IW STi Forum banner

rear differential temp sensor

49K views 80 replies 33 participants last post by  Patmich 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
so i snapped mine while changing the rear diff oil.

there was actually 2 nuts there, 1 for the sensor seat, 1 for the actual sensor. i removed the actual sensor since i only had a 19mm deepsocket and nothing fit the other nut. while re-tightening it per 60nm torque spec i guess they were referring to the second nut and not the actual sensor.

anyone know the part number for the temp sensor,
also whats the size socket for the main nut that goes into the differential where the sensor sits. i tried a 21mm as the largest size i had and that didn't fit.

#5 · (Edited)
Throw me in the "snapped sensor" club. I am soooo pissed!! Oh well, live and learn. Anyone know the torque specs for that sensor? My service manual said 44.3 ft/lbs but I am living proof that is WRONG!!! I did not even get close to 44.3 ft/lbs before I felt $120 slip through my hands.:tdown:

#7 ·
I'm glad I'm not the only one that did this, I felt like a complete idiot today. I also didn't have a deep 22mm to get to the larger drain plug so I used the 19 to get the sensor out and when I put it back in I was also torquing to the wrong spec apparently because it snapped really easy :(

Luckily I found a plug to put in place of the sensor until I buy a new one. I guess I'll have the rear diff temp light staring at me for a while :lol:

#16 ·
I tried to do that with mine but my sensor cracked on the threads and I didn't want to risk it. Luckily, I found a nice little plug from ACE hardware in their misc bolts/screws section. It was in a box labeled automotive plugs. That has worked out for me until I grab another sensor. Just make sure you put some loctite on the plug if you use my quick fix.

#25 ·
So iwas just changing the rear diff fluid and really wish I read this thread. I over torqued the sensor and it sliced right off. The threads from the sensor are still actually in the bigger bolt. I am going to buy a new sensor but im not sure if I can get the old sensor out of the bigger bolt. Any ideas?

#37 ·
It's super easy. There's a couple threads that have pics in the How To section but it's basically just taking the two plugs out of the rear diff, drain all the fluid, then put the bottom plug back in and fill the fluid until it starts coming out the top hole and then plug the top hole up and you're done.

It's a pain getting the fluid back into the rear diff so I bought this small $10 hand pump that screws on the top of like any fluid bottle and I just use that to pump the fluid into the rear diff.

#40 ·
I ordered a new sensor, cost me $160 from Subaru. I don't know why my dealer charged me so much.

Anyway, the sensor comes with the bolt that it screws into. So you replace the whole assembly, not just the sensor.

#41 ·
I ordered a new sensor, cost me $160 from Subaru. I don't know why my dealer charged me so much.
Always ask if they can give you a better price. Especially if you have a general idea of what it should cost.
All the part's guys I ever dealt with either tell me they'll give me the normal price up front, or if they quote their high margin price I ask them and they usually will drop it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.