IW STi Forum banner

2008 STi - Broken welds + hatch damper (metal on metal squeak)... *RESOLVED[?]*

32K views 118 replies 28 participants last post by  Deek 
#1 · (Edited)
Update 2011.09.16: At this point I'm quite comfortable with saying that this issue was definitely related to the passenger side hatch damper. The issue persisted after spot welds were reinforced, and ceased after the dampers were replaced.

I am now also keeping this updated in my blog as well @ 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Hatch - "theNoise" (Broken welds = Squeak)

Car: 2008 Impreza WRX STi

Problem: Broken welds on roof support near hatch opening causing metal on metal squeaking over bumps or in turns.
Update 2011.08.27; Could this have been misdiagnosed??? <- Click for more information.

Reason denied: Originally Subaru denied claim and voided warranty stating that installation of stiffer springs caused the weld to break.
Update 2011.07.21; SOA called, they're fixing under waranty, *but*... <- Click for more information.

Summary: I installed springs on my car (320lb rates, front & rear) on 2010.09.18. I have proof of invoice and tracking information via FedEx that shows I didn't have these springs in my possession until 2011.09.16. According to the dealer's service records, I first reported this problem to them on 2010.09.08. This means that it had already been occurring and I called them to set up an appointment for them to look at it. Those notes don't go into the system until the dealer takes possession of the car, at least for my dealer.

I went to the dealer today and had them print my service records. There is a 'customer complaint' on there dated 2010.09.08 that states the following;

Complaint: Customer states that the hatch back or something will creak in the rear when driving over a rough road please check and advise...

Cause: Tech traced and found there was a rattle coming from the latch on the rear hatch back door.

Correction: Tech greased the latch and test drove to verify proper operation.
On 2010.10.08 I brought it in because the brakes were squealing, at which time the service manager noticed the hatch squeak. I told him how I've already brought it in for that and they claim they fixed it by re-greasing the latch. He said to have it looked at again at the next service.

On 2011.02.03 I brought it in for service and this is what they have noted regarding the squeak.

Complaint: Customer states that the rear hatch is squeaking please check and advise...

Cause: Tech test drove the vehicle and found the rear mat rubbing on the cargo cover and tech also found the latch in need of lubrication.

Correction: Tech completed the lubrication on the rear hatch latch and also moved the rear cargo mat from the cargo shade and test drove to verify no squeaking from the rear at this time.
On 2011.02.07 I brought it in for the squeak again, and here are the notes.

Complaint: Customer states that there is a squeaking noise coming fromt he rear hatch when driving over bumps please check and advise...

Cause: Tech test drove the vehicle and was not able to duplicate the customer's concern at this time.

Correction: No repairs made at this time.
On 2011.05.13 I brought it in for maintenance and the following was noted regarding the squeak.

Complaint: Customer states there is a metal on metal noise coming from the right rear please check and advise.

Cause: Tech found the noise coming from the drivers rear quarter panel area more time is needed to complete diag.

Correction: Customer is advised and will return at a later date.
I brought it back on 2011.05.18 and here are the notes.

Complaint: Customer states there is a squeak coming from the rear top of the vehicle when going over bumps advise...

Cause: Tech found the creek coming from the rear roof supports. Possible weld broken.

Correction: Subaru has been contacted and factory engineer will come out to inspect vehicle at customer convenience. Customer will be contacted when this is possible.
I did go back again near the end of may, so I'll need to go back and get that service record for the details... but in short the rep didn't even come look at the vehicle, he just told the service manager to deny the claim and void the warranty stating that my stiffened springs caused the issue, which is clearly not the case.

I just gathered the documents I think I'll need, and I'm stopping by the dealer tomorrow to talk to the service manager. I'll try to keep this updated.

See less See more
#32 ·
Re: 2008 STi - Broken welds on rear roof support...

Not that I want others to be experiencing this issue, but if anyone is... please get it checked out and let me know what is found via PM. If there is a similar issue with multiple cars, there might be something here to bite onto. Not really trying to sound malicious, but this is more than an annoyance, welds breaking could potentially turn into a pretty serious safety hazard.

#33 · (Edited)
Re: 2008 STi - Broken welds on rear roof support...

Just returned from my trip to the dealer and 3rd party body shop. I'm a bit more optimistic and a little less concerned about the extent of the repairs, not quite out of the water yet though.

Click images for larger views.

