Speedhut A/F Gauge
AEM Wideband Controller
Speedhut Oil Pressure Gauge
DAMD D-Shaped Wheel

Wheels/Tires:
STI BBS
Hankook RS3 255/35/18
Perrin 20mm Spacers

Background: I stalked the forums for about a year before I decided that I really wanted an STI. I put my order in for an STI limited SWP, sun roof, and nav in around February, and picked it up June 6, 2013. It was a horrible, horrible wait. But it happened!

Finally, the time has come for me to create a build thread since I have more than a few modifications. So I have come to the point to build my motor. I went through one engine at 22k miles while completely stock. Ring land failure. Fortunately warranty covered it. But now, at 52k miles, I have two spun bearings(3 and 4).

Car has been down since June 2016, but I'm currently in the works of getting everything together. The list below will be organized like most peoples threads. Current, ordered, future purchases, etc, you get the point.

----------------------------------------

IMG_1281 by Tyler Andreas, on Flickr

First day:

IMG_1526 by Tyler Andreas, on Flickr View attachment 42951

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Re: IAG, Flex fuel, racekor.

Photo dump:

Celebrity Shot- RallySport Direct wanted some photos of my car.

IMG_0856 by Tyler Andreas, on Flickr

Autocross

IMG_1417 by Tyler Andreas, on Flickr

IMG_1819 by Tyler Andreas, on Flickr

IMG_7274 by Tyler Andreas, on Flickr

My custom made gauges from Speedhut. They're perfect.

IMG_1298 by Tyler Andreas, on Flickr

IMG_1300 by Tyler Andreas, on Flickr

IMG_1301 by Tyler Andreas, on Flickr

IMG_1302 by Tyler Andreas, on Flickr

And the obligatory Subaru in snow shot:

IMG_2016 by Tyler Andreas, on Flickr

#6 ·
Re: tylerandreas: IAG, Flex Fuel, Racekor.

There is something about the simple, limited wheels / wingless look that I love about your car.. Possibly making me think about going wingless on mine.

Great looking subie! Definitely will follow your build.
Thanks for the love. I think going wingless with the ts rear lip is my favorite mod visually. The wing is just too much for me. Bassler's ZE40 setup on his car has already swooned me into buying that setup in the spring. haha

I like the custom gauges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Check out Speedhut.com, you can customize anything you want. Luckily enough I have friends that work there so I get some parts for a bit cheaper than the Average Joe.

#8 ·

Thanks man. Any shots of the engine bay?

No, it's pretty much stock with the exception of a wrinkle red AEM intake. Motor is getting pulled this weekend and the new IAG stage 2 is getting put in when I get the heads back from the machine shop. Should get the stuff in red above anytime this week.

#10 ·

I may just have to go that route as well with that lip. And +1 as well to those speedhut gauges, they are awesome looking. I've been trying to find a good alternative to having to dish out the cash for DEFI's and might go that route too.

Are you planning to go with a bigger or rotated turbo setup when you have your engine in? I'm dropping mine off this week to get my stage 2 built block in and am torn between stock location or just saving up and going rotated.

#11 ·

I may just have to go that route as well with that lip. And +1 as well to those speedhut gauges, they are awesome looking. I've been trying to find a good alternative to having to dish out the cash for DEFI's and might go that route too.

Are you planning to go with a bigger or rotated turbo setup when you have your engine in? I'm dropping mine off this week to get my stage 2 built block in and am torn between stock location or just saving up and going rotated.
Honestly, if I would have researched more in the beginning I would have gone rotated for sure. But I'm at the point where I'll be doing nothing but losing money. I am on the fence between a Blouch 20g XT as a few pop up on the forums, or a 1.5 stock location. I mean, both are in the range of 450-480whp on E85 and that should be enough for anyone.

I'm really only held back by headers, intercooler, and turbo at this point for the power I want. I'm not interested in more than 500whp, so that means I'm good to leave the heads alone.

#14 ·
Re: IAG, Flex Fuel, Racekor.

Looks like I was a derp and forgot about motor mounts. When I was under my car this past weekend they all looked fine. But I'm going to upgrade to group N motor and trans mounts while it's out.

Is there any reason to get bigger mounts? Like Perrin or something? They are like 3 times as expensive as Group N stuff. Also, talking to my tuner Ryan Kitchens at Simple Performance today about needing anything else before the tune. Much excite.

#18 ·

The problem is, all the "build" part of my car is not completely done, but wont happen for a while, maybe ill put one together this weekend.
It's just a journal to keep track of what you have done, where your build is at. I like the concept.

Also, all mounts have been ordered. We also forgot about the PNP Adaptors for the injectors. That would have been super upsetting to not have. So those have been ordered as well. Just waiting for everything to come in. Motor is getting pulled Sunday so that's exciting.

#20 · (Edited)
IAG, Flex Fuel, Racekor.

Engine is out. First Subaru engine I've pulled, it was actually really easy. Hardest part was a bell housing bolt that decided it wanted to take about 8 threads out with it. Gotta thank my friends Jonny and Jory for helping me out.

Should be getting my motor from Prime Motoring soon so I'm going to wait to get my heads machined for a little so I can remember how to put everything back together.

#26 ·

Very interested to see how much power you end up making with this setup. I've been considering going flex fuel, but worried it might be pushing the stock block to the limit.

Well, E85 is safer for our cars. Which means you can run a little more power. A lot of people sit around 350wtq on a stock block from what I've seen. If anything, you're just gaining another safety net.

#32 · (Edited)

Meeting my tuner tomorrow morning at 10am. We're going to talk about anything he wants to add or would prefer. Motor supposedly got built yesterday, so lets hope that happened and that they are shipping it sometime next week. So I'm being hopeful that I have the block in the next 2 weeks.

Also planning on pulling the block apart and getting the heads ready to be machined and taking apart the AVCS gears and cleaning them out incase shavings got in there. I think I'm only missing an oil cooler right now and I'll have everything for assembly once my short block gets here.

#33 ·

Ok, so motor is scheduled for delivery on Friday. Heads are at the machine shop now, but they are pretty busy, and it's the holiday. They told me maybe this week, definitely Monday. So, I'm shooting for Monday.

Also returned my Omni 4-bar sensor. Tuner told me that Omni has issues with moisture and can spike to 150psi, which basically freaks the computer out and tells it to add all the fuel. Not a fan of that idea. They recommend the AEM 3.5. So I'll buy that soon. I also just picked up a Cobb turbo inlet 2.4". I wanted to go with a 3", but no idea what turbo I want yet. So I'll just run the stocker for a while during my winter/break in. And sometime in the spring go bigger.

But, I'm getting exciting. Everything is coming together quickly. And in the next 2 weeks it's gonna be a running car, and hopefully on a dyno. I'm going to call on the dyno and see about their schedule.