IW STi Forum banner

2011+ STI Non Navi HU Connectors and Pin-out

63K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  SVXdc 
#1 ·
So after much searching to figure out how to keep my stock bluetooth mic, and adapt the usb and aux cables to my Avic z120bt, there was nothing for the 2011. So i ripped my stock HU apart to find the pin-outs. Here they are...

the pinouts i wrote are for the stereo side, mirror it for the harness

USB (Male Connector looking at the back of the stereo)

____
|1 2|
|3 4|
-----

1. VBUS
2. GND
3. DATA -
4. DATA +

AUX Connector (Male Connector looking at the back of the stereo)

________ ___ _______
| |_| |_| |
|1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 |
|9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 |

1. N.C.
2. MIC SHIELD
3. SUBW+
4. SUB CONT (continous?)
5. AUX R+
6. AUX L+
7. MICDET (NOT SURE WHAT ITS FOR)
8. MIC IN
9. N.C.
10. N.C
11. SUBW-
12. SUBW SHIELD
13. AUX ON
14. AUX-LR-
15. MICDET
16. MICGND

The 20 Pin is still the same for the speakers, can, etc. connectors follow link below.Subaru 20-pin radio harness pin-out

hope this helps, please correct any errors i may have

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Brilliant! :beer:

You've [started us down the road to a solution for] the current hot question -- 'how to retain the OEM mic with an aftermarket HU'. You've also confirmed my suspicion that the premium HU has a line-level subwoofer output (similar to the Navi HU and HUs in some recent Forester models). :cool:

ADDED: The sub output may be working in some Foresters. I think the needed components are unpopulated in Impreza HUs.

BTW, this thread is about the Subaru OEM HU, made by Clarion, with built-in USB and Bluetooth, but just a simple display. Picture:
This is not the Pioneer AVIC-U310BT that some Canadian models get.

First, let's change the pin numbers to match Subaru's wiring diagrams...

Aux/Mic/Sub socket
Code:
Subaru's pin numbering
(viewing rear of OEM HU or wires side of car's harness):
 _   ________________   _
| ---                --- |
| 8  7  6  5  4  3  2  1 |
|16 15 14 13 12 11 10  9 |
 ------------------------

Corresponding numbering on PC board:
  2  4  6  8 10 12 14 16
  1  3  5  7  9 11 13 15

PCB   Subaru   Description                  OEM Color
---   ------   --------------------------   ------------
16       1     Mic In (+)                   White/Black
14       2     Mic B+ (+5V supply)          Gray
12       3     Aux In Left +                Yellow
10       4     Aux In Right +               Blue
 8       5     Subwoofer Amp Turn-On        -
 6       6     Subwoofer Out + (positive)   -
 4       7     Mic Shield                   -
 2       8     NC                           -

15       9     Mic In Ground (-)            Violet/Red
13      10     Mic Detect                   Black/Blue
11      11     Aux Audio Ground             Shield
 9      12     Aux Enable                   Black/Orange
 7      13     Subwoofer Shield             -
 5      14     Subwoofer Out - (inverted)   -
 3      15     NC                           -
 1      16     NC                           -
Most people shouldn't worry about the PC board pin numbers. I've included them here for people who want to match them up to aacordon's picture.

Aux Input

The aux input is electrically the same as in previous years. When you plug something into the car's jack, the jack connects the Aux Enable pin to chassis ground (not audio ground). This tells the HU to let you switch into aux mode. When the enable line is floating (nothing plugged in), the aux button doesn't work.

Note that when there is nothing plugged in, the aux jack shorts the Left and Right input wires to audio ground (to minimize noise going into the HU). Remember this if you want to keep your OEM jack and splice in a second aux device.

To connect the OEM jack to an aftermarket HU, all you'll need are pins 3 (Left), 4 (Right), and 11 (Ground).

BT Microphone Input

We've discovered (see posts below) that the OEM mic is inside a module with a small amplifier circuit. It is not directly compatible with aftermarket HUs.

The car's harness connects Mic Detect (Subaru pin 10, labeled "MIC DET" on the HU's circuit board) to ground. I suspect this tells the HU to enable handsfree functions.

The HU's Pin 2 (what I previously called Mic Detect A -- misleadingly labeled "MIC DET" on the circuit board) sends +5V to power the mic module.

Pin 1 is the audio signal (+) from the mic to the HU. Pin 9 is the ground for the mic and its amp circuit. See pictures and posts below.

