Interior Help with Defi racer gauge dimming violet wire doesnt work? - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
STI Products
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Help with Defi racer gauge dimming violet wire doesnt work?
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Interior Help with Defi racer gauge dimming violet wire doesnt work?
Welcome to IWSTI - The world's largest Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum!
Welcome to the IWSTI.com Subaru Impreza WRX STI forum.

You are currently viewing IWSTI.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and learn more about the Subaru Impreza WRX STi models. Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 04-21-17, 08:24 PM   #1
17sticwp
Active Participant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

17sticwp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with Defi racer gauge dimming violet wire doesnt work?

Hey guys,

I have a Defi racer oil temp gauge that I have wired up. All works fine except for the dimming. I have read for days on this subject, originally I wired the defi white wire (illumination) to the illumination fuse via add-a-fuse. Did not dim.

Just got done removing the radio, wired the white defi wire to the solid violet wire on the back of the radio and still no dimming!

I see there is a "illumination wire" (violet) but in other diagrams there is a black/white (12v-) wire on the back of the radio for dimming... should I connect the white defi wire to the black/white wire??

For wiring purposes I have a 2017 Sti with HK/Nav.

Please help! Thank you!

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-22-17, 05:58 AM   #2
raisingAnarchy
Advanced Contributor Level 3

Car: CBS '16 STI
Fav Mod: Driver mod
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

raisingAnarchy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help with Defi racer gauge dimming violet wire doesnt work?

Did you post the same question on nasioc? There was a guy with a 2015 who responded to a thread I made yesterday saying the violet wire is what he used. Power/ground/etc for aftermarket gauges

What did you use for power? add a fuse?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-22-17, 06:19 AM   #3
raisingAnarchy

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Also, check this video out. The link should take you right to the 22:57 mark where he posts a diagram of the wiring. 12v+ illumination is labeled as pin 10 on the main radio harness: WRX Sound System Upgrade Part 4: Amp and Sub Installation - YouTube

I can't see the color through the vid though and I haven't actually pulled the car apart yet.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-22-17, 08:14 AM   #4
17sticwp
Active Participant

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingAnarchy View Post
Did you post the same question on nasioc? There was a guy with a 2015 who responded to a thread I made yesterday saying the violet wire is what he used. Power/ground/etc for aftermarket gauges

What did you use for power? add a fuse?
Yeah I did, and yeah I read your thread before posting my own, unfortunately as I stated earlier the violet wire isn't working for me.

I wired switched power off of the ACC circuit and the constant 12v off of the stop light circuit, both using add-a-fuse. Gauge works great, just no dimming.

In that video, there is Pin 10 for Illumin + and pin 15 for illumin - ... that I believe is the black/white wire i'm debating trying out. Defi instructions say though that the white illumination wire is looking for 12v+... but Subaru apparently uses some backwards way to dim the gauges.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-22-17, 11:33 AM   #5
17sticwp
Active Participant

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingAnarchy View Post
Also, check this video out. The link should take you right to the 22:57 mark where he posts a diagram of the wiring. 12v+ illumination is labeled as pin 10 on the main radio harness: WRX Sound System Upgrade Part 4: Amp and Sub Installation - YouTube

I can't see the color through the vid though and I haven't actually pulled the car apart yet.
Ok, so the video is correct! There are TWO violet wires behind the radio. I mistakenly used the one I saw, which was connected to the bottom most gray connector, that's not the right one. Once I used the pin 10 from the video above (violet) gauge works and dims perfectly.

The next level of this would be to trace that wire to under the dash to splice there as pulling out the whole head unit just for this is a huge pain!

Be careful with the 10mm bolts on the side of the radio, they fall easily! I left my drivers side one out just for ease of access for next time, glad I did since I've pulled it 3 times since.

Good luck!
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 04-22-17, 01:21 PM   #6
raisingAnarchy

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17sticwp View Post
Yeah I did, and yeah I read your thread before posting my own, unfortunately as I stated earlier the violet wire isn't working for me.

I wired switched power off of the ACC circuit and the constant 12v off of the stop light circuit, both using add-a-fuse. Gauge works great, just no dimming.

In that video, there is Pin 10 for Illumin + and pin 15 for illumin - ... that I believe is the black/white wire i'm debating trying out. Defi instructions say though that the white illumination wire is looking for 12v+... but Subaru apparently uses some backwards way to dim the gauges.
Quote:
Ok, so the video is correct! There are TWO violet wires behind the radio. I mistakenly used the one I saw, which was connected to the bottom most gray connector, that's not the right one. Once I used the pin 10 from the video above (violet) gauge works and dims perfectly.

The next level of this would be to trace that wire to under the dash to splice there as pulling out the whole head unit just for this is a huge pain!

Be careful with the 10mm bolts on the side of the radio, they fall easily! I left my drivers side one out just for ease of access for next time, glad I did since I've pulled it 3 times since.

Good luck!
Ahh ok, I was planning to use add-a-fuse as well. Did you do fuses #8 and #20 on the driver's side fuse circuit? Just trying to make sure I understand which you're referencing based on the owner's manual fuse diagram.

I've been having trouble with that last bolt on the side as well. Definitely worried about it falling, but was thinking I just need the right extension.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-22-17, 01:35 PM   #7
17sticwp
Active Participant

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

No, I used the STOP fuse for constant 12v (labeled on the back of the little door thing to access fuses) and used the ACC fuse for switched 12v. The stop fuse is for the brake lights. Both 7.5amp.

Most people use the door lock for constant, but I didn't want to have any potential for a fuse to disable me from getting in the car or leaving me stranded or whatever.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 04-22-17, 01:47 PM   #8
raisingAnarchy

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
No, I used the STOP fuse for constant 12v (labeled on the back of the little door thing to access fuses) and used the ACC fuse for switched 12v. The stop fuse is for the brake lights. Both 7.5amp.

Most people use the door lock for constant, but I didn't want to have any potential for a fuse to disable me from getting in the car or leaving me stranded or whatever.
Makes sense. Glad you were able to figure it out and I hope that video helped a bit. And thank you for sharing info as well!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-22-17, 03:03 PM   #9
17sticwp
Active Participant

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

The video definitely helped, thank you!

Yeah I wanted to follow up since my hours of research showed not many people coming back to follow up with anything helpful, it was always like "thanks guys I figured it out" and no details.

Thanks again, don't hesitate to post here or PM me. It's easy once you know what to connect to.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-18-17, 02:05 PM   #10
cbrenthus
Becoming A Contributor

Car: 2017 Black STi
Fav Mod: Removing the paint protection myself :)
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

cbrenthus is an unknown quantity at this point

Do your gauges dim incrementally with the dimmer? Or do they just have 2 modes - right and dim? I
Ask because I have defi advance BF and when I use the dimmer dial, they hit a point and dim, or hit a point and go bright, but that's it, they aren't matching the rest of the interior.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0