Go Back   STI Forums > > > Engine ELH Header Install

Old 07-16-17, 06:42 PM   #31
killerbmotorsport
Authorized Vendor
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Car: Blue 05 WRX STi
Fav Mod: It's all good
My Subaru Parts for sale

killerbmotorsport is a jewel in the roughkillerbmotorsport is a jewel in the roughkillerbmotorsport is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: ELH Header Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX STIG View Post
If running WOT in 5th and 6th was a no-no, it would be mentioned in the owner's manual. It would also mean these cars could never be competitive on the track.
I think there's a significant difference between a stock tune, or stock classed competitive car, and making +600whp on E85 running 1/2 mile events. Stock classed competition cars also do not run stock tunes, although they do need to maintain certain OEM conditions like maximum target boost levels. From my own personal exposure, the stock class tunes are made more conservative to make sure things stay reliable on track. A DNF is the racers biggest fear.

My statement may have been an over generalization, but considering most of us on here are not at stock levels, having a good understanding of how boost builds and is controlled under WOT in 1st vs 6th gear is some decent information to have. Several other conditions change as speeds (and continuous load) increase from non-aero to high aero conditions as well.

This is based on my own personal experiences in this industry in regards to motorsports specific to the Subaru/EJ platform. I'm not saying it's right for everyone, it's just based on my own personal exposure and experiences. I'm sure there are many others that have their own philosophies for tuning for certain conditions, and that's cool too.

OEM Oil Pickup Failures vs. The Ultimate Oil Pickup

V2 High Performance Aluminum OIL PAN

Brushed Delrin Shift knobs - Grab Our Knobs - It's Good Shift! CLICK HERE!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-17, 06:48 PM   #32
MTUBS
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Black 2017 STI
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

MTUBS is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbmotorsport View Post
I think there's a significant difference between a stock tune, or stock classed competitive car, and making +600whp on E85 running 1/2 mile events. Stock classed competition cars also do not run stock tunes, although they do need to maintain certain OEM conditions like maximum target boost levels. From my own personal exposure, the stock class tunes are made more conservative to make sure things stay reliable on track. A DNF is the racers biggest fear.

My statement may have been an over generalization, but considering most of us on here are not at stock levels, having a good understanding of how boost builds and is controlled under WOT in 1st vs 6th gear is some decent information to have. Several other conditions change as speeds (and continuous load) increase from non-aero to high aero conditions as well.

This is based on my own personal experiences in this industry in regards to motorsports specific to the Subaru/EJ platform. I'm not saying it's right for everyone, it's just based on my own personal exposure and experiences. I'm sure there are many others that have their own philosophies for tuning for certain conditions, and that's cool too.
In other words ... run your stage 2+ tune on stock injectors in 5th and 6th gear at WOT all day long..... but you didn't hear that from me.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-16-17, 10:32 PM   #33
z34david
Advanced Contributor Level 3

Car: 17' CWP STI
Fav Mod: Driver Mod
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

z34david is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUBS View Post
In other words ... run your stage 2+ tune on stock injectors in 5th and 6th gear at WOT all day long..... but you didn't hear that from me.
I should buy some 1000ccs to do that

at stage 2
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-17, 07:22 AM   #34
TX STIG
Silver Member

Fav Mod: Corn On The Cobb
My Subaru Parts for sale

TX STIG is a jewel in the roughTX STIG is a jewel in the roughTX STIG is a jewel in the roughTX STIG is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbmotorsport View Post

Agreed. The idea of running tunes that curtail peak boost in 5th and 6th is a great/safe/reasonable practice. However, my comment about "made-up safety precautions" was in response to never running WOT in our top two gears. With our short gearing, I doubt there are many road courses that would limit the STI to only 4th gear. Then throw-in some of our 75 MPH speed limits, where it's common to cruise at 80-85 MPH, and dropping it into 5th at WOT for 2-3 seconds for a quick pass is not uncommon - and shame on Subaru for making a race-inspired performance car where that's unsafe if that safety precaution were true.

"
This is a car for crazy peopleā€ - MotorTrend
Member Journal
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement