Thoughts/Review/Comparison How long does the excitement last? - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
How long does the excitement last?
How long does the excitement last?
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Thoughts/Review/Comparison How long does the excitement last?

Old 07-16-17, 03:28 PM   #31
Nachos Libres
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Valentine 1
My Subaru Parts for sale

Nachos Libres is a jewel in the roughNachos Libres is a jewel in the roughNachos Libres is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How long does the excitement last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake Eater View Post
I must he doing something wrong, I ran it in hard from when I picked it up with 8km on it, I went stage 2+ at 1000km, it's even got a evil GFB BOV.

I get up it every day I drive it, done some track days and been to the drags a few times.

Surely I must be doing something wrong as it's never had a issue.

Maybe if I stop maintaining it, play with the tune myself, show the car no mechanical sympathy and other cool things that the kids seem to like doing, I too can be a cool kid with a lunched motor.

Any hints on how to make my car less reliable would be most welcome so I can have a cool story along the lines of "my car broke and it wasn't my fault".

I await desperately for a resolution to my dilemma............
Haha, I just answered the question. But, if you are insinuating that I didn't maintain it, played with the tune, showed no mechanical sympathy, etc. then you are sorely mistaken.

My car was stock performance wise, had the oil changed every 3,000 miles by either my trusted Subaru dealership or myself, and I checked the oil level every time I bought gas. I personally changed all differential and brake fluids at 30k miles and changed the air filter and cabin air filters per maintenance schedule. I hand washed the car probably on average once a week and maintained the paint and interior very well. In fact when I traded it in earlier this week at the Audi dealership, both the service guys (some of whom owned STIs themselves) and the salesman were astounded that my car was a 2015 model with 35,000 miles on it because of how clean it was - they thought it was a much lower mileage car.

I didn't beat on my car, didn't lug it, and while I would do occasional spirited drives most of the driving was daily driving that consisted of maybe 5-10 miles a day, 4-5 days a week. The engine started knocking and locked up halfway through a 7 hour drive home on the interstate (while on cruise control) and then after receiving a new engine had to go back to the dealership for hesitation issues, which the dealership thought they fixed with a tune, but appeared again as I drove the car to the Audi dealership.

All that to say you can maintain and take care of these cars (and particularly the engine) as much as you want, even leave it stock, and still have an engine that fails. I was always the same belief as you, these engines can take a beating (which I still believe) and as long as you maintain them the right way you won't have an issue (I don't believe this part anymore). I still think the EJ257 is a great engine but with as many issues it has had from people who do take care of them it's too much of a risk for me to want to own one.

Last edited by Nachos Libres; 07-16-17 at 03:35 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-17, 04:19 PM   #32
Cake Eater
Advanced Contributor Level 4

Car: 15 STI
Fav Mod: All of them
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Cake Eater will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachos Libres View Post
Haha, I just answered the question. But, if you are insinuating that I didn't maintain it, played with the tune, showed no mechanical sympathy, etc. then you are sorely mistaken.

My car was stock performance wise, had the oil changed every 3,000 miles by either my trusted Subaru dealership or myself, and I checked the oil level every time I bought gas. I personally changed all differential and brake fluids at 30k miles and changed the air filter and cabin air filters per maintenance schedule. I hand washed the car probably on average once a week and maintained the paint and interior very well. In fact when I traded it in earlier this week at the Audi dealership, both the service guys (some of whom owned STIs themselves) and the salesman were astounded that my car was a 2015 model with 35,000 miles on it because of how clean it was - they thought it was a much lower mileage car.

I didn't beat on my car, didn't lug it, and while I would do occasional spirited drives most of the driving was daily driving that consisted of maybe 5-10 miles a day, 4-5 days a week. The engine started knocking and locked up halfway through a 7 hour drive home on the interstate (while on cruise control) and then after receiving a new engine had to go back to the dealership for hesitation issues, which the dealership thought they fixed with a tune, but appeared again as I drove the car to the Audi dealership.

All that to say you can maintain and take care of these cars (and particularly the engine) as much as you want, even leave it stock, and still have an engine that fails. I was always the same belief as you, these engines can take a beating (which I still believe) and as long as you maintain them the right way you won't have an issue (I don't believe this part anymore). I still think the EJ257 is a great engine but with as many issues it has had from people who do take care of them it's too much of a risk for me to want to own one.
Fair enough, but like all manufacturers of every product ever made, sometimes shit happens.

I admit I did generalize my assumptions, but from my experience the majority of issues are due to the owner.

I do stand by the theory of if you cannot afford to replace a engine, don't modify the one you have, that goes for every manufacturer.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-16-17, 04:58 PM   #33
wiEiEzy
Becoming An Advanced Contributor

Car: 2017 STI
Fav Mod: Weather tech mats so far LOL
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

wiEiEzy is an unknown quantity at this point

When I'm driving in LA traffic, 0 % excitement.. once traffic clears up 100% excitement..
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-17, 05:48 PM   #34
Nachos Libres
Moderator Elite

Fav Mod: Valentine 1
My Subaru Parts for sale

Nachos Libres is a jewel in the roughNachos Libres is a jewel in the roughNachos Libres is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake Eater View Post
Fair enough, but like all manufacturers of every product ever made, sometimes shit happens.

