IW STi Forum banner

2008 STi - Broken welds + hatch damper (metal on metal squeak)... *RESOLVED[?]*

32K views 118 replies 28 participants last post by  Deek 
#1 · (Edited)
Update 2011.09.16: At this point I'm quite comfortable with saying that this issue was definitely related to the passenger side hatch damper. The issue persisted after spot welds were reinforced, and ceased after the dampers were replaced.

I am now also keeping this updated in my blog as well @ 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Hatch - "theNoise" (Broken welds = Squeak)

Car: 2008 Impreza WRX STi

Problem: Broken welds on roof support near hatch opening causing metal on metal squeaking over bumps or in turns.
Update 2011.08.27; Could this have been misdiagnosed??? <- Click for more information.

Reason denied: Originally Subaru denied claim and voided warranty stating that installation of stiffer springs caused the weld to break.
Update 2011.07.21; SOA called, they're fixing under waranty, *but*... <- Click for more information.

Summary: I installed springs on my car (320lb rates, front & rear) on 2010.09.18. I have proof of invoice and tracking information via FedEx that shows I didn't have these springs in my possession until 2011.09.16. According to the dealer's service records, I first reported this problem to them on 2010.09.08. This means that it had already been occurring and I called them to set up an appointment for them to look at it. Those notes don't go into the system until the dealer takes possession of the car, at least for my dealer.

I went to the dealer today and had them print my service records. There is a 'customer complaint' on there dated 2010.09.08 that states the following;

Complaint: Customer states that the hatch back or something will creak in the rear when driving over a rough road please check and advise...

Cause: Tech traced and found there was a rattle coming from the latch on the rear hatch back door.

Correction: Tech greased the latch and test drove to verify proper operation.
On 2010.10.08 I brought it in because the brakes were squealing, at which time the service manager noticed the hatch squeak. I told him how I've already brought it in for that and they claim they fixed it by re-greasing the latch. He said to have it looked at again at the next service.

On 2011.02.03 I brought it in for service and this is what they have noted regarding the squeak.

Complaint: Customer states that the rear hatch is squeaking please check and advise...

Cause: Tech test drove the vehicle and found the rear mat rubbing on the cargo cover and tech also found the latch in need of lubrication.

Correction: Tech completed the lubrication on the rear hatch latch and also moved the rear cargo mat from the cargo shade and test drove to verify no squeaking from the rear at this time.
On 2011.02.07 I brought it in for the squeak again, and here are the notes.

Complaint: Customer states that there is a squeaking noise coming fromt he rear hatch when driving over bumps please check and advise...

Cause: Tech test drove the vehicle and was not able to duplicate the customer's concern at this time.

Correction: No repairs made at this time.
On 2011.05.13 I brought it in for maintenance and the following was noted regarding the squeak.

Complaint: Customer states there is a metal on metal noise coming from the right rear please check and advise.

Cause: Tech found the noise coming from the drivers rear quarter panel area more time is needed to complete diag.

Correction: Customer is advised and will return at a later date.
I brought it back on 2011.05.18 and here are the notes.

Complaint: Customer states there is a squeak coming from the rear top of the vehicle when going over bumps advise...

Cause: Tech found the creek coming from the rear roof supports. Possible weld broken.

Correction: Subaru has been contacted and factory engineer will come out to inspect vehicle at customer convenience. Customer will be contacted when this is possible.
I did go back again near the end of may, so I'll need to go back and get that service record for the details... but in short the rep didn't even come look at the vehicle, he just told the service manager to deny the claim and void the warranty stating that my stiffened springs caused the issue, which is clearly not the case.

I just gathered the documents I think I'll need, and I'm stopping by the dealer tomorrow to talk to the service manager. I'll try to keep this updated.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Re: 2008 STi - Broken welds on rear roof support...

very interested in this. Keep it coming. Damn stealerships
The dealership has actually been quite helpful with this situation, and actually wasn't very enthused about having to tell me they wouldn't cover it, and why. They couldn't really share their view point on the situation once the regional rep provided his input though, their hands are kind of tied.

Call Subaru of America
Also they cannot void your warranty, only deny a claim based on modification.
My warranty expired 2011.05.31 anyways, so that's not a huge deal anyways. However this is an issue that they've been unable to fix for months now, and the service manager showed me in the warranty agreement where any items brought to their attention before the warranty expires would still have to be honored under warranty... if they persist past the expiration date.

I'm calling SOA tomorrow to updated them with details on the situation, I already have the case open with them that I can reference.

I will keep things updated here.

#11 ·

I called the customer support number listed on subaru.com and updated my case with them, including dates and a summary of the situation all the way up to where the regional rep denied my claim, etc.

I also called the dealer and am waiting for a call back from the service manager to set up a time to come see him, today preferably.

#13 · (Edited)

I took a late lunch and visited the dealer to provide the service manager with the following documents regarding the spring purchase/installation...

-Invoice showing purchase & ship date, associated tracking number listed.
-Dated copy of email from manufacturer that had the invoice attached.
-FedEx shipping notification email, dated.
-FedEx package progress showing delivery date (2010.09.16)

I also brought the service records he printed out for me yesterday, with the original complaint highlighted on 2010.09.08. Reminding him that was the date I left the car with him, after I had already called reporting the issue to make an appointment. Therefore had already been experiencing the issue before the drop off date.

The service manager made copies of them, faxed them to the regional rep, and told me to expect a call tomorrow (2011.07.14).

While there, I inquired about the comment that was made previously about my warranty being voided. He specified that only the warranty pertaining to this part/claim was affected, so my power train warranty is still intact. However, hopefully with this documentation, that voided warranty item can be reversed and this can be handled.

