Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: SPW 09 WRX Sti
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Miruguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stage 1 tuning

So i've gone thru A LOT of cobb stage 1-2 tuning threads the last few weeks. My plan is to have a smoother, reliable daily driver. I do not track at all. I've had stage two and stage two protune on other cars in the past but don't want to be bothered with all the additional parts this time around because 1) i don't want to spend the additional money or hassle 2) do not need that much more performance on a already good car.

After sorting thru all the info, i think a stage 1 OTS tune from Cobb is what i need to best suit my needs. My confusion is when it comes to people saying OTS maps is not good because its made for the masses and not specific to my car. I understand this but just needed clarification on the stock map from Subaru. Does each Sti and WRX get a custom tune from Subaru before it's delivered to a dealer or does it get a "standard OTS tune"?

If both are basically OTS tunes, wouldn't a COBB stage 1 tune be much safer and reliable since it doesnt need to conform to emissions regulations where they lean out the tune between 3-5k?

I spoke to COBB and a mechanic with Subaru yesterday and both told me there is no way a dealer can see that a ECU has been flashed once the AP has been unmarried completely from the car.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-17, 06:34 AM   #2
raisingAnarchy
Advanced Contributor Level 4

Car: CBS '16 STI
Fav Mod: Driver mod
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

raisingAnarchy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Stage 1 tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miruguy View Post
Does each Sti and WRX get a custom tune from Subaru before it's delivered to a dealer or does it get a "standard OTS tune"?
That's a great question, subscribed for the answer because idk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miruguy View Post
I spoke to COBB and a mechanic with Subaru yesterday and both told me there is no way a dealer can see that a ECU has been flashed once the AP has been unmarried completely from the car.
I'm pretty sure in the case of you completely removing and unmarrying the AP from the car, their lead indicator then would be the number of key turns/engine cycles. You're generally not unmarrying the AP for any reason other than you've had an issue that requires warranty work, so you're likely not going to get a sufficient number of engine cycles in that time.

Though I've heard people suggest that you buy a new battery and install it so that when they ask about cycles you can point to a new battery.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 05-17-17, 06:42 AM   #3
BrenTuning
Authorized Vendor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

BrenTuning will become famous soon enough

The OTS Maps are fine, but at the end of the day are one size fits all and not specific to your particular car, mods, fuel quality, altitude etc. When you etune or dyno tune it, it is custom for your specific car/conditions. There are definitely gains in power over the OTS maps, please see thread from a customer who gave a review from a few years back.

2015 STi | Stage 1 Protune | BrenTuning

Cobb Certified ProTuner
Web: Brentuning.com
Phone: 508-762-1769
Email: Sales@BrenTuning.com
Facebook: Facebook.com/brentuning
Instagram: @Brentuning
Address:138 Milford St, Upton, MA
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-17, 09:30 AM   #4
motivatedtuna
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Fav Mod: Nameless muffler delete
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

motivatedtuna is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd say keep it stock, yeah it's a pain to drive sometimes haha, but if it's under warranty still, I'd keep it until it blows up or the warranty is up. Plus, people start having issues once they go stage 1 anyways. Why risk it? Keep it under warranty, get a new engine.. break it in and then tune it, atleast, that's what I'm planning to do if my engine decides to take a dump.
To each their own though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-17-17, 12:29 PM   #5
Barajasl011
Active Participant

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Barajasl011 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had no issues with just my protune, i am happy where it is. Currenly my 15 sti has 65k

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-17-17, 12:55 PM   #6
earth0
Advanced Contributor Level 5
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 15 STI
Fav Mod: ELH E85
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

earth0 is on a distinguished road

I'd said don't bother to tune your car if you are worry so much. It just stage 1 nothing more.
One way or another!
If you care about warranty = No tune
If you want more power then forget the warranty and go to stage 2 or stage 3 E85. Safe money.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-17-17, 02:44 PM   #7
Effortlessflow
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Effortlessflow is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrenTuning View Post
The OTS Maps are fine, but at the end of the day are one size fits all and not specific to your particular car, mods, fuel quality, altitude etc. When you etune or dyno tune it, it is custom for your specific car/conditions. There are definitely gains in power over the OTS maps, please see thread from a customer who gave a review from a few years back.

Hey Bren
I had planned a long conversation with the OP about the merits of a pro tune vs stock or an OTS map, but I checked out the link you provided and if that doesn't convince him nothing I was going to say matters, I was curious if a person dropped off a stock STI what you could get out of it, awesome work..OP what more can you ask for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-17-17, 07:28 PM   #8
Miruguy
Contributor

Car: SPW 09 WRX Sti
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Miruguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrenTuning View Post

Thanks for that link Brentuning. Great review and pretty much covered what i was asking.

My goal for this car is to have the perfect daily driver. It's not about getting more power and speed, because i think the stock tune is good enough in terms of that. I don't race anyone, nor do i look to gain an edge on the track as i don't do autocross or track. I just wanted it to be a little smoother and efficient.

I must give credit to Subaru- after 10 years with this EJ motor, they have pretty much perfected the way this car drives right out of the box. The combination of the suspension, tires and turning radius makes this the best handling Sti ever by far. Even swapping out my shift knob for something better aesthetically looking(but a bit lighter), has made it feel not in harmony as it did with the stock knob. Subaru really did their homework in every area with this car.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-17-17, 08:28 PM   #9
motivatedtuna

Fav Mod: Nameless muffler delete
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

motivatedtuna is an unknown quantity at this point

Since we're talking about tuning, and how interesting a stock pro tune can be, anyone in cali or west coast used snail performance?
Thinking about using them if I were to do anything to my subie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-18-17, 04:00 AM   #10
SlowInFastOut

Car: 2011 Grey Sti Sedan
Fav Mod: 1.5xtr
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

SlowInFastOut is on a distinguished road

The snail performance guys do a great job and also are actively racing all the time with their shop car. They will do you right if you go there.

Do more research on the shops in that area. They all do pretty well.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement