IW STi Forum banner

A-Pillar Rattle / Crackling Fix [A MUST DO]

46K views 39 replies 29 participants last post by  DommerEOD 
#1 · (Edited)
So quick and simple yet magical... eliminated all the rattle / crackling from the A-Pillar. (That sound you hear that seems to come from the windshield area on both driver and passenger sides.)

Procedure is the same for Driver and Passenger Side

Time: 15-20min
Tools Needed
-Flathead or Nylon Pry Bar (leaves less marks on plastic)
-Phillips head or 10mm socket wrench
-Foam Tape (some people use felt tape)

Another good door rattle fix here:
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/diy-mod...oor-panel-speaker-rattle-fix.html#post3831385

WARNING!!
DO WHEN TEMPERATURE IS WARM (50+degreesF). plastic is brittle when cold.
Note: I did it when it was 32F out, but warmed the car and put the heat on the pillars to be safe.

Foam Tape I used. A little too thick, but Its what I had laying around.

1. Use flat head to remove the Pillar Cap. (once you popped the bottom off enough, you can just use your hands.)

2. Unscrew using Phillips or 10mm socket. Pull towards middle of car to remove hidden clip in center of pillar.

3. Slide out the A-Pillar.

4. Remove the cheap tape that subaru puts on the tabs so you can put your own tape.

5.Cut up some of your foam tape and apply it to the tabs. Use whole pieces that wrap around the tabs *preferable*
(picture shows small cut up pieces *not-preferable*)
Note: I used really thick foam tape because I had it laying around

6. Reverse Steps 1-3.

See less See more
#9 ·
Did this today with some foam tape that was similar to what you used. No rattles on my test drive but it was 60ish degrees outside, so I will know for sure if it worked if I don't get rattles on the way to work tomorrow morning. BTW that phillips head screw was really tight on my car and I couldn't get it to turn with a screwdriver. Using a 10mm socket will work too for those who have the same problem.

#15 ·
Just did the 1/8" thick x 1/4" wide closed cell foam to a-pillar trim trick on 2011 wrx. Easy to do. 15 minutes per pillar and one $3 roll of foam was plenty. Did tabs at base of trim as well as where trim contacts dash and window. Also did a few wraps on wires running up next to metal. No more rattle corner dash rattle in cold weather.

#16 ·
ahhhh I hope this is the rattle I have. I keep hearing a rattle in the windshield area but I couldn't isolate where exactly. I'll be driving along and randomly attempting to put pressure on various panels to see if I can make it stop temporarily.. driving me nuts. worth the time and effort to see!

#31 ·
So quick and simple yet magical... eliminated all the rattle / crackling from the A-Pillar. (That sound you hear that seems to come from the windshield area on both driver and passenger sides.)

Procedure is the same for Driver and Passenger Side

Time: 15-20min
Tools Needed
-Flathead or Nylon Pry Bar (leaves less marks on plastic)
-Phillips head or 10mm socket wrench
-Foam Tape (some people use felt tape)

Another good door rattle fix here:
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/diy-mod...oor-panel-speaker-rattle-fix.html#post3831385

WARNING!!
DO WHEN TEMPERATURE IS WARM (50+degreesF). plastic is brittle when cold.
Note: I did it when it was 32F out, but warmed the car and put the heat on the pillars to be safe.

Foam Tape I used. A little too thick, but Its what I had laying around.
Image Link

1. Use flat head to remove the Pillar Cap. (once you popped the bottom off enough, you can just use your hands.)
Image Link

2. Unscrew using Phillips or 10mm socket. Pull towards middle of car to remove hidden clip in center of pillar.
Image Link

3. Slide out the A-Pillar.
Image Link

4. Remove the cheap tape that subaru puts on the tabs so you can put your own tape.
Image Link

5.Cut up some of your foam tape and apply it to the tabs. Use whole pieces that wrap around the tabs *preferable*
(picture shows small cut up pieces *not-preferable*)
Note: I used really thick foam tape because I had it laying around
Image Link

Image Link

6. Reverse Steps 1-3.
Do you have any more of these magical rattle fix write-up for other parts of the GR. Like in the dash around the digital clock/MPG display? :D

#33 ·
i dont remember if i put any foam around there; i might have, but the trim around the radio (black and silver with vent parts) litteraly pops right off and the head unit come out pretty easy, just be sure not to forget to replug the cables you unplug from the headunit (i think like 3 or 4, depending on your headunit)

use your fingers to pull the trim off starting at the top. start at either right or left side on the top. Its only held by plastic clips and comes off fairly easily. take the radio out, and go felt/foam tape crazy.

----
i've also taken apart my rear deck and felted a lot there, thats a little more annoying to do, but not terribly difficult.
-----------------
however;
another pretty easy rattle fix is in your trunk/spare tire area. the Styrofoam makes a lot of squeaks. felt/foam tape the crap out of the contact areas.
-----------
also,
fold down your rear seats and look where your seats contacts the plastic rear deck, that rattles sometimes too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.