IW STi Forum banner

Knocking at 1000mi after build

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  rjackel 
#1 ·
Simple question. Sorry I am not a mechanic, dont pretend to be. Im stuck with a fresh built 2005 STI it had 20k miles on a rebuilt engine when the ringland #2 went. Had the block machined, Wiseco 8.5 pistons, 08 STI rods, and ACL race bearings installed.

1000 miles during break in (NO boost, 2 oil changes) it started acting funny around 2000 rpm, so I shut it off. Didnt touch it for a day, started it up the next day and it was knocking (wasnt making any noise initially). It has only ran for not even 30 seconds making that sound.

Builder doesnt have time to help me fix the problem, not trying to throw a lot more money at this car taking it to a shop, kinda just want to cut my losses at this time, but I was to control those losses.

Builder says putting in the wrong oil will cause it to spin a bearing and knock. I dont know enough about this (my fault) to say this is the problem..but I believe hes right.

So my question is simple : Would putting in 5w40 Rotella t6 for break in cause it to spin a bearing? He says thats too thick and wont give the bearings proper lubrication.

Thanks for any help, Im a painter/ fabricator so engine work is totally new to me and not something I was looking for.

See less See more
#3 ·
I call BS on the builder. 5w40 should not have caused that. Improper installation/build error. Either the block wasnt cleaned right or the clearances were all wrong. Do an oil analysis unless you already changed the oil then it is too late. That will tell you whats going on and what failed inside. After that the only thing you can do is bring it to another shop and have them tear it down. If they find improper clearances or build errors then you will know what happened and can try and go after the shop.

You can sell the car as is but will probably take the same amount of loss as you would putting a new shortblock in so its up to you.

#4 ·
Even stock motors run 5w40, if anything most engine builders might tell you to use thicker -- not thinner -- oil, unless he made the clearances tighter than stock for whatever reason, but I don't think it would be intentional since most built motors are a bit looser than stock.

Like Maz, I'm also running 15w50 for summer and 10w40 for winter on my built motor.

#5 ·
Stock motors use factory fill which might even be real break in oil. But in the old days I used to break in engines with whatever they were going to run. Anyway with breakin rpm and boost limitations, oil had nothing to do with your problems.

#6 ·
Did he build it will stock parts? If not then what did he use? A spun bearing at 1000 miles is deffently not legit!!!! If he used stock parts, and clearances he may have a case (very slim case). T6 is one of the most popular oils for these engines, so I do not see how the oil its self did the damage. Have it towed to a good shop (ask on the forums for one near you). Have that shop tear it down with the mind set of finding what caused the failure. You are going to have to stack a metric ton of evidence in your favor in order to win in small claims court. Get the BBB involved if/when the new shop says it was built wrong. You could sell it as is for far far far less than its worth, and it will take some time to find the right buyer.Most likely you are going to take a hit in the wallet either way. One thing you dont want to do yet it name, and shame the shop on any multimedia outlet until your case is finished so they cant sue you for slander, or at the least keep you from looking the fool. Good luck man its a SH&^y deal no matter how you slice it.

#12 · (Edited)
i like everyone in here, but who in the hell started this "breakin oil" bullshit on iwsti? as soon as one person says something this stupid, everybody starts humming that crap like a mantra. it's total bullshit. the engine builder dictates what oil you need to run based on his clearances. his job is to tell you what to put in it before you put anything in it.

Builder doesnt have time to help me fix the problem
you need to grab him by the lapels, shake him a couple times and then bitch slap him once or twice just to make sure you have his attention. tell him to tear it the fuck down and figure out what he did wrong.

#13 ·
i like everyone in here, but who in the hell started this "breakin oil" bullshit on iwsti? as soon as one person says something this stupid, everybody starts humming that crap like a mantra. it's total bullshit. the engine builder dictates what oil you need to run based on his clearances. it's not your call or the call of anyone else.
I'm wondering if by "break-in oil" people are just referring to non-synthetic. I know my builder had me break-in my motor on normal conventional oil.

#16 · (Edited)
Looking to get an oil analysis via Blackstone labs. They say the oil should be at operating temp when taking a sample...what should I do? I haven't ran it for more than a few seconds since I heard the noise. I would like to limit the damage if it is indeed a spun bearing. However, it could be piston slap? Is it possible for an engine to develop piston slap after break in? What tests can I do that wont explode my engine?

I appreciate any and all help from everyone here! Im in deep sh*t with this car...nothing but problems!

Edit: I can upload a video of the noise if necessary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.