IW STi Forum banner

OEM Turbo boost gauge red light mod - **with pics!**

Interior 
40K views 90 replies 50 participants last post by  serialheroes 
#1 ·
Well before I jumped in and converted my OEM boost gauge to red, I did a search on here to see if I could find some pictures of what I was going to get myself into. I didn't find any threads with pictures or complete instructions, so I figured I would put pictures of mine up...I know it's fairly simple, but I'm sure there are others out there who wouldn't mind seeing these for future reference.

First of all, let me say that the rubber housing around the boost gauge has a really, really good grip on the gauge. It took some time, a few flathead screwdrivers, and some sore thumbs before I got the gauge out of there...

When you are getting the screwdrivers in there, you need to stretch the rubber housing and stick the flathead in (if you don't stretch it by hand, the screwdriver won't make it very far in there). Also, avoid putting a screwdriver at the top (12 o'clock position) as the power connector is there and you don't want to break it. I didn't know this until I had the gauge out, so avoid that mistake. One last picture with the white gauge, just so people can see the difference...

After the gauge was out, I unplugged the brown power connector (it is at the top of the gauge, just a simple push and it slid right off). There is a small black piece under this power connector - it holds the bulb. Turn it counter-clockwise (if you are facing the back of the gauge) and with about a quarter-turn it will come out. Pull it straight out - the OEM gauge has a blue bulb condom on it. I tried to pull the condom off without tearing it, but it's very thin and rips easily.

The hole in the picture below is where the bulb came out of (sorry, it's a crappy, blurry picture)

The red bulb condoms (ordered from parts express, these are the ones I bought) are a little longer than the bulb, so I had to cut off about 1/4" from the end.

All ready to go back in...

Line the gauge up with "TURBO" horizontally (unless you want to rotate it...) and then push it back into the rubber cup. Here's how it turned out:

Yes, the red needle on the boost gauge is a bit hard to see, but the white lighting on the boost gauge used to glare a lot, and this is much easier on the eyes at night.

See less See more
#6 ·
Re: RE: evil car

Thanks guys, I figured I'd show some of the others what they are getting into :)

I added some tips regarding the screwdrivers - don't put one up at the top (12 o'clock, above where it says "TURBO") because the power connector is up there and you don't want to accidentally snap it with a screwdriver. 15 hours later and my thumbs are still sore from pulling on that rubber housing :lol:

#8 ·
RE: Re: RE: New tires on ride but I got rubbing!

Paperchasin said:
good job!!! i would've gone with an omori 45mm gauge myself, since its already red lit and slightly larger....
My car came with the OEM boost gauge, or else I would have saved up for the Defi BF's...I figure this is a good middle-ground solution, and I don't have to put up with that annoying white glare anymore! :D

#9 ·
Re: RE: turbo timer?

cool.

#10 ·
nandanrp said:
Paperchasin said:
good job!!! i would've gone with an omori 45mm gauge myself, since its already red lit and slightly larger....
My car came with the OEM boost gauge, or else I would have saved up for the Defi BF's...I figure this is a good middle-ground solution, and I don't have to put up with that annoying white glare anymore! :D
i kno wut u mean.... but wut i meant was that u could squeeze an omori 45mm gauge into that lil cup if u wanted to and replace that quarter-sized gauge...

#15 ·
SpeedFactory said:
This is a great write up. I will be doing this soon.

Paperchasin: I like your idea of squeezing in the larger omori gauge in there as well. If it's an easy unplug and plug n go then I'll probably do it.
Not sure how easy swapping the Omori gauge in would be. That thick black line at the bottom of the gauge is a vacuum line (I believe), so if the Omori gauge also uses a vacuum line, and you can get the old line off easily, then I'd say it's worth a look. I'm happy with the look of the stock gauge for now...if I feel the need for a bigger one I'll be going with the Defi BF :D

#19 ·
RE: Hello

I swapped in the Omori gauge in the stock gauge housing. PITA for sure!!! Also, you really have to get the gauge in fully, or else the back part of the steering wheel will hit the gauge face (ask me how I know this.) The bonus is that I now get to read boost in PSI, and not some inferior metric reading.

#20 ·
Hehe - metric is for real engineers and scientists. Not those that play on the weekend. :D

I am amazed at the persistance to get the stocker out of the housing without removing the housing from the steering wheel column! Wow! One slip with the screwdriver would have caused all sorts of damage...

#21 ·
Datadatum said:
Hehe - metric is for real engineers and scientists. Not those that play on the weekend. :D

I am amazed at the persistance to get the stocker out of the housing without removing the housing from the steering wheel column! Wow! One slip with the screwdriver would have caused all sorts of damage...
Yeah, I guess it was a bit risky. However, I read other posts on this board saying that it really wasn't necessary to remove the housing from the column...and I wasn't forcing the screwdrivers in, I stretched the rubber housing by hand and then stuck the screwdrivers in so that the housing remained stretched - so really, I don't think I could have "stabbed" anything with the screwdrivers had I slipped...

Whatever, hopefully everyone else that does it this way will be lucky as well :p

#23 ·
And let me be another one to say "thanks, man, awesome writeup, I'm doin this one tomorrow!!!" And I really am, because I still have leftover bulb condoms from doing the HVAC and key light....stuff like this keeps a smile on my face... :D

Update: did it. Another excellent mod, no problems whatsoever. I actually wanted to take it for a ride in the dark just to view the boost guage; it looks outstanding now. Thanks again!! Just need to dye my steering wheel black now...

#25 ·
I was motivated, so pulled my gauge apart today, looks like the bulb is as shown here:
http://www.goodmart.com/products/215797.htm
if that is true, then one of these:
http://www.goodmart.com/products/435604.htm
should work as well. I'm debating going to radio-shack and getting a 276-209 RED LED, which i'd solder into the base, but should work as well.
Looking in digikey, it appears to be a t1 3/4 wedge bulb.
Digi has direct replacement bulbs for $5.35 (part #1511a25ur3)
only problem is the $25 min order. Wish I needed some other stuff from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.