Subwoofer Output (not functional on this Impreza HU)

The sub out is the same as on the Impreza/Forester Navi HU and some recent Forester non-nav HUs. The output is balanced (differential) mono. It is not left and right stereo.

To connect to an amplifier that doesn't accept a balanced signal, send the HU's positive output (pin 6) and the shield (pin 13) to your amp's line-level input. On the Navi HUs, tying the inverted output (pin 14) to the subwoofer shield will increase the signal on the positive output. That will likely work for this HU too.

If your amp has two inputs, you may need to use a Y adapter to feed the OEM HU's positive sub out into both of the amp's inputs. Do not connect both of the HU's outputs into separate inputs on the amp -- the signals will cancel each other out, and you won't hear anything.

Pin 5 is a standard amp remote turn-on (has +12V when your HU is on). You can use this for a speaker amplifier or other accessories. Watch your current draw -- I recommend staying under 200mA total. If in doubt, use a relay with a low-current coil (not one of those monster 30 Amp automotive relays).

It's a good bet that the aux/mic harness in some 2011 Forester models will have wires on the subwoofer pins.

It looks like the Impreza HUs don't get the sub output. So the upcoming subwoofer accessory for Imprezas will probably have a T-harness that taps into a pair of the main speaker outputs

#3 ·
Cool. I'll need this to wire in the factory Mic for my Pioneer. If my '11 will ever get here that is.

SVXdc - so this means I only need to connect two of the three wires on the adapter I received from you?

#4 · (Edited)
Cool. I'll need this to wire in the factory Mic for my Pioneer. If my '11 will ever get here that is.
Well, at least you can wire up all of your harnesses while you're waiting and be ready to go.

SVXdc - so this means I only need to connect two of the three wires on the adapter I received from you?
Yes, I'm fairly sure pins 1 and 9 will be all you need. [ADDED: I was wrong. See replies below]

As for retaining OEM the USB jack, since some Canadian 2011 Imprezas have an AVIC-U310BT (see this thread), the USB adapter cable should be available as a replacement part, either from Subaru or Pioneer. Probably will be expensive, but might still be better than the time/effort/materials it would take to hack together something to plug into the car's harness or socket.

#5 · (Edited)
I'm working on getting pictures of the mic right now. I had bought the 16-pin harness (with only three wires for the Bluetooth mic) from SVXdc previously but ended up not using it since the Clarion HU had a built-in mic on the face. I ended up returning the Clarion for various reasons and just installed a AVIC-X920BT last night and want to really use the existing OEM mic. Let's get this all sorted out ASAP. Stay tuned for pics. My wedding photography setup is missing the macro lens since a buddy is borrowing it but I will see what I can do while I take out the map light/mic housing.

#6 · (Edited)
Okay, I was able to get some pictures of these. Forgive me if they came out blurry. Here's a link to the full gallery of everything I took pics of. The original larger sizes can be viewed here as well. Subaru Mic - a set on Flickr

Here is the view of the female map/mic harness. In looking directly at the pins, here is the color coding of the wires.

-----------
1 2 3 4
5 6
-----------

1: N/C
2: Blue
3: Red
4: Yellow
5 & 6: For map lights only...

Here is wiring of the male mic harness that leads back into the car. This is looking directly at the pins.

-----------
1 2 3 4
5 6
-----------

1: White/Black
2: Gray
3: Violet/Red
4: N/C
5 & 6: For map lights only...

Here's some shots of the inside of the mic after opening it. There isn't anything I could really see in writing on the PCB. Mainly a lot of C7, R5, etc. The white and black thin wires are for the microphone itself. I unscrewed the PCB to see if there would be anything under it and there is nothing. Simply solder joints.

And the connection.

Blue female to Violet/Red male
Red female to Gray male
Yellow female to White/Black male

Hope that helps in any way.

-Mike

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks, Mike, for opening up your mic and uploading all of those pictures!

Here's how Subaru numbers the 6-pin connector (which they designate R56 in models without the sunroof, or R62 in models with sunroof):

Viewing pins side of car's harness plug
(or wires side of overhead console's socket):
Code:
1     2
3 4 5 6

Pin   Function    Car's wire    Map/Mic Pod
---   ---------   -----------   -----------
 1    Ground      Black         Gray      (to map lights)
 2    +12V Bat.   Blue/Green    Green     (to map lights)
 3    -           NC            NC
 4    Mic In -    Violet/Red    Blue
 5    Mic Det A   Gray          Red
 6    Mic In +    White/Black   Yellow
Here are cropped versions of your close-ups of the mic's PC board

(click to see larger images)
I've mirrored the rear view (so it's as if you can see through the front) to make it easier to trace the circuit.

Looks like quite a few resistors and capacitors, and at least one transistor. With these better-focused shots of the front and back (with the black and white wires lifted out of the way), I can try to make out the circuit.
I'm starting to wonder if the 3rd wire coming from the HU (what I'm calling 'Mic Detect A') provides a voltage to this circuit. Could be simply to power an amplification stage, or perhaps even some kind of HU-controlled variable gain.

So can someone take a voltmeter to the HU's Mic Detect A pin (pin 2 on the 16-pin aux socket) with the aux/mic harness unplugged, and see if the HU is sending out a voltage? [ADDED: A 2011 owner told me it's +5V]

Here's Sonic Electronix's page for the AVIC-U310BT (discontinued). Their close-up of the AVIC's mic shows its 2.5mm plug only has 2 pins. In the Canadian Imprezas with that AVIC as the "factory" HU, if they're connecting anything to the OEM mic's 3rd wire, either it's one of those two pins, or it's coming from somewhere else besides the HU. [ADDED: Canadian Imprezas with the U310BT use a Pioneer mic on top of the steering column. I don't know if the Subaru mic is even present in the overhead location]

#8 ·
Here's the best I could do with the PCB of the mic. I found an old school digicam with Macro that has a battery that lasts all of a minute. Hope this helps. Unfortunately, I won't be able to test the HU output on the "Mic Detect A" wire because I do not have either a voltmeter or the stock HU at the moment.

Also, for what it is worth, the Bluetooth mic that came with the X920BT is the exact same as the U310BT.

-Mike

#9 · (Edited)
Excellent! I've added cropped versions to my previous post. When I have more time, I'll figure out the circuit.

Can you read anything printed on the transistor (5-pin device Q1) or on the brown-colored capacitors?

I can make out all of the resistors except maybe R6. Is that "392"?

The input wires appear to be labeled in Japanese. Can anyone translate?

There is one more label at the very bottom (between C11 and C10), and near the pads for the black and white microphone wires.

#10 ·
Excellent! I've added cropped versions to my previous post. When I have more time, I'll figure out the circuit.

Can you read anything printed on the transistor (5-pin device Q1) or on the brown-colored capacitors?

I can make out all of the resistors except maybe R6. Is that "392"?

The input wires appear to be labeled in Japanese. Can anyone translate?There is one more label at the very bottom (between C11 and C10), and near the pads for the black and white microphone wires.
Okay this should help answer more of the puzzle.

On the transistor, it reads (looking at the PCB head-on with the Q1 marking denoting the upper left corner of the transistor):

------
0 4 1
* 2 1
------

The numbers are actually rotated 90* CCW on the transistor itself. The asterisk is actually more of a "dot" from what I could tell with my loupe.

There are no markings I can make out on any of the brown capacitors. They simply look blank.

R6 is indeed "392".

-Mike

#14 ·
WOW.. I have to say I am subscribed and reading through this thread with much much much anticipation. I have a Subaru on order and am desperate to know how/when/what/if I can replace the head unit with something else... and like many I am interested a solution that retains the use of the 'trinity' of steering wheel bluetooth controls, built-in overhead bluetooth microphone AND the armrest glovebox.

Not looking to high jack the technical conversation but shouldn't it be the case that since the Canadian STI's be ordered from the factory (or dealer install?) with an 'aftermarket' Pioneer AVIC-U310BT head unit *and* (I recently found out) someone with that head unit installed can just drop in another Pioneer unit....

... assuming the wiring on the 'Subaru end' is the same here in the states as it is in Canada... wouldn't all the parts be already made and available at a Subaru dealer (or maybe from Japan?) to recreate what they do in Canada to get the 'Subaru end' connected with the 'Pioneer' in a factory way?

Don't get me wrong.. major respect for what you guys are doing.. but there is absolutely no way I could even have the circuit board reading, soldering, electrical engineering prowess to make my own solution.

I would be QUITE happy to buy an aftermarket solution (like Radio Wiring Adapter (Harness) for Subaru Impreza and Forester) but that covers only the Subaru audio side working with an aftermarket headunit.. as far as I know there is nothing like that exists for that trinity 'trinity' of steering wheel bluetooth controls, built-in overhead bluetooth microphone AND the armrest glovebox... and while we are at it there is maybe even a part in Canada that is programed specifically to get the steering wheel audio controls working specifically with a Pioneer head unit (the AVIC-U310BT) no? I'm assuming whatever steering wheel control input goes into the AVIC-U310BT will drop into another Pioneer unit no problem, no?

I wish I were more familiar with electrical engineering because the conversations are TRULY fascinating... I just guess I am trying to arrive at the same solution through a different strategy -- ordering parts from Canada. ;-)

It's been a few days since the last post.. anyone made any more progress??

Anyone have thoughts on my thinking around parts being available in Canada to get our STI's (and their steering wheel audio controls, phone controls, bluetooth mic and armrest USB) here in the States playing nicely with Pioneer head units like the STI's in Canada apparently do..?

- Chris

Anyon

#15 ·
Any chance you guys can look into this? SVXdc already helped a lot on nasioc.

Hey,

I've been looking through your stereo FAQ and there is some great information.

2008 OEM Navigation

So as I am sure you have experienced when driving and playing a DVD the voices are very low. I have to max out the stereo volume just to hear speaking, and even then it isn't great. I've also played with the wide and narrow angle controsl. As we both know a center channel is designed to play these voices, but we do not have one.

If you look at the Nav menu controls there is a page that gives you the ability to turn the Subwoofer on and off (optional subwoofer). That screen also allows a Center Speaker to be turned on and off.

I spoke to SOA who said that a Center Speaker is offered in other markets (Japan or Europe id assume).

Do you have any idea which pin or connector would be for a Center Speaker out? I would like to connect a speaker (such as a Pioneer TS-CX7).

Thanks!
The Navi HU may have a center channel output after all.

Information about the 20-pin socket (for the iPod and sat radio accessories) shows pin 1 listed as 'center audio gnd' and pin 11 as 'center out'. I still don't know whether it's speaker-level or line-level.

So can anyone test this?

Looking at the rear of the HU, with the socket's thumb latch at the top, pin 1 is at the far right top, and pin 11 is below that.

Remember that you'll probably need to turn on the menu option for the center channel. On the other hand, it's possible the output may always be active, and the menu option simply alters the way the audio gets mixed to all of the speakers.

ADDED: I'm pretty sure it's not speaker level.

#17 ·
Thanks for trying. Sorry it didn't work with just the two pins.

Last night, I looked at the PC board and made a first draft of the schematic. I'll post that after I've cleaned it up a bit.

The 5-pin device "Q1" is definitely some kind of amplifier IC. It may be a run-of-the-mill op amp. I haven't been able to match the number printed on it.

BTW, the dot printed on it designates pin 1. The white dot on the PC board shows where pin 1 should be placed during assembly.

The Blue wire is definitely ground. That corresponds to pin 9 on the HU's 16-pin aux/mic harness.

Yellow is definitely the mic audio output from the PC board (sent to the input into the HU). That's pin 1 on the HU's harness.

Red does provide power -- both to the amp IC and to the OEM mic.

Normally, with a 2-pin connection to a mic, the signal line also provides power to the mic. However, this PC board has capacitors that will block any DC power coming from an aftermarket HU on the Yellow wire. So power must be sent to the Red wire.

It may work to simply tie pin 2 to pin 1 (on the 16-pin aux/mic harness). That will send an aftermarket HU's mic power to the portions of the OEM circuit that need power and simultaneously send the OEM mic audio into the HU's mic audio input.

We're really close to getting this working. We just need for someone to plug in the OEM HU and measure the voltage on pin 2 on the HU (with the car's 16-pin harness unplugged). You may need to connect pin 10 to ground to tell the HU to enable the mic power (try measuring without and then with pin 10 grounded).

Alternatively, someone with a Canadian model with the AVIC-U310BT could take a close look at the OEM wiring adapter: Check to see whether it's getting power only from the AVIC's mic jack, or via a wire to somewhere else. The latter could possibly include a resistor or small circuit to drop +12V down to something lower. Using just a voltmeter would tell us a lot -- the voltage being sent from the AVIC (on the tip pin of the 2.5mm mic socket) and the voltage being sent to the OEM mic on pin 2 on the 16-pin aux/mic harness.

#18 · (Edited)
Hi aacordon,

Thank you for posting the great pictures here.
It is a little off topic question, but I am hoping someone can answer my question here. The first picture shows a 4 pin connector for USB at the back of 2011+ Non Navi HU. Is there any place where I can buy this 4 pin male harness (or connector) to connect directly to the end female connector of USB wires coming to the back of the stereo? If possible, I want to connect the USB wires to my AVIC Z120BT without cutting original wires. Similarly, is there any place where I can buy a harness for 16 pin AUX plugs? Please let me know if you have any idea in getting the harness. Thanks.

#20 ·
Sorry for the really late response. I have been extremely busy with work and just hooked up the adapter i made to get the usb working. I did not use a male adapter. I have a ton of male pins for harnesses from robotics projects i had laying around so i just used those. Think about a male harness w/o the plastic part and plugged it in. The pins i used fit snug and the shrink tubing keeps the wires isolated.

Still cant figure out how to get the mic working. once i get everything done ill post pics

#21 · (Edited)
Here's some information on the 4-pin plug on the car's factory USB harness. If anyone spots that connector on the end of some device's cable, let us know -- it might be cheaper/easier to get that cable and cannibalize it.

I've also learned that the Canadian models with the Pioneer AVIC-U310BT do not use the OEM mic or the normal aux and USB harnesses. So there are no factory adapters to convert those to the Pioneer. Incidentally, they use a custom PAC SWI-PS, with its wires hard-wired to the module (doesn't have the SWI's normal harness plug/socket).

Those Canadian models use the Pioneer's mic, clipped above the visor. The factory aux and USB harnesses are taped back, and alternate harnesses plug directly into the back of the U310BT. I haven't seen how those connect to the center console aux+USB "pod." They could just be soldered directly to the PC board inside.

I still need to clean up my schematic that I wrote on a napkin. It still won't help too much until we can figure out what the 5-pin component "Q1" is.

#25 ·
Here's some information on the 4-pin plug on the car's factory USB harness. If anyone spots that connector on the end of some device's cable, let us know -- it might be cheaper/easier to get that cable and cannibalize it.

I've also learned that the Canadian models with the Pioneer AVIC-U310BT do not use the OEM mic or the normal aux and USB harnesses. So there are no factory adapters to convert those to the Pioneer. Incidentally, they use a custom PAC SWI-PS, with its wires hard-wired to the module (doesn't have the SWI's normal harness plug/socket).

Those Canadian models use the Pioneer's mic, clipped above the visor. The factory aux and USB harnesses are taped back, and alternate harnesses plug directly into the back of the U310BT. I haven't seen how those connect to the center console aux+USB "pod." They could just be soldered directly to the PC board inside.

I still need to clean up my schematic that I wrote on a napkin. It still won't help too much until we can figure out what the 5-pin component "Q1" is.
I pulled my head-unit out for a couple minutes the other day just to see what it was like back there. Thank you for answering my "what the heck is this connector taped back here for" question. I also noticed something interesting on my car. It appears that there is a cable that looks similar to and IP Bus cable run from the head unit to the center console, but not plugged into anything on either end. Does anyone know it's purpose?

I will be upgrading to an AVIC Z130BT (today if I'm lucky :)), so while I'm doing the install I can take any pictures or look at anything in the car that anyone needs/wants.

#22 ·
Finally finished late last night. Everything works, the aux and the usb in the center console. I gave up on figuring out how to connect the amp for the stock mic, so i took it out and used the casing to hold the pioneer mic in place. I then used the existing harness for the stock mic in order not to run any new wires. Below are pics:

#24 ·
Hi folks, I am actually a Forester owner. I have a 2011 XT Premium. My car has what appears to be a unique new for 2011 head unit. I really love the car but the radio and the Bluetooth integration is just awful. I am trying to swap out the OEM head unit with a Pioneer AVH-P3300BT. I think this is the unit that comes closes to what you guys have called the "Holly Trinity" of integration. The steering wheel controls should work with an Aaxess adopter. The center console USB and Aux connectors are unnecessary because the HU has a front SD card and USB connector. That leaves the microphone.

I have posted a picture of the back of the OEM unit below. It seems to me that the black connector, one of the two with a blue circle could be the microphone wire. (The other one is the USB connector). Have any of you seen a wire and a connector like this before? Is that really the microphone connector? Thank you in advance for your answer.