This first picture shows the different layers of the roof and cross-member that is welded to it, this is what's rubbing together and squeaking;

This picture here shows the spot welds that could potentially be the culprit;

The manager of the body shop is someone who I've worked with before, and said this was an issue they'd have to "kind of throw things at the wall and see what stuck." I let him and the service manager (more-so the service manager) know that I understand they're caught in the middle of this whole ordeal, but if this turns into a situation where I'm without the car for extended periods of time, numerous times, that this issue would become a lot more complex. I think we're all on the same page.

The body shop owner is going to write up an estimate and get it to the service manager, who told me I should expect to hear from him mid next week because the documents and information have to be put through their appropriate processes.

#35 · (Edited)
Re: 2008 STi - Broken welds on rear roof support (metal on metal squeak)...

I called the service manager today since I hadn't heard anything, he said that they should be ready for my car at the body shop next Tuesday (2011.08.02).

Based on a conversation I had within the past week with a fellow STi owner with fabrication experience, I'm going to make a call to the body shop to talk to the manager and potentially one of their fabricators to have them explain their approach to this repair step by step.

#36 ·

Well I missed the drop-off yesterday, I wasn't sure that it was a solid date. I rescheduled to drop the car off at the dealer next Monday (2011.08.08).

#38 ·

Yes, buy an STi. I suspect other HB owners might have this issue too but with exhaust, suspension, and chassis mods they might not be able to hear the metal to metal noise above the other added in-cabin NVH. I suggested possibly riveting the rear seam instead of cutting, welding, and painting...not to mention the possible damage, loose interior panels, creating a NEW noise, or overspray. :eek:

#39 ·

I suggested possibly riveting the rear seam instead of cutting, welding, and painting...not to mention the possible damage, loose interior panels, creating a NEW noise, or overspray. :eek:
Hey T, you've unmasked yourself! :lol:

I definitely agree with the suggestion and would probably prefer that at this point. However, one of my concerns is that there is more going on back there than just those few spot welds. So I'm inclined to let Subaru fix this using their methods. This way if more surfaces either during the repair or later-on down the road, they're still 'on the hook' to either remedy it or take other measures to rectify the situation.

#42 · (Edited)

I dropped the car off early in the morning on Monday (2011.08.08) and they brought it to the body shop shortly after. I was told I'd have it before the weekend, but checked in today and it wasn't ready. I'll check in again tomorrow.

#43 ·

After reading the sticky about warranty, it violates federal law for a warranty to be denied without first proving the modification was the cause of the failure. So any dealer who's tries to deny your warranty after seeing an aftermarket part is violating that law unless they can prove the modification was the problem.

MRT Performance of Australia can guarantee the factory warranty even with the installation of their power up kits. I don't see how it could be much different here in the states.

#44 ·

Yeah, somewhat of a bummer that I had to prove otherwise by providing documentation showing when the issue was first brought to their attention and comparing it to when I received the springs. Thankfully that was enough and they are handling it now.

My fingers are crossed, hoping that this doesn't become a recurring issue. I really don't want have to travel down the 'legal' road.

#45 ·

I called the service manager on lunch, asking for an update. "Not good" he says. Apparently the body shop is a little more than apprehensive about performing the repair for a couple reasons;

1) They didn't want to remove the roof liner.
2) Since they're going to have to 're-spot weld' things, it'll require some paint work. They're concerned about doing the paint work because the last time they did some for me, I brought it back for cleanups (ie. Drip-match daub of paint left on rear passenger door, couple small bits/chunks of paint on hood had to be removed, clearcoat overspray on wing and rear window, etc).

I'm pretty frustrated that my car has been there all week and absolutely nothing has been done. And the service manager is pretty much in the same boat, since they're fronting me a rental and it's costing them money. Well that and they know they have to deal with a less-than-pleased customer.

I'm waiting for a return call from the service manager to see if he can contact another dealer outside of the desert that may have an in-house body shop, or a more competent third party shop that isn't seemingly 'scared of taking the job.'

#47 ·

I called the service manager on lunch, asking for an update. "Not good" he says. Apparently the body shop is a little more than apprehensive about performing the repair for a couple reasons;

1) They didn't want to remove the roof liner.
2) Since they're going to have to 're-spot weld' things, it'll require some paint work. They're concerned about doing the paint work because the last time they did some for me, I brought it back for cleanups (ie. Drip-match daub of paint left on rear passenger door, couple small bits/chunks of paint on hood had to be removed, clearcoat overspray on wing and rear window, etc).

