IW STi Forum banner

2008 STi - Broken welds + hatch damper (metal on metal squeak)... *RESOLVED[?]*

32K views 118 replies 28 participants last post by  Deek 
#1 · (Edited)
Update 2011.09.16: At this point I'm quite comfortable with saying that this issue was definitely related to the passenger side hatch damper. The issue persisted after spot welds were reinforced, and ceased after the dampers were replaced.

I am now also keeping this updated in my blog as well @ 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Hatch - "theNoise" (Broken welds = Squeak)

Car: 2008 Impreza WRX STi

Problem: Broken welds on roof support near hatch opening causing metal on metal squeaking over bumps or in turns.
Update 2011.08.27; Could this have been misdiagnosed??? <- Click for more information.

Reason denied: Originally Subaru denied claim and voided warranty stating that installation of stiffer springs caused the weld to break.
Update 2011.07.21; SOA called, they're fixing under waranty, *but*... <- Click for more information.

Summary: I installed springs on my car (320lb rates, front & rear) on 2010.09.18. I have proof of invoice and tracking information via FedEx that shows I didn't have these springs in my possession until 2011.09.16. According to the dealer's service records, I first reported this problem to them on 2010.09.08. This means that it had already been occurring and I called them to set up an appointment for them to look at it. Those notes don't go into the system until the dealer takes possession of the car, at least for my dealer.

I went to the dealer today and had them print my service records. There is a 'customer complaint' on there dated 2010.09.08 that states the following;

Complaint: Customer states that the hatch back or something will creak in the rear when driving over a rough road please check and advise...

Cause: Tech traced and found there was a rattle coming from the latch on the rear hatch back door.

Correction: Tech greased the latch and test drove to verify proper operation.
On 2010.10.08 I brought it in because the brakes were squealing, at which time the service manager noticed the hatch squeak. I told him how I've already brought it in for that and they claim they fixed it by re-greasing the latch. He said to have it looked at again at the next service.

On 2011.02.03 I brought it in for service and this is what they have noted regarding the squeak.

Complaint: Customer states that the rear hatch is squeaking please check and advise...

Cause: Tech test drove the vehicle and found the rear mat rubbing on the cargo cover and tech also found the latch in need of lubrication.

Correction: Tech completed the lubrication on the rear hatch latch and also moved the rear cargo mat from the cargo shade and test drove to verify no squeaking from the rear at this time.
On 2011.02.07 I brought it in for the squeak again, and here are the notes.

Complaint: Customer states that there is a squeaking noise coming fromt he rear hatch when driving over bumps please check and advise...

Cause: Tech test drove the vehicle and was not able to duplicate the customer's concern at this time.

Correction: No repairs made at this time.
On 2011.05.13 I brought it in for maintenance and the following was noted regarding the squeak.

Complaint: Customer states there is a metal on metal noise coming from the right rear please check and advise.

Cause: Tech found the noise coming from the drivers rear quarter panel area more time is needed to complete diag.

Correction: Customer is advised and will return at a later date.
I brought it back on 2011.05.18 and here are the notes.

Complaint: Customer states there is a squeak coming from the rear top of the vehicle when going over bumps advise...

Cause: Tech found the creek coming from the rear roof supports. Possible weld broken.

Correction: Subaru has been contacted and factory engineer will come out to inspect vehicle at customer convenience. Customer will be contacted when this is possible.
I did go back again near the end of may, so I'll need to go back and get that service record for the details... but in short the rep didn't even come look at the vehicle, he just told the service manager to deny the claim and void the warranty stating that my stiffened springs caused the issue, which is clearly not the case.

I just gathered the documents I think I'll need, and I'm stopping by the dealer tomorrow to talk to the service manager. I'll try to keep this updated.

See less See more
#63 ·
Re: 2008 STi - Broken welds on rear roof support (metal on metal squeak)...

Called the dealer to speak with service manager at 12:15pm, he was with a customer so I left a voice mail. I went to lunch at 1pm, stopped by the body shop to check in briefly, car won't be done today. Stopped by dealer, service manager out to lunch, left message for him to call me.

Little frustrated right now. I'm OK with things taking longer than expected, but don't make guarantees if they can't be upheld. I'll get over it though, just want this done right. Back to work.

Might edit this later for proper sentence structure, etc... right now I just don't care.

#64 ·

The service manager just called me back, he already knew I stopped by the body shop to check in on my car. Without either of us really asking how things were going, we both had the "eh, it is what it is" attitude. He detailed what they've done and their results, seems they might have the squeak under control but now there is a "ticking" noise they're looking into. They'll pick up on it again Monday morning.

I explained to him that I'm OK with them taking longer than expected to ensure it doesn't reoccur. Yes, it's a bummer that I don't have my STi for the weekend given the plans I have for my fiance's birthday... but this dealership loaner Legacy 3.0 R will get us around. Problem is I'm growing accustomed to this low end torque from the NA engine. ;)

Again, it is what it is and I'd rather them take more time to prevent revisit(s) for the same problem.

#65 ·

There are times when too much info is tedious, but this ain't one of 'em. Your story many end up helping another member in the future, so the more the better. I don't know how many times I've searched for the answer to something and found many, many threads with the beginnings of trouble-shooting actions, but never any conclusion or followup!

I wouldn't be upset about them taking too long, and I for damned sure wouldn't be bothering them about it. As per your last update, they found another issue and are doing the right thing by spending additional time making it right. This isn't a simple chop and swap (or unbolt and swap for that matter,) so cut them a little slack if they don't get it done by Monday, either. The more you bug them, the more likely they'll be to decide that they've fulfilled the scope of work that the dealer tasked them with, and to hell with that new noise.

I'm glad that it seems to be going so smoothly, and that it's being paid for by not you! Congrats, brother.

#66 · (Edited)

I totally agree, I'd be quite alright with this repair taking another week or so if necessary. All I ask is that nobody provides misleading information. I'm a very honest, blunt and thorough person and would prefer those that interact with me sense that and treat me in the same regard. We've made a lot of progress. Not just with the issue at hand, but with the communication techniques as well. :tup:

My intention of checking in with them isn't to push them to hurry up and finish this... I'm just a very hands-on person and want to be kept in the loop as to what is transpiring. Even if it's just a "no real progress today..." I made it a point to say that to all individuals involved so they didn't feel rushed.

I'll update again when I have info next week sometime, I'll be sure to keep this updated through completion. I share your frustration with non-existent or inadequate follow up posts. :D

#67 ·
Service manager called me today saying they found the "tick". It was bonding material up closer to the driver on the roof. They're fixing that up and will update me after test driving.

Looks like I might be back in my STi this week, we'll see.

#68 ·

Alright! If you can, make sure to get/take pics of the repair. Did they determine that the issue was where you posted earlier? Did they end up spot-welding, fully welding, riveting or bonding the area? I ask, because you mentioned that you were speaking with the shop about beefing things up a bit.

#69 · (Edited)

I called the dealer and the service manager is out for today. No update there, so I called the body shop and spoke with the manager to get some info. He said they're done with the repairs at this point, but they're waiting for the service manager from the dealer to come by to test drive it before doing whatever paint-work is needed and putting things back together.

I stopped by on lunch to see what was done. They added some spot welds to both sides of the hatch opening (where my previous pictures highlighted), which stopped the squeak but seems to have brought another 'tick' out. So they traced it to (what I think is the) B pillar roof support, pictured here.

As you can see, they loaded up the support with pillar foam and used bonding material between the support and the roof. They did this for every support & crease in the roof.

Here are a few pictures of the spot welds. Again, once the service manager from the dealer test drives and approves the repairs, they will do their paintwork and reassemble everything.

Interestingly enough, they say that the squeaking very well could have originated from the front parts of the vehicle and just resonated to the rear. I want to believe them, but I am more inclined to think that once they solidified the rear of the roof, the front showed its weak points. Either way, seems to be all under control. Given the fact that the dealer service manager is out of the office today and the body shop is basically waiting on his approval before buttoning everything up, I'm pretty sure I won't be getting the car back for the weekend. Again, it is what it is, and I'll update when I've got something.

