IW STi Forum banner

2018 STi/WRX Info Release

Thoughts/Review/Comparison 
149K views 926 replies 126 participants last post by  TX STIG 
#1 ·
#176 ·
Re: Decide to buy 18 sti

its the combination of the total changes in the braking system over what it has now though, the larger cailpers are going to work with the larger pads and larger rotors and that is going to reduce fade over what the car has now...why are people saying this is dumb thinking LMAO!!!!!

People dont buy STI's to put around daily driving where the brakes are not going to be noticed, I cant see how these larger rotors and larger brake pad surface area along with the greater clamping force of 6 piston calipers isnt going to be a big advantage at preventing and reducing fade when canyon carving, road racing or auto crossing STOCK FOR STOCK when comparing the 2015-2017's vs the 2018's!!!

Its not dumb at all LOL.

This new STI is probably going to bury the RS on tracks and make up for the second it was loosing on tracks.

I think everyone understands that there arent 4 piston set ups with the smaller rotors and pads that work well,,but to say the larger pads larger rotors and 6 piston calipers does not have benefit in sprited driving is simply not true, stock for stock 2017 vs 2018 STI. Nough said, the car is just AWESOME!!!

Haters are going to hate though LOL

#191 ·

Will it cost more?

Will it perfom better?

Will it be heavier?

Until it is released it all speculative.

Im more interested in what will be powering new cars from 2022 with the new EPA rules, world wide sales of Hyundai i20 on the rise?

My 2 cents.

#193 ·

GOOD LORD PEOPLE...stop hating on the brake upgrade LMBAO!!! If larger brakes will reduce the potential for fade at higher top speeds than they will stop the car quicker in those scenarios......no one is talking about daily driving type putting around as the reason for the larger brakes LOL......it is almost CERTAINLY a prelude to a more powerful engine coming VERY soon.

Grow up.

#196 ·

GOOD LORD PEOPLE...stop hating on the brake upgrade LMBAO!!! If larger brakes will reduce the potential for fade at higher top speeds than they will stop the car quicker in those scenarios......no one is talking about daily driving type putting around as the reason for the larger brakes LOL......it is almost CERTAINLY a prelude to a more powerful engine coming VERY soon.

Grow up.
Nobody is hating on the upgrade. We're simply saying that just because the car has 6 pot calipers, doesn't mean it's going to be astronomically better compared to the 4 pots out of the box.

The OP makes a new thread every 2 days regarding something about the sti and laps/track driving with extremely vague information and no real data to confirm any of his opinions or assumptions. No telemetry. No footage. No nothing. Just "I changed my alignment and my sti is faster than s2000 with tires, brakes, coilovers, and aero around the track.

I'm sure with the right pads and tires, the 6 pots will outperform the 4 pots for sure. But the OEM 4 pots can overpower the Dunlop tires with nothing more than a slightly more agressive pad. If these 6 pots are "better" like everybody is claiming (without even driving it I might add), all that means is that it will overpower the tires easier, meaning stopping distances will remain unchanged.

Some people just live in a fantasy world and ignore physics or reality.

#199 ·

I'm not disappointment for getting the 2017 a few months ago.. if there were some power upgrades in the 18' I would have been.. But waiting another year just for bigger brakes, recaro seats and a different front bumper.. meh. I like it just the way it is! Once the new motor is released... one day I'll definitely upgrade!

#203 ·

I'm not disappointment for getting the 2017 a few months ago.. if there were some power upgrades in the 18' I would have been.. But waiting another year just for bigger brakes, recaro seats and a different front bumper.. meh. I like it just the way it is! Once the new motor is released... one day I'll definitely upgrade!
you forgot,,,retuned suspension, redesigned fully electronic center differential, 19" wheels with a aggressive aspect ratio tires, redesigned center dash information screen, headlights that turn with the steering wheel direction, built in roof rack mounts. Improved interior materials, and thicker glass(which will probably make the car quiet on the highway at triple digit speeds). They probably did other things to it too. Its the most they have ever changed in a running model generation in the U.S.

#208 ·
For a few minutes while reading the press release i was questioning my '17 purchase. Except for the center diff upgrade, the major updates can be done on earlier models. I've not heard of any chassis updates so brakes, brake ducts, wheels, shocks & seats can be updated on a '15+. This does get me excited for what is to come once they upgrade the engine finally. Hopefully it is decent given the power of its competition is making, including the FoRS & Camaro SS.

#209 ·

Ummm....duh tires stop a car. Thanks for the epifany LOL

wow dude....grow up, what is wrong with you LOL. The funny thing is that I dont disagree with you, what I am saying is that the combined changes are going to show that the 2018 will have a shorter stopping distance out of all the prior gens.

#212 ·

Still editing after your initial short posts, I see.

Now if you can understand this so called epiphany, it'd be great. You're speculating again.
DUDE! Everybody is speculating, nothing wrong with it, and honestly chances are better than not that the 2018 will have the shortest stopping distances out of all the prior u.s gens, that doesnt make me a "fucking idiot"

Get over yourself and grow up.

#213 ·

You state your speculation as fact. And funny enough, big brakes aren't really abut shorter stopping distances. And yes, after however long it is, I do think you are an idiot. Sorry not sorry.

These aren't huge upgrades; get over yourself.

#217 ·

I've never seen someone LOL and LMAO at themselves as much as him. To me, that indicates a lack of confidence in what he's saying, so it's not even worth arguing over. He is entitled to his opinion, but it would be nice if it were backed up by facts sometimes.
I just find it hilarious to read his SCREAMING posts over and over again defending the STI and the mid cycle upgrades, both in this and the other 2018 thread. I mean I love the upgrades and wished my 17 has it, but it's quite ridiculous and over the top, no?

#216 ·

Bottom line is they did not fix what was already broken. The decrepit EJ257

They added a big brake kit because the brake vector caused brake fires at the Laguna press launch.

They added 19s to sell cars.

They deleted the mechanical center to save thousands. They added sound deadening because it's hard to sell the wife on a 45k car with an exhaust without a quiet valve.

Subaru is a slick outfit, selling these 25k cars for 40+

#226 ·

Tires traction determines stopping distance. Just imagine instead of brakes stopping the wheels turning while braking, the wheels are spinning in opposite in direction to stop the car. It's all about changing that kinetic energy to heat energy as it breaks down the tire compound.

The number of pots on calipers doesn't mean much in terms of stopping distance. They are only an upgrade in terms of brake fade reduction and consistency.

The most misleading thing people get from a brake upgrade from smaller to bigger ones is an increase in braking distance. Thats because the surface area of the upgraded brakes is bigger which simply equates to pressing harder on the smaller brakes. Same weight, same tires, same rotor, same pad just different caliper pots will yield same stopping distance.

Most cars with oem brakes can brake hard enough to activate their ABS. Pretty much all cars doesn't need brakes upgrade to lock their brakes so tires determines braking distance. Bigger brakes most of the time have higher mass, higher mass means they can hold a higher heat energy during braking, they have a higher threshold before the heat energy is too much thus creating brake fade.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

#228 ·

These changes are subaru making good on their announcement in 2016 that they were going to start selling sti's in the U.S with parts that were previously only available in Japan. The 2018 looKS like it is incorporating some of the s207 parts from the new Gen Japan edition, it also had white gauges, the forged aluminum 19" wheels and the 18" drilled rotors and 6 pot calipers. It's just a sign that they are bringing out the "Next Level" STI they talked about!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.