I'm pretty frustrated that my car has been there all week and absolutely nothing has been done. And the service manager is pretty much in the same boat, since they're fronting me a rental and it's costing them money. Well that and they know they have to deal with a less-than-pleased customer.

I'm waiting for a return call from the service manager to see if he can contact another dealer outside of the desert that may have an in-house body shop, or a more competent third party shop that isn't seemingly 'scared of taking the job.'
Man, I would have been so mad having to take my car back to a shop for their mess ups. What kind of bodyshop is this? I don't think they would have touched my car again after doing that stuff to it. But they would pay for the fix for sure. Sounds like the dealer took the lowest bid by a shop in order to save some cash and it bit them in the arse.

#46 · (Edited)

I had a conversation with the SOA rep that has been tracking my situation. I let her know what has transpired since our last conversation. I was calm, but let her know how frustrated I was given where we're at right now. I suggested that maybe contacting another dealer with either an in-house body shop, or another dealer that has a nearby body shop who might be more comfortable with the repair would be a better option. She understood and said that she would speak with the service manager at the dealership and find out where we're going from here.

Shortly after, the service manager called me up to give me the game plan. He's going to talk to the owner of another body shop,someone he knows, about the scope of the repair. He'll also be speaking to another shop that one of his the techs suggested. He said that he will call me early next week and make arrangements with me after the details were sorted out.

To note... I calmly vented a little on the phone, to both the service manager and the SOA rep, about some things I was less-than-happy about from this week's occurrences.

• How Enterprise (rental company they sent me to for a car) had me sitting in their lobby for 25 minutes, waiting for a car, thus making me late for a corporate meeting.
  • The obvious frustrations with how arrangements were made to bring the car in for the repair, nothing actually happening for an entire work week, and then finding out that was due to apprehensiveness from the 3rd party body shop. Why set up a time to do the work, if the shop wasn't comfortable with it in the first place?
  • The lack of service initiated communication with their client (me).
I let them both know that the longer this gets dragged out with hiccups along the road, the nastier the taste in my mouth becomes, and the more difficult it will be for them to deal with the situation. I also informed them of my thread on here. I made it clear that I wasn't really trying to be aggressive and I definitely wasn't doing this in a threatening manner, but I needed to document it and it ended up here because it started as a 'denied warranty claim.'

I'm going to pick my car up after work so I can have it for the weekend and get some work done (Group N motor & trans mounts, Kartboy shifter bushing combo, Whiteline steering rack bushings, Grimmspeed air-oil separator, and install my rear Goodridge braided lines). I'll have another update early next week as to where we're going with this.

#48 · (Edited)

Sarcasm meter is beyond maxed out as I say this... AWESOME NEWS!

A couple fun little dings surfaced above the small third window on the driver side of the car while it was not in my possession last week. I really don't know how this would have happened. Maybe someone was trying to get the weld to squeak by smacking the roof near the problem area... not quite sure.

Anyways, I will be contacting my SOA rep directly on this one first thing tomorrow morning when they're back in the office. I'm sure they'll take care of this for me, looks like these can be popped out via paintless dent removal.

Click images for higher resolutions.

#49 ·

Unreal :mad:. I'm irritated now too, after all that work we did with NO damage and some moron at the bodyshop or dealer dents the car most likely slapping the panel as you stated. Once again someone else besides you creates a problem for you and your STi. Tell SOA to sublet the work to me and I will rivet the seam in question every 1/2". Now I question our local Subie dealer even touching my car for ANYTHING. No wonder why people like to do their own maintenance and service.

#50 ·

I spoke with my SOA rep this morning, just to inform her of the dings so they're documented. I also spoke with the service manager and emailed him the pictures I've posted here. He said they'll take care of them, no problem.

He also informed me that he has already found another shop, that comes highly recommended. They guarantee that if I drop the car off tomorrow morning, it will be ready no later than Friday. I verified with the service manager that he informed the shop that I'm quite 'particular' (see; 'can be a bit of a pain in the *** towards poor work ethic ;)). He said he did, and they were just fine with that.

So I'm dropping the car off tomorrow morning, and they're giving me a dealer vehicle until I get my STi back.

#51 ·

I dropped the car off at the dealership this morning and they put me in a Legacy loaner vehicle which was ready to go so I wasn't late for work again. :tup:

I'm not sure why, but they didn't check it in like they have every other time I've dropped it off. Usually they check odometer and write up a work-order for me to sign. I documented the odometer reading and reminded them that the brakes are brand new and haven't been bedded yet so they'd know to take it easy on them.

Update: I just spoke with the service manager and they didn't check it in and create a new work order because the one from last week is still open.

#54 ·

I'm not sure why, but they didn't check it in like they have every other time I've dropped it off. Usually they check odometer and write up a work-order for me to sign. I documented the odometer reading and reminded them that the brakes are brand new and haven't been bedded yet so they'd know to take it easy on them.

Update: I just spoke with the service manager and they didn't check it in and create a new work order because the one from last week is still open.
This concerned me a bit, especially after someone with experience in dealership service departments contacted me after reading this. I just called my SOA rep and let her know that I believe a new repair order should (have been) be created for them taking another possession of the vehicle... Just for sake of proper documentation.

#56 · (Edited)

Yes, a resolution seems to be in sight, I hope anyways. I would prefer to have this fixed and enjoy my Subaru than have it continue and deal with litigations.

I forgot to mention, yesterday I stopped by the auto body shop that is taking on the repair. The owner was up front and I chatted with him a bit about their business and the situation I was in. I got a good 'vibe' from him and he seemed to be a perfectionist (his wife teased him about it), which put me a little at ease. They've been in business in the valley for 30 years, and in his current location for 20 years. The front of the shop was clean and organized and they presented themselves well.

As I was there, the service manager coincidentally pulled up with my car and we all took a look at it. He didn't seemed concerned about the type of repair and noticed the two dings I mentioned while we were talking without me having to point them out. So he's got a good eye :tup:... it's the little things that put my mind at ease.

At this point we're still on schedule for a Friday completion, though when I asked the service manager if he was going to have this new shop handle the dings, he said that he wasn't sure. I'll be calling to check in tomorrow, might even stop by the auto body shop on lunch if time permits. I'd be interested to see more than just the front area of their shop.

#57 ·

I'd be interested to see more than just the front area of their shop.
Yeah, its probably one of those clean up front, chop shop in the back type of deals. Your car is probably already in mexico by now :lol:

Only kidding. Glad things are getting worked out. This has been an almost unreal saga to read!!

Keep us posted

#58 ·

I spoke with the service manager today, the shop has performed repairs and he is going to test drive the vehicle to listen for any squeaks. He said he thinks he might have heard something, but the interior roof liner is currently removed. I suggested that he take it to a nearby road that isn't in the best shape. The few times that I've driven this road to visit my fiance for lunch, it caused a symphony of squeaking noises.

He also informed me that they're going to be handling the dings above the small third driver side window while it's in their possession. :tup:

I'll probably stop by the shop on lunch to see where we're at, but the service manager said that he'd call me later with an update.

#59 ·

Been lurking around this thread but meant to ask you something: Do you have video/soundbite of the squeaking? I'm curious as to how it sounds... Thanks and I hope that your car gets fixed.

#60 ·

Been lurking around this thread but meant to ask you something: Do you have video/soundbite of the squeaking? I'm curious as to how it sounds... Thanks and I hope that your car gets fixed.
I don't, I'm sorry... I have actually thought of doing this but never made the time to do it. It was enough for the service manager to hear it and be able to recreate on his own.

#62 ·

I'm glad they're taking care of you. It sounds like you did everything correctly to ensure nothing less.
Thanks. :)

Admittedly, I'm sometimes not the easiest customer to deal with. However it's never without reason that I can objectively and logically justify.

So I stopped by the shop and saw the rest of it. They have lot's of space there and are very professional, organized and thorough. They even take full 360 videos of the cars as they pull them in, to protect themselves and the customers from false claims one way or the other.

Small update on the situation is this... The body shop was initially unable to reproduce the squeak, but the service manager took them on a ride and were able to hear it loud and clear. He went over his 'attack plan' with me and said we're likely still good for a Friday (tomorrow) pickup.

I asked about not just performing the repair, but also fortifying the structure. We briefly discussed potential limitations to their repair scope based on Subaru's spec given that this is a crumple zone, but he agreed that we should probably reinforce it a little.

I'll check in again tomorrow.

Sorry if some believe I'm providing too much information here. I believe in concise and adequate documentation to cover all aspects of situations like this. It eliminates confusion for all parties involved and provides others with a good idea of transpired events and milestones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.