I admit I did generalize my assumptions, but from my experience the majority of issues are due to the owner.

I do stand by the theory of if you cannot afford to replace a engine, don't modify the one you have, that goes for every manufacturer.
No worries bro, I understand where you are coming from, and I would mostly agree with you. I mean, there is also a reason why the WRX/STI has some of the highest comprehensive and collision rates for insurance - because the drivers are involved in so many dang wrecks (due to owners). I saved almost $200/yr by going from the STI to the S3 (which played a very small part in the decision to switch).

And I know the last comment wasn't directed at me, as I did have the money to replace the engine if need be, but for me the excitement was just gone. I think a big part of it was the engine locking up and how the dealership it was towed to handled it (at least on the front end) but also just getting older. The wing was one of the reasons I loved my first 2005 STI and then this STI, but as of late I was just starting to get tired of it. I also wanted a nicer interior and a car where at highway speeds my wife and I could have a normal conversation without having to talk so loud over the road noise.

I know the STI doesn't fit the bill of those things and was never intended to. I still think the STI is a great car - if you want a great bang for the buck car that looks great on the outside and has great performance and you want to feel the road as you drive then the STI is for you. I think for me it was just time to move on and the engine issues were just the catalyst to get me to realize that.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-16-17, 06:47 PM   #35
Cake Eater
Advanced Contributor Level 4

Car: 15 STI
Fav Mod: All of them
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Cake Eater will become famous soon enough

Quote:
No worries bro, I understand where you are coming from, and I would mostly agree with you. I mean, there is also a reason why the WRX/STI has some of the highest comprehensive and collision rates for insurance - because the drivers are involved in so many dang wrecks (due to owners). I saved almost $200/yr by going from the STI to the S3 (which played a very small part in the decision to switch).

And I know the last comment wasn't directed at me, as I did have the money to replace the engine if need be, but for me the excitement was just gone. I think a big part of it was the engine locking up and how the dealership it was towed to handled it (at least on the front end) but also just getting older. The wing was one of the reasons I loved my first 2005 STI and then this STI, but as of late I was just starting to get tired of it. I also wanted a nicer interior and a car where at highway speeds my wife and I could have a normal conversation without having to talk so loud over the road noise.

I know the STI doesn't fit the bill of those things and was never intended to. I still think the STI is a great car - if you want a great bang for the buck car that looks great on the outside and has great performance and you want to feel the road as you drive then the STI is for you. I think for me it was just time to move on and the engine issues were just the catalyst to get me to realize that.
Good assessment.

I'm just waiting for the kids to all get their licenses so I can get them their own cars, as soon as that happens I'll sell the STI and get another MX5.

For me at least, the MX5 platform, when set up right, is the most engaging car I have ever owned.

A sorted S2000 would be nice as well.

It was even more fun than my 500hp Skyline, albeit having only 25% of the power.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-17-17, 05:52 AM   #36
kolkim
Contributor

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

kolkim is an unknown quantity at this point

The excitement lasts until you hear knock knock, whos there? Rod. Then you sit at home thinking about your next dream car..
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-17-17, 11:32 AM   #37
bboytaktix
Advanced Mastery Level III

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Subaru Parts for sale

bboytaktix has a spectacular aura aboutbboytaktix has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Noticed you had swapped from an STI to an S3...I am actually looking to make a swap next spring/summer to a new car and the two at the top of my list are a 2018 STi sport tech (because recaros) and a similarly priced S3 (so no major options) and was wondering how you compare the two cars. Not sure I am past my 'boy racer' phase yet as I still greatly enjoy my current STI, just that it is getting old, warranty just ended (the extended one) and it will be time for something new.

If my car had less miles and/or still had warranty I would keep it as long as I could. Love this car/platform. With a few non-engine mods you can be super happy and still maintain warranyt and have a blast driving it year-round. Also a car that is not overly complex nor expensive to do your own maintenance.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-17-17, 12:25 PM   #38
Yanbags
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Car: '17 Camaro SS 1LE
Fav Mod: Seat Time
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Yanbags will become famous soon enough

For me, the excitement lasted ~2 years. I moved on to a BRZ and that excitement lasted 1 year lol. Hopefully the latest toy will last longer than the previous two combined
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-17-17, 12:37 PM   #39
TX STIG
Silver Member

Fav Mod: Corn On The Cobb
My Subaru Parts for sale

TX STIG is a jewel in the roughTX STIG is a jewel in the roughTX STIG is a jewel in the roughTX STIG is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanbags View Post
For me, the excitement lasted ~2 years. I moved on to a BRZ and that excitement lasted 1 year lol. Hopefully the latest toy will last longer than the previous two combined
What's that, a Camaro? Wish they were more common, I never see any on the street.

"
This is a car for crazy peopleā€ - MotorTrend
Member Journal
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-17-17, 12:44 PM   #40
Yanbags
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Car: '17 Camaro SS 1LE
Fav Mod: Seat Time
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Yanbags will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX STIG View Post
What's that, a Camaro? Wish they were more common, I never see any on the street.
I'm almost embarrassed to admit it. I've never, ever, considered any American car in my life but this 1LE is something else. They have come a LONG way. Shaking the car down at Watkins Glen in August and need to complete break-in before that.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement