IW STi Forum banner

Did I make a huge mistake?

Thoughts/Review/Comparison 
2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  enoxard 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2007 WRX STI Limited. I was torn between the 04-07 Subaru and the 08+ Mitsubishi Evolution X GSR. I am now regretting my decision. It seems that just about every mod can cause the engine to grenade. Simple things like an intake can cause the computer to lean out and detonate. The engine as a whole seems to be much weaker than either the 4b11 or the 4g63. It also seems that the Evo is a better handling car. So far I have purchased a Cobb Accessport and I'm running the stage 1 map. Afraid to do anything else at this point. Overall I really like the car I just feel like it will be more costly in the long run to make this thing perform well. (i.e. 400awhp and handling). This is mainly a street car with the occasional AutoX on the weekends. I have a Honda Accord for a daily driver. Did I make a huge mistake buying this car? I'm a noob so please feel free to school me on anything.

#2 ·
Both are on par in handling and performance, one does it mechanically and the other does it electronically. Professional GT500 drivers clocked both cars around track at very similar lap times and quarter mile is similar too, question is how good are your driving skills. Most review and people comment the EVO as better handling because the AYC and ACD does help correct driver's errors as well as making the EVO X a more point and click car, steer where you wanna go and throttle on. It is the easier car to drive faster among the two, the sti is just a raw awd with mechanical diffs. Pick your poison.

Reliability wise, it's blown out of proportion in terms of engine failure. The 4B11 will grenade all the same if u mod it without tuning it.

Maintenance wise, the sti is definitely cheaper as all fluids use are easily available. The AYC of the Mitsubishi iirc requires proprietary fluid but I could be wrong.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Thank you. I appreciate the information. I feel better about my purchase already. I need to stop getting all my information off forums and go and talk to some of the tuners and racers. I'm definitely a novice driver so I'm sure the car can drive better than I can.

#4 · (Edited)
Both the Evo X and STi are great cars in terms of handling and performance. Yes, you can extract more power out of the 4B11 with less mods when compared to the STi. The 4B11 engine does have a cast iron block but it doesn't mean it's indestructible. It too will grenade once you push it past its limits. Any time you change the way a forced induction engine breaths, you will need a tune. That is a general rule for all forced induction engines and not just the EJ257.

The forums like this one are good and bad. They have some great info but they also add to the scare factor and the "what if's" There are alot of threads with engine failures and things like that but they also don't really tell you what was going on when it happened. In reality if you think about how many people have Sti's without issues when compared to how many that have had failures, the number is relatively small. I wouldnt let the forums make you feel some type of way about the car.

A tight maintenance schedule, good driving habits, good fuel, and a protune will really go a long way with these cars and will also attribute to having a good car.

#9 ·
Both the Evo X and STi are great cars in terms of handling and performance. Yes, you can extract more power out of the 4B11 with less mods when compared to the STi. The 4B11 engine does have a cast iron block but it doesn't mean it's indestructible. It too will grenade once you push it past its limits. Any time you change the way a forced induction engine breaths, you will need a tune. That is a general rule for all forced induction engines and not just the EJ257.

The forums like this one are good and bad. They have some great info but they also add to the scare factor and the "what if's" There are alot of threads with engine failures and things like that but they also don't really tell you what was going on when it happened. In reality if you think about how many people have Sti's without issues when compared to how many that have had failures, the number is relatively small. I wouldnt let the forums make you feel some type of way about the car.

A tight maintenance schedule, good driving habits, good fuel, and a protune will really go a long way with these cars and will also attribute to having a good car.
just nitpicking, but fairly sure the 4B11 is an all-aluminum block, similar to the EJ engines.

'Twas the old 4G63 that was the cast-iron block with the aluminum heads...

Otherwise agreed with the rest of the post.

#5 ·
Strong user name to post relevance.:lol:

Don't worry, many of these motors last with no issues.

I had an 07 that was modded that ran perfectly for 85k miles when I traded for my 11 that has been on E85 tune for 4 years and 70k miles with no issues.

The key is to find a reputable, experienced Subaru specific tuner in your area and get the car protuned. Even a stage 1 protune likely to be safer than an off the shelf tune.

#6 · (Edited)
Strong user name to post relevance.:lol:
Yeah, and I wasn't going to respond. This one will be short. No issue between cars considered. They are both old and neither will last forever unless you make it a museum piece, spend more money on it, and do more work on it than those of us who DD ours. You can start with a Leno like climate controlled showroom.

So, perhaps. It's an old car :rofl::rofl::rofl: nothin gonna change that :rofl::rofl::rofl:

#7 ·
You didn't make a mistake at all if you are only considering the Evo X. If it were an 07 STi against an Evo 8 or 9 then yes. The Evo 10's aren't really what they used to be besides handling well which they always have. The 4G63 made the evolutions what they were because you could literally throw on a big turbo and fuel and reliably make 500+whp on the stock motor. When they went to the ALL-aluminum 4B11 it pretty much killed that persona.

#11 · (Edited)
95% of everything you hear on forums is incorrect, junk science, "my motor blew up," or "does this intercooler fit?"

The other 10% is genuine knowledge.

Remember that the forums make up a TINY amount of actual car owners, and a lot of them are one-time posters of "HELP MY CAR BLEW UP WHAT IS THE BEST COURSE OF ACTION K THX BAI"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.