#73 ·

OK, back in my car finally. Service manager waited around a few extra minutes for me to stop by after work and pick it up. Things sound and look good so far. I will look at it closer tomorrow mid-day when there's more sunlight and I can see better. Only time will be the judge of how successful we were in fixing the problem. However, I can say that a few road imperfections that usually cause the squeak were uneventful today on my way home. :)

I need to stop by the dealer next week to get new visor clips, as mine broke somewhere along the line with the removal and reinstallation of the headliner. I'll update again sometime next week after I've had a chance to 'take a microscope' to everything and drive more.

#75 · (Edited)
Never mind, it's still squeaking. No improvement. There's about a 3/4 in bump I drive over every day on my way to work that makes it squeak without fail... Today was no different. I heard it several times this morning already.

I've left a voicemail for the dealer service manager and the SOA rep and will follow up monday.

:(
Deek via Droid

#81 ·

I'm sure their welds held on, I just don't think that the issue originated from where they thought. Back to the drawing board, I'll update again Monday after discussion with the dealer service manager and SOA rep.

#82 ·

I had a rear squeak in my car, it turned out to be the rear seat upper locking mechanism. Extremely annoying!

#83 · (Edited)

So being incredibly fed up with this while situation, hell bound to find the root cause, Tom (mnym8kr) and I went for some test drives over some crappy roads earlier to try to get to the bottom of this. I'll elaborate on that later, probably with videos if they're viable, but for now the short of it is that there is a chance we've found the source.... The hatch damper & support.

... to be continued.

#84 ·

WOW man, Im without words. Sorry to hear that. I think its time for them to buy your car back and issue you a new one!

Fingers remain crossed for you, good luck!

Disconnect the dampers and go over your 3/4" bump. If they are squeaking that should tell you.

#85 · (Edited)

Here is a 10 minute video from our one hour test drive. I edited it down to get the squeak's 'greatest hits'.

After our drive earlier we went to Tom's house and started looking at possible causes. We removed all plastics from the hatch door and with it closed, he took an orbital buffer to the exterior and nothing major was audible. So we opened the hatch and he took the buffer to interior surfaces. We noticed an absolutely obnoxious rattle coming from the passenger side of the hatch door. I grabbed a hold of the damper while he applied pressure with the buffer and the rattle stopped.

The passenger side hatch damper had a lot of play in it, and the rubber bushing around the mount on the chassis seems to be worn because when I moved it there was a metal-on-metal clanking. There was also a clanking coming from the joint on the hatch door. I tried the same with the driver side hatch damper and it was much more solid on the chassis, but still had a clanking on the hatch door... however much less noticeable.

We removed both dampers and put them in his garage with the plastics from the hatch door and went for another drive. Hitting the same bump that causes the squeak to occur every day for me, yielded no squeak this time... Hmm, I better do a u-turn and do that again just to be sure... nope, no squeak. Daww, OK once more for funsies... sweet, no squeak! I don't want to celebrate prematurely but it seems we may have found the cause.

Tomorrow, we're going to go on another plasticless-damperless-hatch-door drive while the car is cool (it's 110~ right now) to make sure the metals weren't just more pliable and not squeaking because it was warm. If it doesn't squeak, I'll be more optimistic.

I should note that it is likely we're on to something here, because when the service manager was diagnosing the issue he said that he got the squeak to stop by having one of his techs wedge a screw driver between the layers in the roof near the hatch (see first pic in post #33 for reference). In order for his tech to do this, the hatch would have to be open, furthermore I'm sure they were holding it open if they were driving with someone in the hatch so it didn't close on him. This would relieve pressure from the damper, thus preventing the squeak. We'll see though, only time will tell where this goes.

I will say that we're going to get some adhesive foam & felt from Home Depot, or whatever artsy-fartsy store we have around here, to keep the plastic panels on the hatch door from rattling so much... they sound awful all on their own.

More updates will be posted as I have them.

BTW, thanks again Tom... your help is greatly appreciated, sir. :tup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.