IW STi Forum banner

Subaru glass sucks!

4K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  enoxard 
#1 ·
Since my '10 STI is my second Subie, I already knew the windshield glass really sucks when it comes to "resisting" micropitting. But jez, my glass is glazed with more sparkles than stars in a clear desert night sky.

Even my front side windows have very visible pits from road dust & debris flying around the car.

Anyone else want to vent here about how crappy the Subaru factory glass is when it comes to micropits. I'm not talking about honest chips or cracks from rock impacts..... just how easily the tiniest road dust/sand can tarnish the visibility, especially when driving towards the sunlight.

:wtf:

#5 ·
Agreed. Clay it. You'd be surprised how much stuff on your car is not damage but junk.

Knock on wood, I don't get all the complaining about how the glass and paint on these cars suck. My car has about 12500 miles and I can't find a single chip in it (paint or glass) except the chip in the windshield from a hefty rock. Need to get my insurance company to fix that...

#14 ·
Glad (if that's the right word) to hear I'm not the only one peeved about windshield pitting.

I'll give the claybar thing a try. I knew about it for paint cleaning, but didn't know it could work on glass.

My luck it will just act like an SOS pad and leave swirl marks all over the still pitted glass.

:censored:

#19 ·
Yea, I have a 2010 WRX with the same glass issues. I too am gonna try and clay it. I think since the winter was super bad, it made things that much worse. The first time I washed it after the winter, I spent a half hour on each side just scrubbing tar off the lower half of my doors. Now that its warm, clay and some nice thick coats of wax.

#21 · (Edited)
Same problem 2017 WRX. New off the lot, window is terrible in the sun after few weeks. So many scratches gleaming I cant see in sun! Gets worse every day it seems. This morning I woke up to go drive and before I get down the street a crack slowly moves across windshield, sounded like ice in water. What is wrong with Subaru glass? I have owned many vehicles but never thought a windshield could be this pathetic or cheap. I don't have the patience for bs like this. Honestly, I wouldn't have purchased it if I knew they cannot even build a proper window. I am afraid of what problems may come next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.