[/IMG]

#26 ·
Did the swap to the Z130 last night. Here's some info:

I probably should have mentioned in my previous post that I've got a Canadian Sport Tech with U310BT.

OEM wiring is present for USB and AUX in center console. The USB plug is and independant cable and runs from behind the deck to the center console. Whoever installed the Pioneer simply zip ties the connectors for this cable out of the way. I removed the entire cable from my car without much difficulty.

The aux cable is run in the same loom as the normal stereo harness and is not removeable. The connector is tucked out of the way in the center console since there is nothing for it to plug into.

New USB/AUX line gets run from the deck to the center console. They are USB/3.5mm jack on one end and both terminate at a single connector at the other end. This single plug plugs into a PCB inside the center console USB/AUX panel which has a surface mount 3.5mm jack and USB plug. I removed the connector with much difficulty, it appeared to be superglued in as well as the USB/AUX panel was superglued together. This cable was also run from the deck to the center console.

In my attempt to clean everything up as I was installing, I removed the OEM USB line as well as the USB/AUX line from the U310. In the end I am now left with the USB/AUX/VIDEO cable from the Z130 run from the deck to the center console (and just dangling out the hole left from the removed OEM panel).

I plan on trying to make a replacement panel that will terminate the Z130's USB/AUX connectors at a panel mounted in the center console. I am currently having difficulty finding a panel mount USB port though. I may have to get a circuit board made similarly to the way it was done OEM.

Black Pioneer power connector is the same for the U310 and the Z130. A couple pins had to be moved/added to make the wiring work. The PAC SWI module works as it did from the factory, however it appears to not be programmable. I tried to reset it to see if I could get the voice dial to work with no success. I may end up replacing it with an another newer one that can support the voice dial button on the steering wheel.

Something else to note is they wired in an auxilary power harness as well. It looks like a standard power harness for an add on accessory (like a sirius or xm tuner). The harness is just bundled up and zip tied to the main harness. They must have done this in order to make adding sattelite radio easier for the dealer.

As for the microphone, the pioneer microphone from the U310 was clipped to the headliner near the rear view mirror. I removed the OEM mic from the map light console and stuck the pioneer microphone in that spot. It's hidden now, but I haven't made a phone call so I don't know how it affects call quality.

I have some pictures off of my phone I can toss up here if anyone wants to see.

#27 ·
I was able to do it with all the original parts and harness. I made my own pcb for the panel in the center console which was a direct replacement for it. It utilized the old harness connectors and usb port. I changed out the 3.5mm trs jack it had for a trrs jack from digi-key. Its looks completely stock and no custom panel needed.

#29 ·
So i made the harness adapters which were pictured above, however i cut the usb/av cable that hooks up to the stereo and soldered the pins directly onto it. This made the cable much shorter vs just plugging in my adapter.

4 pins from the stereo av cable went into the USB harness , and 4 went to into the auxilary harness. USB it was 5v, GND, TX, RX. AUX the typical Left, Right, GND, and i used the Aux enable wire from the harness as the Video line.

The stock panel that goes into harness will work with the USB just fine however the 3.5mm jack only supports audio but has support for 5 wires which allows me to use the existing harness with ease.

I ordered a replacement jack, trrs which is a 4 pole 3.5mm jack. Then made my own pcb to replace the stock one, utilizing the original harness connectors and usb connector.

#31 ·
See this...

The 20 Pin is still the same for the speakers, can, etc. connectors follow link below.Subaru 20-pin radio harness pin-out
I make harnesses with all of the SWC pins/wires so you don't have to hack into your factory wires. Contact me for details.

In 2011 cars with the phone/Bluetooth buttons on the steering wheel, there is one new pin used on that harnsess -- pin 13.

The resistors inside the SWCs are completely different in cars with the phone buttons vs. older models without the phone buttons. See this post.

#32 ·
I actually don't care for the hang up/call buttons for phone use, they work nicely as the next/previous album, or programmed radio station. Always had the habit of turning off my phone in the car, so i wouldn't use them for their intended purpose anyways. The voice command button still works as designed.

For convenience i would recommend people use your harness, for me it was just faster to hack my own. I'm an impatient tinkerer. :)

When i take everything apart again to wire up my sub, i will post pictures of all the harnesses in their final form. They look nothing like the one i posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.