IW STi Forum banner

2005 STI techworks engineering block

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  rith 
#1 ·
I am having a bit of an issue, I had my engine built last year with tech work here in Calgary Alberta. One year later I am having a problem with blue smoke out my exhaust at idle, which continues till I hit boost. Wondering if anyone has some insight as to what maybe causing it?

Build is as follows:
New Subaru block
Wiseco stock size forged Pistons
New 2009+ cranks
Dw 850cc injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Cxracing td05-16g

My thought is that maybe the seals on the crappy cxracing turbo have started to go, thus why the smoke goes away after I hit boost.

#4 ·
Rings = blowby under heavy throttle, high oil consumption etc..

I would check your PCV system and everything else before jumping to conclusions, but a cheap turbo is a cheap turbo. Another thing is make sure the turbo line is spec'd out for the turbo it might need a restrictor in the feed line it might just be getting too much oil and can't handle it.

#5 ·
So I did some more investigation, I pulled the PCV breather where it connects to the turbo inlet. There was no sign of oil residue; however, there did not seem to be any hint of pressure from it. I then left it disconnected while holding rpm at 3000, nothing came out of the line. Here is a link to a video of the smoke at idle shortly after driving.
AFE582F6-E22A-4BB3-BE13-4FB9225C567B.mp4 Video by krisr33 | Photobucket

#7 ·
Looks like its running a tad bit lean with the white smoke, cap the turbo inlet hose and run the pcv hose into a coffee can, take it for a few hard pulls and see if anything is inside the can, it might help you narrow it down a bit. Check the turbo for oil puddling inside the coldside also.

#8 ·
So I pulled out my intercooler today, no oily residue inside it or the turbo output. Also pulled the PCV valve and it was functioning correctly (the pill inside would rattle when shacken) I cleaner it with sensor cleaner. Next step is to pull the EGT gauge and see if there is blue(ish) smoke coming from there or only after the turbo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.