However, even if they do reverse the voided warranty and say they'll repair it, there are some interesting details about the repair I'm not enthused with. Those details I'll enclose at a later time if we get to that point.

#14 ·

Service manager informed me that he left the regional rep a message today. I asked that he keep me updated as often as possible, even if its to tell me that he hasn't heard back yet.

Patience is wearing quite thin with this issue. I ordered a brake pads, rotors, and braided lines to put on this weekend, but that's all on hold until more develops with this situation.

#15 ·

I called with service manager about a 30 minutes ago... he spoke with the regional rep today and was informed that it's going to take a couple days to look into this. The service manager said he'd call me immediately after getting getting an update from the regional rep.

I'm not quite sure what needs to be looked into, but I suppose I understand there are policies and procedures that need to be followed in a situation like this. I let him know I'd check in with him on Wednesday if I haven't heard anything.

#16 ·

I'm not quite sure what needs to be looked into
I'm sure each person in the chain has multiple things they're working on so they're not looking at your stuff right away. Rep gets it and reviews it within 24hrs. It goes to SAO and that person will look at it within 24hrs. Until it gets to a decision maker who can overturn the existing denial. Just keep following up so it doesn't go stagnant on someones desk and you'll get an answer soon enough. It's just the way it is in larger companies.

#18 ·

If you can take a pic of it that would be great. I have some creaking and ive got about 20k+ on a suspension.
I'd have to remove the headliner to do so, not sure I'll have time this weekend with work and other activities. The service manager pointed to where the plastics surrounding the hatch met up with the fabric and said "its near where the hatch hinges bolt onto the body."

#21 ·

The service manager just called to inform me that the regional rep sent the documentation 'up the chain' and is awaiting information in return. He said that he would call me back by the end of the week whether or not he has an update.

#22 · (Edited)

I received a call from Subaru of America today informing me that they are going to repair my vehicle under warranty.

Thumbs up? Not just yet... I suppose I can discuss what "interesting details" I previously mentioned.

Once they finally found the cause of the issue, the repair was initially approved and the dealer ordered a new cross-member for the roof. The body shop had all of this in their possession, but once they looked into actually doing the repair, they found that they would have to cut the roof to gain access to the welds or piece that they need to replace. They notified the dealer, who notified the regional rep. This is when the service manager informed me that the regional rep had to come see the car (see OP for 2011.05.18).

I went on the road the next week for work which gave them a week to contact me. I didn't hear anything so when I returned I called them and asked for an update as to when I should expect the regional rep to make an appointment. The service manager said he would call the regional rep to find out, and then get back to me. When the service manager called me back he informed me that the regional rep is no longer going to repair this under warranty and the warranty for this 'line item' was now void.

Anyways, while on the phone with Subaru, I requested details regarding the repair of the defect but the woman I spoke with didn't have the specifics. She said that she would contact the service manager at the dealer to discuss it with him and have him call me with that information. I expressed my concerns regarding what I already knew and how uneasy I felt about it all. Considering resale value and safety structure, I think these concerns are valid.

#24 ·

Not long after I posted last, the service manager called me saying that they wanted to get a second opinion regarding the repairs necessary. I'm going in there tomorrow to meet up with him and go to a shop to get it looked at.

#25 ·

I would have a product liability lawyer and be headed in the direction of a buy-back. Hands down no questions asked at this point in the process. Enough of the games. No way did any suspension change you made contribute to this "defect" and it is a "defect".

Post a incident report in the NHTSA's website so they can be notified. Potentially there may be others out there. Subaru didn't just build one.

GL.

#26 ·

When you say roof, do you mean the outer sheet metal panel or the actual roof bracing? There is absolutely no way in hell I would let them hack the bracing. The outer sheet metal skin though, might not care as much.

Are the welds accessible without hacking off the roof, if so see if they can get it welded and resprayed, by a third party if needed. Or even agree to have it done at a shop of your choosing at SOAs cost. I have a feeling the welds are accessible though, otherwise they'd have no way to know they've cracked. Car companies usually just like to replace parts that could be otherwise fixed, much simpler for them in terms of liability, ease, ensuring a one time fix or lack of ability / tools at a dealer. There's often times when this approach becomes silly and a repair can be properly done without replacing something and be far less hassle.

#28 · (Edited)

They brought the car to their 3rd party shop and they're the ones that said the they'd have to cut the roof to get to the welds to replace the piece. Sorry I can't provide details regarding what specific weld or piece needs repair or replacement right now, I'll hopefully get much more information tomorrow from my visit to the dealer and another 3rd party shop.

#30 ·

Man that sucks...what a PITA...best of luck. At this point they should be replacing the car in my mind but then Car companies are real mofo's about that.

A co-worker is in the midst of a lemon battle right now. They just bought a brand new chevy equinox in may and to make a long story short the car has disabled itself on the freeway, the car has started displaying stuff in turkish, the engine has been completely pulled apart twice due to knocking (currently still torn apart), and the ECU has been replaced all in 3months of ownership. The dealers have put more miles on it testing the car then they have and they still havent been able to solve the electrical problem. The car has been in the shop all but 1mth since they bought it. And Chevy still doesnt want to lemon it and have decided not to return their or their lawyers calls. I mean seriously why have lemon laws at that point...

#31 ·

Interesting... Definitely keep us updated :tup: I'd love to see some pics of what is going on. I've got some metal on metal squeaking that I can't quite tell where it's coming from. Hopefully not something like this...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.