doing the labor or paying someone to do it?
I will be paying for labor. Dont have the time to do it myself. Id love to to do it myself but i do trust my friend to do a great job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay11STI View Post
I think its really important to set a goal when building. The 20K is just your budget and should not be goal. I would recommend an IAG built block for any type of build nowadays. When doing builds likes this, i would recommend having 1 shop remove, assembly, install, and tune the car. Less finger pointing down the road.

There is also a thread on here call "how much did you spend". It will give you an idea as to how much some guys have spent on their builds.
Trust isn't the issue. It's what happens when it all goes wrong - and too many do. Going with a pre-built block will help, but responsibility should be a significant issue if you are paying for labor anyway.

How much did you spend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lidrew View Post
I have an 11 pretty much maxed out on stock turbo E85. If things take a turn for the worse with motor at any point, I would do an IAG block. They seem highly recommended in recent years, have different stage blocks good reliability and my shop uses them a lot. I would do a IAG street block , Dom 1.5, TMIC, bigger injectors and clutch on E85 or flex set up and probably be around $10k-12k.
My fully supported rebuild without e85 cost this in legitimately (easily compared) priced parts, and it should certainly be one option at under $20K. You'd might have room to try to squeeze a decent suspension in there too which is something I wouldn't do without. This would be dependent on your choice of other parts.

$20k goes far faster than most expect. Still it is a great budget you can stay under for a really nice "moderate" re-built + built engine even if you aren't doing the work. It could easily get you to the high end of moderate depending on your choices, priorities and availability of e85.. But attempting the highest power per $ isn't always the best choice. Not that it matters, but my mental budget when I started was under $15k. I spent more and could easily have added another $10k to get my "dream engine" which hasn't changed that much since.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI

Last edited by mheyman; 05-19-17 at 08:35 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-19-17, 09:47 AM   #15
user1029
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Fav Mod: HTA86.
My Subaru Parts for sale

user1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Any suggestion on build reguarding the long block?
IAG

I never mind spending money on my car since I drive it everyday and driving is therapeutic to me. It's money I would have to spend on a psychiatrist and medication otherwise

If you own a built motor, read this: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/built-mo...nvestment.html
If you own a Cobb AP, read this: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/faq-newb...onitoring.html
Power Progression Guide: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lite...ing-stars.html
Likes 3 Dislikes 0

Old 05-19-17, 10:44 AM   #16
motogp500
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: CWP 17 WRX STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

motogp500 is an unknown quantity at this point

Go with the house
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-19-17, 02:01 PM   #17
Yadayadayada28@gmail
Active Participant

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Yadayadayada28@gmail is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay11STI View Post

Hey. Thank you bro. It will be one shop for sure. I will also look into the iag blocks.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-19-17, 02:04 PM   #18
Yadayadayada28@gmail
Active Participant

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
Trust isn't the issue. It's what happens when it all goes wrong - and too many do. Going with a pre-built block will help, but responsibility should be a significant issue if you are paying for labor anyway.

How much did you spend

My fully supported rebuild without e85 cost this in legitimately (easily compared) priced parts, and it should certainly be one option at under $20K. You'd might have room to try to squeeze a decent suspension in there too which is something I wouldn't do without. This would be dependent on your choice of other parts.

$20k goes far faster than most expect. Still it is a great budget you can stay under for a really nice "moderate" re-built + built engine even if you aren't doing the work. It could easily get you to the high end of moderate depending on your choices, priorities and availability of e85.. But attempting the highest power per $ isn't always the best choice. Not that it matters, but my mental budget when I started was under $15k. I spent more and could easily have added another $10k to get my "dream engine" which hasn't changed that much since.
Thank you for the pointers. I do want to run e85 i was thinking the cobb flex fuel setup but ive only been playing with subaru for a few yrs and ive been out of touch with the scene for the past few months.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-19-17, 04:56 PM   #19
Yadayadayada28@gmail
Active Participant

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogp500 View Post
Go with the house
If i go with the house that means im stuck driving my 2007 honda accord. I hate it when im not working lol. I want my sti back.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-19-17, 06:40 PM   #20
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud ofyamahaSHO has much to be proud of

Are you still in Colorado???

Likes 0 Dislikes 0